Should we be required to identify ourselves to police officers?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: MartyMcFly3
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: FallenHero
Yes, stealing it is a crime. But I dont think the police ask for your name to steal your Identity. Tell me, why is this an issue NOW and not 2 years ago? 4 months ago? Yesterday?
What do you mean? This has always been an issue to me. If I am driving a car, I can understand why an officer would need to see my drivers license, but not if I am just walking down the street or otherwise going about my lawful business.

Allow me to be the first to invoke Godwin's Law:

<Nazi voice>Your papers please</Nazi voice>

Why is it a big deal to give them your name? If you aren't doing anything illegal, then you have nothing to hide, so why not tell them your name? You tell a whole bunch of people it whether you realize it or not. Its in the phonebook (unless you are unlisted). They aren't stealing your identity by asking it...

Doesn't matter if you are doing something wrong or not. It is intrusive and shouldn't be allowed. We are innocent UNTIL proven guilty. I don't think someone has to give their name unless probable cause exists. I'd never do that as an officer.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: cheapbidder01
Originally posted by: MacBaine

I see your avatar looks like a cop. Are you a cop or a cop wannabe? If you are a cop, how much education have you had? In general, how much education does one need to become a street cop? You called someone 14 because they made a generalization that I find to be true most of the time even if its not always true.

Ahh yes, the ad hominum attacks. Why try to argue your point when you can just attack the person?

I am majoring in law enforcement, minoring in fire administration. 20 years old, sophmore in college, with a 3.7 gpa. I'm currently in the honors college and I also work two jobs. One in emergency medicine, the other through the police department. As for what level...it used to be high school diploma. However, many departments are going to at least 60 hours of college coursework, some are requiring a 4 year degree.

Now that I have answered your questions, will you continue the arguement we were having, or will you just attack me personally again to avoid the issue?

Thankyou for the answer. Now we can continue arguing. So it only takes 60 hours of college coursework to be a cop. Wouldn't that mean that most cops are not very educated so d*cks and dumb*sses can easily become cops and bully people around with their badges?

If I could change it, I'd increase police pay significantly to interest more people but require cops to at least hold a masters degree. That would eliminate alot of d*cks wouldn't you think?

How would somebody holding a masters degree make a better cop than somebody who has 60 hours of coursework? You know... you don't just go to the police department and say "I want to be a cop" and you are in, this isn't McDonalds. People become cops because they want to serve their community, and they want to help people. They don't say "I want to be a cop so I can boss around people". They go through many weeks of training at an academy, are continuously evaluated, put their life on the line every day, deal with the lowest people in society, and then get little to no respect from people like you. Do you expect a cop to treat you with all the respect you deserve when you treat them with none? You be a dick to them, they'll be a dick to you.

You've got a lot of growing up to do kid.

FYI, I do not argue with police officers. I'm always very courteous to them. Its always been the case that they try to treat me like dirt. I just try to say as little as I can and take the ticket.

Do you think your regular dumb*ss bully can get a master's degree? Even if he could, would he? That would eliminate alot of people who are in the profession for the money and the bullying rights don't you think?

So with your argument, wouldn't you get alot more intelligent "d*cks" as police officers? Officers who could manipulate the law to a greater extent, and in doing so find a way to really fvck you over big time?

Also, police officers do not get paid all that much. Here on Long Island we have the highest paid POs in the nation at a starting salary of $70,000. Compare that to a city cop making around $35-40,000 a year, who has a much MUCH more dangerous and tougher job. I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather do for $40,000 a year. And you will NOT get a job as a cop in Nassau or Suffolk County without knowing someone. The chances of you getting that job is very very slim.

For people who think $70,000 is a lot to support a family of 3 or 4 on Long Island, believe me it isn't. The cost of living and the taxes here are fvcking ridiculous.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Don't you hate dealing with morons who make your job difficult and piss you off when you're at work?

Have you ever wished you could do something about it, like make thier next several hours, days, weeks, etc., as inconvient as possible?

