Should we remove an old thread?

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
A very old, venerable thread, "~~~Welcome to the Distributed Computing Forum~~~" has not been updated for years. {edit} I quoted Hurricane Andrew in the greeting but he was not the author. :blush:

I am considering "unsticking" it from the top of our forum.

Any comments or opinions?

Last edited:

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, the last line says "If you see a broken link or an error please PM Smoke with the correction."

It may be time to let it go though.

Reactions: Smoke

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
Well, it needs updated perhaps, regarding projects, but I feel it is well written and informative still.

Thank you for the "well written and informative still" comment.

The only thing that is untimely is the project list and links. For now l am just going to remove that portion. I've saved the deleted portion and can always put it back. Or if someone wants to work up an up to date version in its place ... any volunteers?

Fardringle's thread "Comprehensive BOINC project list" is more comprehensive but it too seems a little old for it has been a while since it has been updated. (created by Fardringle, March 8 of 2006, last edited on November 27, 2009) I am waiting for a reply from him. So let's see how things go that.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
I actually looked at and read through a lot of those projects. I've been crunching off and on since 2000 with SETI, starting team for me back then was Hardware Central, so the nostalgia of the thread is appealing to me, and still informative as Tony said.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Yea I think we need some sort of welcome thread along with a project list.

What did you mean by 'untimely is the project list and links', I think you typod ;)
Was there a lot of dead projects in the list?

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
What did you mean by 'untimely is the project list and links', I think you typod ;)
Was there a lot of dead projects in the list?

He he he, hello Ass...1 --- my original recruiter. :)

Me? Typod? Well, we do speak a different language, don't we. :astonished:

Here for all of us to peruse is the portion I removed:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Project website quick reference, by category:

Projects run under the BOINC platform --- BOINC Homepage

[*]Life Sciences

Malaria Control Beta --- Team name - TeAm AnandTech

Rosetta@Home --- Team name - TeAm AnandTech

SIMAP --- Team name - TeAm Anandtech

QMC@Home --- Team name - TeAm AnandTech

World Community Grid --- Team name - TeAm AnandTech

[*]Mathematics

SZTAKI Desktop Grid --- Team name - TeAm AnandTech

[*] Science

Climate Prediction --- Team name - TeAm AnandTech

Einstein@Home --- Team name - TeAm AnandTech

Leiden Classical --- Team name - TeAm AnandTech

LHC@HOME --- Team name -TeAm AnandTech --- Sometimes this project has no work to send out so it's best to run at least 1 other BOINC project at the same time.

SETI@Home --- Team name - TeAm AnandTech

uFluids --- Team name -TeAm AnandTech

The above list is only the more popular & stable of the BOINC projects.

For complete info on all BOINC projects, please see Fardringle's Comprehensive BOINC project list

To join one or more of these BOINC projects, choose "Attach to project" in BOINC-Manager, and copy the URL for the project you want to join. You can make an account in BOINC-Manager if you haven't got one from before. At the end, remember to visit the team-URL to join TeAm AnandTech.

For system requirements for each project, look here, here & here.

Projects with their own Distributed Computing infrastructure

[*] Cryptography

OGR:RC5-72 --- Team name - AnandTech 10635

[*] Life Sciences

Community TSC --- Team name - Team AnandTech

D2OL --- Team name - Team AnandTech

Folding@Home --- Team number - 198 --- F@H setup guide by MDE

Ubero --- Team name - TeAm AnandTech

[*] Mathematics

ECMNET

Euler --- Team name - Team AnandTech

SoB - Seventeen Or Bust --- Team name - Anandtech

[*] Science

DIMES Internet Mapper --- Team name - TeAm AnandTech --- Low CPU use, but a lot of Bandwith, and thus can be run along with another DC project.

DPAD --- Team name - Team Anandtech

eOn --- Team name - Team AnandTech

Evolution@Home

Stardust@Home - There are no teams for this, it's an individual project.

General DC Notes

Some projects, BOINC & non-BOINC, are down for extended periods. Either re-coding their clients, re-aiming their scientific search, possible lack of funding or many other reasons, not knowing when they will be open again. For that reason not all TeAm run projects are shown here. For the complete list of TeAm run projects, please visit our TeAm AnandTech Websites:

TeAm AnandTech DC Projects hosted by "amdxborg"

Many of the projects have daily stats threads posted by members here on the forums. If you have any questions about a certain project please post in the stats thread. If no thread is available, feel free to start your own thread.

Look over the various projects. Most are very easy to set up and run, don't require 24 hour/day operation (but once addicted, you may just do that), and have almost no effect on the operation of your everyday PC(s).

For a general overview about Distributed Computing and various projects, please visit Kirk's Dstributed Computing Info site or the List of Distributed Computing Projects Wiki

If you have a question, please jump right in and ask ... or just say hello! You'll be glad you did, and we will, too!
clip_image001.png

If you see a broken link or an error please PM Smoke with the correction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The links probably will not make it through the cut/copy/paste into Word.

[edit] Well, well, it appears the links did survive the moving around. :cool:

As Orange Kid pointed out, I used to make corrections, modifications, and additions but it has been many years since anyone reported such things to me. And then I am getting older and more cranky. :tonguewink:

[edit] I just realized, the link to "PM Smoke" no longer functions with the current forum software we have started using this year.

That should be, "Start a new Conversation with Smoke" to report broken links or errors.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hey Greg :)
Ok, even if not a typo I still didn't understand what you meant. Untimely means bad timing, right? ;)

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Who are you to try and teach us English? You think you are, I dunno, like, an English British citizen or something? :p Hi Mark!

Last edited:

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
Mark, you are correct ... I should have said "not up to date". You got me again. :p

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Smoke, I think what you have in the post now is a good introduction to this forum. Hurricane Andrews' comments still hold true today. I like what you have and think it should stay as it is.
An updated list may be a good idea but it is hard to maintain in the ever changing world of DC. Projects seem to come and go at a furious rate. Even some of the more mature projects have ended. Maybe a short list of major projects and a way to find the other projects in a separate post such as Fardringles' would be best.

Smoke

Jan 3, 2001
Smoke, I think what you have in the post now is a good introduction to this forum. Hurricane Andrews' comments still hold true today. I like what you have and think it should stay as it is.
An updated list may be a good idea but it is hard to maintain in the ever changing world of DC. Projects seem to come and go at a furious rate. Even some of the more mature projects have ended. Maybe a short list of major projects and a way to find the other projects in a separate post such as Fardringles' would be best.

I always like to give most weight on a topic to our longest standing and most respected members. :)

I have fixed the "Contact Smoke" to work with our newest forum software including instructions concerning the starting of a new conversation with me when necessary. I would like to ask for help on the project(s) you all are most familiar and contact me with corrections, improvements, and additions to our forum's "Welcome Thread".