Should we be required to identify ourselves to police officers?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Originally posted by: SilentZero
I agree with the law here. Law enforcement should be allowed to ID someone when they wish. After all...if they suspect someone for something, no matter what the reason, they should be able to verify his/her identity. There are thousands of people in the country wanted for something or other by law enforcement, and IDing someone is critical in taking them off the street.

Example: Some guy is arguing with someone else on the street. Cops come, check the individuals ID, and find out that he has a warrant for his arrest (or is wanted for any number of things, including national security threats). If the cop didn't have the right to ID him, he would have simply left and been able to continue the illegal behavior.

Theres many reasons why law enforcement should have this right, and I can't think of any reason why it should be taken away. With all law enforcement (police, FBI, etc) do to protect our way of life, offering up an ID is hardly a sacrifice. There has to be limits of course, but checking ID is well below the threshold.

In my opnion if you wouldn't want any normal citizen asking for your ID then cops shouldn't be able to ask for ID when ever they want.

I wouldn't want any normal citizen coming to help me when there's a guy breaking into my house...

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Originally posted by: sygyzy
I agree that our identity and information is considered property. Intellectual if anything. If they can ask you for your name now, what will stop a male officer from asking if a female "suspect" is dating anyone?

It's great that FallenHero is such a big fan of giving information away. I am by no means anti-government but I see a very dangerous path we are heading toward here. With the Patriot Act and the acts that followed, soon phone taps, email logs, etc will be even more prevalent and generally accepted. Why hasn't this been a problem 4 months ago? 2 years ago? It has, you just weren't around to see the arguments. Privacy has and always will be an issue. But it'll only get worse because of people that basically volunteer everything they have at the first flash of a siren.

Last time I checked all he has given out is his name, school and age. Which i have done also in my history here at ATOT. Could it be maybe we just dont have anything to hide? Its not like hes giving out his credit card numbers or social security number to everyone.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: MartyMcFly3
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: MartyMcFly3
Originally posted by: Yossarian
I agree with the law here. Law enforcement should be allowed to ID someone when they wish. After all...if they suspect someone for something, no matter what the reason, they should be able to verify his/her identity. There are thousands of people in the country wanted for something or other by law enforcement, and IDing someone is critical in taking them off the street.

Example: Some guy is arguing with someone else on the street. Cops come, check the individuals ID, and find out that he has a warrant for his arrest (or is wanted for any number of things, including national security threats). If the cop didn't have the right to ID him, he would have simply left and been able to continue the illegal behavior.

Theres many reasons why law enforcement should have this right, and I can't think of any reason why it should be taken away. With all law enforcement (police, FBI, etc) do to protect our way of life, offering up an ID is hardly a sacrifice. There has to be limits of course, but checking ID is well below the threshold.

Law enforcement should NOT have this right. I am a law-abiding citizen, I should not be obligated to present my papers upon request unless there is probable cause of some crime.

Why the hell is it such a big deal? Christ you people make it sound like youre going to get the chair if you show cops your ID...

Have you ever been hassled, bothered, arrested, or detained when you weren't doing anything wrong?

Never been arrested. As for hassled/bothered.... yes I can think of a few occasions. One example was where I had just gotten my license a week before, so I wanted to rent a video and a cop was in the parking lot. He asked to take a look at my ID. I gave it to him since I had nothing to hide. After he saw that I was indeed of legal driving age, we had a conversation about what movie i was going to rent and just shot the sh!t. It didnt bother me at all. I didnt think "fvck those cops" afterwards. Cops arent always the bad guys. All my experiences with policemen (been pulled over twice, received only verbal warnings) have been positive, and if that hasnt been the case with you, dont let one bad apple spoil the bunch. Not all cops are powertripping assholes.

Of course they aren't all powertripping assholes.... most are not. However, I still don't think I should have to prove who I am and that I didn't commit a crime to go to the store and back.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: MacBaine
Originally posted by: cheapbidder01

I can think of one good reason: ABUSE! Check out the very beginning of this thread.