Then all you need to do is become a cop.

(Moral: Don't piss off the police.)

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: BornStar18
Originally posted by: GroundZero
it is illegal to not cary identification on your person in the usa

BS, and you're an idiot.
There are people that are required to carry identification in the US. It's not everyone but I would guess it's a good portion of the population.

Wrong. Post a link if you are cocksure, but you are 100% wrong.
Immigrants are required to have the green cards on them at all times. I'm pretty sure that most people would count a green card as ID although if you don't, I suppose I'm wrong.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Yes, stealing it is a crime. But I dont think the police ask for your name to steal your Identity. Tell me, why is this an issue NOW and not 2 years ago? 4 months ago? Yesterday?
What do you mean? This has always been an issue to me. If I am driving a car, I can understand why an officer would need to see my drivers license, but not if I am just walking down the street or otherwise going about my lawful business.

Why is it a big deal to give them your name? If you aren't doing anything illegal, then you have nothing to hide, so why not tell them your name? You tell a whole bunch of people it whether you realize it or not. Its in the phonebook (unless you are unlisted). They aren't stealing your identity by asking it...

Doesn't matter if you are doing something wrong or not. It is intrusive and shouldn't be allowed. We are innocent UNTIL proven guilty. I don't think someone has to give their name unless probable cause exists. I'd never do that as an officer.

Cops don't walk around all day randomly asking people for their names. It's for a reason when they do. Most of the time it's for their safety. They're not going to walk up to you on the street and check your name for no reason.

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com

Why are we forced to tell them our names? Maybe they're being a jerk at the time and we just don't feel like talking to them anymore. If a cop was being nice about it, maybe they wouldn't have to twist an arm to get it out of us.

Now you are talking on a case-to-case basis. First of all, you aren't forced to tell them your name. You aren't being detained, nor do you have a gun at your head. You are free to leave. Im saying in general, its not that big of a deal. It's your name. If you are walking along the sidewalk and a cop asks you for your name, and you have nothing to hide, might as well tell them. They are letting the community know that they are there, and trying to get citizens to realize that cops are there to help them out. Im sure that they say "Im Officer LastName..." when they talk to you, and not "Hey chickenfvcker (for you Super Trooper fans) whats your name?" Its called reaching out to the community. Or is America to fvcked up since 9/11 that we cant trust anyone anymore without them having ulterior motives. Now, it might not be 9/11 that caused it, but i sure the hell notice people are getting more and more unfriendly since it happened. Dont get me wrong i love living here, itd just be nice if everyone would lighten the hell up nowadays.

Edit: Same goes for if a cop asks for your ID. If you give it to him, he'll most likely check it and hand it back to you. If you refuse to show it, you might as well say you have something to hide, because thats what he will think. Wouldnt you, if you were in his situation?

I know it shouldn't be like that, and it shows that no one trusts anybody with anything anymore, which i think is unfortunate. But, i dont see why people are making such a big issue out of this.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Cops don't walk around all day randomly asking people for their names. It's for a reason when they do. Most of the time it's for their safety. They're not going to walk up to you on the street and check your name for no reason.

I'm very well aware of that, however, many times people are asked for identification without a legal reason. If you don't believe that then there is nothing I can do. We covered the aspect of identification in JS 220, and our teacher(ex Bham Cop) told us that unless ID is specifically needed for your case or investigation DO NOT ask for it because then many people are unwilling to help. Some have things to hide, some don't want retaliation, and some just don't like showing it. Now of course you need their address and name if they are going to be called as a witness, but she was mainly talking about in the course of an investigation when witnesses won't be needed for a trial or the like.

Asking for ID is something that is used as a power tactic. That has been taught to police offcers all over the world to ask people for their ID to help control a situation. MOST of the time there is NOT a legal basis.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I agree that our identity and information is considered property. Intellectual if anything. If they can ask you for your name now, what will stop a male officer from asking if a female "suspect" is dating anyone?

