Should we put more emphasis on education?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakzum

Banned
Sep 12, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbnwleOxB4E

I remember that I never studied in high school and played starcraft 2 all day long. I remember one of the reasons was because whenever I told I had a good grade at school, I couldn't brag because they said "that's because you studied", so I stopped studying. Should the government push children to work harder at school or should it be the parents' responsibility?

MayorOfAmerica

Apr 29, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbnwleOxB4E

I remember that I never studied in high school and played starcraft 2 all day long. I remember one of the reasons was because whenever I told I had a good grade at school, I couldn't brag because they said "that's because you studied", so I stopped studying. Should the government push children to work harder at school or should it be the parents' responsibility?

No kidding.

McWatt

Feb 25, 2010
Wait, really? Paraphrasing the scenario in your post:

You: Look at me, I did well on a test.

Peer: Whatever. You didn't get that grade through voodoo or luck - you only did well because you studied.

You: <shame>

For reference, successful studying is what you're supposed to be bragging about.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Wait, really? Paraphrasing the scenario in your post:

You: Look at me, I did well on a test.

Peer: Whatever. You didn't get that grade through voodoo or luck - you only did well because you studied.

You: <shame>

For reference, successful studying is what you're supposed to be bragging about.
Bill Cosby: Well, you see kids play the starcraft which causes the brain damage.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Should we put more emphasis on education?

We can send people to school, but we can not force them to learn.

American schools teach one way, and that is "sit down and shut up". If someone does not learn by reading and listening, they get left behind.

People learn 2 different ways - reading and doing.

Schools cater to people that can learn by reading.

If a someone learns by doing, they usually make bad grades and are left behind.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
There are some people that can read a book once and they remember most of what they saw. Other people are clueless when it comes to memorization but are often good at math. Maybe what we need is high schools that specialize in different curriculum. Why should everyone study the same subjects? Not everyone is going to have the same job.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I hate giving legitimate responses to troll threads, but sometimes I feel like we put too much emphasis in education and should instead encourage vocational schools for some students instead of trying to push everyone off to a 4-year college where most get useless degrees.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I hate giving legitimate responses to troll threads, but sometimes I feel like we put too much emphasis in education and should instead encourage vocational schools for some students instead of trying to push everyone off to a 4-year college where most get useless degrees.

I'm not sure the type of school is really the problem. After all, it's entirely possible to get a very useful education at a 4-year school...the kind a vocational school might not be suited to giving. The problem with college isn't college itself, it's that a bunch of idiots show up with no idea what they want to do and then spend 4 years not really accomplishing much. Education gives people plenty of opportunity, but a lot of people don't do anything useful with it.

Which is not to say that learning a trade instead of getting an education isn't a valid way to go, but I'm not sure it's the panacea some people suggest it is (not saying you're one of those people). Our society needs auto mechanics like any other, but what makes us really great are the educated folks with big ideas. Education shouldn't be ignored just because it takes more personal drive to make the most of it.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
We can send people to school, but we can not force them to learn.

American schools teach one way, and that is "sit down and shut up". If someone does not learn by reading and listening, they get left behind.

People learn 2 different ways - reading and doing.

Schools cater to people that can learn by reading.

If a someone learns by doing, they usually make bad grades and are left behind.
Sit down & shut up???? o_O maybe years ago or some Catholic schools with a mean nun a big stick and a short temper:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4pN-aiofw

Status
Not open for further replies.