Any power can be abused. That's like saying we should take away their right to make traffic stops because that right can be abused.

Taking away a right and limiting a right are two different things IMO.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

I can think of one good reason: ABUSE! Check out the very beginning of this thread.

Any power can be abused. That's like saying we should take away their right to make traffic stops because that right can be abused.

That is why we limit the power of cops to pull people over only when they have commited a crime.

That is why we limit the power of cops to pull people over only when they have commited a crime.

Yes, but at the same time, cops run plates without pulling them over first to see if something needs to be looked into, such as a suspended driver. The same thing can be said with names. Its not like its an invasion of privacy people...its a backround check to let them know who they are dealing with. This power has been around for a LONG time, so again I ask, why is it a problem now?

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: FallenHero
Originally posted by: Graphicd00d
Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

You people need to read the U.S. Constitution.

You need to comprehend it. Nothing is being siezed, no one is being arrested. Its asking for a name. No one is being frisked...its a name.

You should have to get a warrent to ask for my ID it is paper and it is mine.

It was given to you so you could identify yourself when needed. Like in such a case... By the way, I don't even think it is yours. Try to sell it to find out for sure.

Calin

Joker81

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000

Of course any power can be abused. But if they are not allowed to make you show you papers then only the few rogues would and possibly getting in big ass trouble.

Yes there are cops who abuse their power to make traffic stops. Yet all cops can make traffic stops.

If there is a law allowing cops to stop people and ask for ID. Cops will legally start asking people for ID and also the cops abusing that power. Right now that power is being debated.

Joker81

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n
Papers, bitte.

No Joke.

The problem in our society today is that we are encouragin/getting them to accept our Children(although i don't have any) to be tracked. In some schools they require all kids to we ID tags that they have to be visable while at school. Some schools I think are also using tracking devices in the ID tags to know if the kid is on campus or not. Everybody uses the argument that we need to be safer. But the only way the government sees us being safer is that if all of our information is made availible to them at all times. How much privacy do we need to give up till you feel safe.

Should we all install cameras in our house so the police know if im growing weed or not.

People don't believe that this wouldn't happen. If you haven't read "1984" read it. Then look at Englands video camera system. A camera on every corner to prevent crimes. Time is on the governments side. It won't happen in the life of the older generation 40+ but with our childen fearing terrorist threats and politicians wanting better security its only a matter of time.

Should 80% of population be inconvienced by ID stops for 20%(this is probably a high number) of possible criminals. with probably way less then that who have warrants for capital crimes.

cambre

Jan 29, 2003
Interesting thread.

I feel that cops should not have this freedom. If they did, then what's next? Should they be allowed to fingerprint anyone they choose? How about get a dna sample from anyone? These are all forms of ID right? Example:

Say a rape occurs and a semen sample is found at the scene. Should the cops be allowed to just go around and knock on everyone's door and collect dna samples? According to some of you, this is fine since you should have nothing to hide, right?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Personally, I think you should provide an ID to the cops when asked. Its not like its hard to pull out your driver's license when asked. If you are driving, you should have one on you anyway. Shoot, every time a cop pulls someone over for a traffic, they ask you for yoru license and registation. How would they know your license is suspended or revoked because of a past incident if you could legally refuse to provide an ID?

Yeesh people. The police have a job to do.

Joker81

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Personally, I think you should provide an ID to the cops when asked. Its not like its hard to pull out your driver's license when asked. If you are driving, you should have one on you anyway. Shoot, every time a cop pulls someone over for a traffic, they ask you for yoru license and registation. How would they know your license is suspended or revoked because of a past incident if you could legally refuse to provide an ID?

Yeesh people. The police have a job to do.

The question isn't about providing ID when pulled over since they are allowed to ask because you Have to have a drivers license to drive and you have to prove that you are able to drive. The question is about if you are walking down a street and a cop rolls up and wants to see your ID for something suspicious.