It's great that FallenHero is such a big fan of giving information away. I am by no means anti-government but I see a very dangerous path we are heading toward here. With the Patriot Act and the acts that followed, soon phone taps, email logs, etc will be even more prevalent and generally accepted. Why hasn't this been a problem 4 months ago? 2 years ago? It has, you just weren't around to see the arguments. Privacy has and always will be an issue. But it'll only get worse because of people that basically volunteer everything they have at the first flash of a siren.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001

I see your avatar looks like a cop. Are you a cop or a cop wannabe? If you are a cop, how much education have you had? In general, how much education does one need to become a street cop? You called someone 14 because they made a generalization that I find to be true most of the time even if its not always true.

Ahh yes, the ad hominum attacks. Why try to argue your point when you can just attack the person?

I am majoring in law enforcement, minoring in fire administration. 20 years old, sophmore in college, with a 3.7 gpa. I'm currently in the honors college and I also work two jobs. One in emergency medicine, the other through the police department. As for what level...it used to be high school diploma. However, many departments are going to at least 60 hours of college coursework, some are requiring a 4 year degree.

Now that I have answered your questions, will you continue the arguement we were having, or will you just attack me personally again to avoid the issue?

Thankyou for the answer. Now we can continue arguing. So it only takes 60 hours of college coursework to be a cop. Wouldn't that mean that most cops are not very educated so d*cks and dumb*sses can easily become cops and bully people around with their badges?

If I could change it, I'd increase police pay significantly to interest more people but require cops to at least hold a masters degree. That would eliminate alot of d*cks wouldn't you think?

How would somebody holding a masters degree make a better cop than somebody who has 60 hours of coursework? You know... you don't just go to the police department and say "I want to be a cop" and you are in, this isn't McDonalds. People become cops because they want to serve their community, and they want to help people. They don't say "I want to be a cop so I can boss around people". They go through many weeks of training at an academy, are continuously evaluated, put their life on the line every day, deal with the lowest people in society, and then get little to no respect from people like you. Do you expect a cop to treat you with all the respect you deserve when you treat them with none? You be a dick to them, they'll be a dick to you.

FYI, I do not argue with police officers. I'm always very courteous to them. Its always been the case that they try to treat me like dirt. I just try to say as little as I can and take the ticket.

Do you think your regular dumb*ss bully can get a master's degree? Even if he could, would he? That would eliminate alot of people who are in the profession for the money and the bullying rights don't you think?

While I'm sure your first statement is completely distorted, I won't argue with that.

Back to the education statement... Are you going to pay a cop $100,000+ per year? Do you think with that kind of salary, and that kind of education, they won't have to deal with the scum of society on a daily basis anymore? Do you think they won't give out tickets anymore? Do you think they won't question you to find out if you were drinking when they pulled you over? Do you think they won't be a dick to you when you're being a dick to them? Do you think they won't be put under the same pressure and stress?

Do you think they won't ask your name?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

BS, and you're an idiot.
There are people that are required to carry identification in the US. It's not everyone but I would guess it's a good portion of the population.

Immigrants are required to have the green cards on them at all times. I'm pretty sure that most people would count a green card as ID although if you don't, I suppose I'm wrong.

A good portion of the population are documented immigrants? Hardly... Secondly, I've never heard that about Greencards. Link?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

While I'm sure your first statement is completely distorted, I won't argue with that.

Back to the education statement... Are you going to pay a cop $100,000+ per year? Do you think with that kind of salary, and that kind of education, they won't have to deal with the scum of society on a daily basis anymore? Do you think they won't give out tickets anymore? Do you think they won't question you to find out if you were drinking when they pulled you over? Do you think they won't be a dick to you when you're being a dick to them? Do you think they won't be put under the same pressure and stress?