Basically this would give them the ability to STOP YOU walking down the street with your kids. Hold you for 10 minutes questioning you doing a lookup on your whole background just because you may or may not be a suspicious person. I believe that if this is allowed more racial profiling will occur. I mean whats to stop a officer from stopping someone that looks Terrorist like and whats to stop them they have a law that would allow them to do this?

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Unless you are stopped in a car, you do NOT have to identify yourself to a cop or answer any of his question. Unless you are in a car, you do NOT have to have ID on you. Simple as that. If cops arrest you walking down the street because you wouldn't give them your name, it will be thrown out of court and you could probably sue for false imprisionment and/or other things for wasting your time.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Every year, the US Supreme Court decides to hear one or two cases where the Justices get to show their lighter sides, because being a judge can't always be about depressing and vexing problems like whether someone is going to get a lethal injection next month.

The case is an absolute no-brainer, the petitioner is usually a complete nincompoop, but they take the case for sh!ts and giggles, anyway. Often, they approach the legal arguments with the seriousness of a major constitutional quandary, but the somber tone soon gives way to witty remarks, brilliant satire, and biting sarcasm as they begin to explore the philosphical and practical merits of the case.

A few of the Justices can really mix it up in ways you wouldn't expect. Despite Ruth Bader Ginsberg's outwardly prudish and purse-lipped manner, she has a remarkably witty sense of humor. Even Clarence Thomas, who usually seems to be gunning for the title of World's Most Insufferable Bore, gets in the action and exhibits some sign that he actually has a pulse.

This is one of those cases. I can't wait for the decision.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Originally posted by: GroundZero
it is illegal to not cary identification on your person in the usa

I call bullshit without some proof.

It is bullsh|t. You can be on private property without identification. Once you step into public, you're required to have ID on you or be arrested.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: royaldank
Unless you are stopped in a car, you do NOT have to identify yourself to a cop or answer any of his question. Unless you are in a car, you do NOT have to have ID on you. Simple as that. If cops arrest you walking down the street because you wouldn't give them your name, it will be thrown out of court and you could probably sue for false imprisionment and/or other things for wasting your time.

lol - is your ass empty now? Or do you have more?
rolleye.gif

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt

rolleye.gif

I'll admit the suing part is far fetched, but you don't have to answer a cop if you don't want and you don't have to have id unless you're in a car.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

It is bullsh|t. You can be on private property without identification. Once you step into public, you're required to have ID on you or be arrested.

Nah, you're wrong Nik. You don't have to have ID period.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

rolleye.gif

I'll admit the suing part is far fetched, but you don't have to answer a cop if you don't want and you don't have to have id unless you're in a car.

Linky?

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: nick1985
yes, you should.

it may come as a shocker to many of you...but the police are there to help and protect you :Q

Lies. All lies!

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001

Linky?[/quote]

ACLU Website.

From article above:

1. It's not a crime to refuse to answer questions, but refusing to answer can make the police suspicious about you. You can't be arrested merely for refusing to identify yourself on the street.

WoofyJr

Jul 31, 2002

hmmm no you re still wrong...... We are NOT REQUIRED to carry i.d. anywhere in America even in public ...... They re saying we should carry I.D for some pursposes as such to prove who you are. I would say it's wise to carry i.d. with ya all the time to avoid any probems with cops. It's leagal to carry without ID in America. The officer cannot ask unless it's reasonable to give police your i.d. such as probable cause or commiting crime. The police cannot stop by and ask you for you ID for just wondering why you're walking around in the rich resident area as if they supsect you plan to rob one of the rich house. They still cannot ask you for I.D. peroid without any reasons.

I agree with some of you guys that it doesnt hurt if you tell them your name so that they can ask you something because they want to help or investiage what is going on. If the officers asked you for I.D you can awlays ask him,
"Why do you need my I.D for?" The officer probably will nicely explain you why. You can decide what to do...