There is the sociological basis that a higher paid position will command more prestige, attract smarter and more level-headed workers, and provide a better experience for both parties. Typically... lower paid position attact lower quality workers. Public service has gotten away from that since they require formal education and training, however, the lack of pay seriously limits their candidates.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: sygyzy
I agree that our identity and information is considered property. Intellectual if anything. If they can ask you for your name now, what will stop a male officer from asking if a female "suspect" is dating anyone?

It's great that FallenHero is such a big fan of giving information away. I am by no means anti-government but I see a very dangerous path we are heading toward here. With the Patriot Act and the acts that followed, soon phone taps, email logs, etc will be even more prevalent and generally accepted. Why hasn't this been a problem 4 months ago? 2 years ago? It has, you just weren't around to see the arguments. Privacy has and always will be an issue. But it'll only get worse because of people that basically volunteer everything they have at the first flash of a siren.

Here we go with the Patriot Act argument... this thread's about over.

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
I agree with the law here. Law enforcement should be allowed to ID someone when they wish. After all...if they suspect someone for something, no matter what the reason, they should be able to verify his/her identity. There are thousands of people in the country wanted for something or other by law enforcement, and IDing someone is critical in taking them off the street.

Example: Some guy is arguing with someone else on the street. Cops come, check the individuals ID, and find out that he has a warrant for his arrest (or is wanted for any number of things, including national security threats). If the cop didn't have the right to ID him, he would have simply left and been able to continue the illegal behavior.

Theres many reasons why law enforcement should have this right, and I can't think of any reason why it should be taken away. With all law enforcement (police, FBI, etc) do to protect our way of life, offering up an ID is hardly a sacrifice. There has to be limits of course, but checking ID is well below the threshold.

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001

BS, and you're an idiot.

A good portion of the population are documented immigrants? Hardly... Secondly, I've never heard that about Greencards. Link?
I would guess that there are a lot more documented immigrants than you might first think. I happen to live in two fairly high immigration areas; one with a worldwide corporation (Dow Chemical) and another with a huge university (Purdue). I can't turn around without running into an immigrant in either place. My girlfriend is actually Canadian.

This is the best link I can find at this point. I'll ask my g/f for more information. It's the second to last bullet.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001

There is the sociological basis that a higher paid position will command more prestige, attract smarter and more level-headed workers, and provide a better experience for both parties. Typically... lower paid position attact lower quality workers. Public service has gotten away from that since they require formal education and training, however, the lack of pay seriously limits their candidates.

That's still not going to change anything I said... I'm sure there are cops with masters degrees, and I'm sure that there are cops with no degrees. They still face the same working conditions. If somebody with a masters degree getting paid $100,000 was working in a garbage dump along side somebody with no degree getting paid $30,000... they're still both going to smell like garbage at the end of the day.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SilentZero
I agree with the law here. Law enforcement should be allowed to ID someone when they wish. After all...if they suspect someone for something, no matter what the reason, they should be able to verify his/her identity. There are thousands of people in the country wanted for something or other by law enforcement, and IDing someone is critical in taking them off the street.

Example: Some guy is arguing with someone else on the street. Cops come, check the individuals ID, and find out that he has a warrant for his arrest (or is wanted for any number of things, including national security threats). If the cop didn't have the right to ID him, he would have simply left and been able to continue the illegal behavior.

Theres many reasons why law enforcement should have this right, and I can't think of any reason why it should be taken away. With all law enforcement (police, FBI, etc) do to protect our way of life, offering up an ID is hardly a sacrifice. There has to be limits of course, but checking ID is well below the threshold.

So why don't we just require you to swipe an ID card anytime you enter a public or private building? It isn't like criminal don't have fake ids, use fake SSNs or names. My friends mom is a total fvcking criminal and she has been arrested about 30 times. Everytime she gives a fake name, and 1/2 the time she got out the next day because they can't hold you unless they have proof your ID is false. Most of the time unless she had been arrested at that department it would take weeks to get the fingerprints back. There goes your theory.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000

Law enforcement should NOT have this right. I am a law-abiding citizen, I should not be obligated to present my papers upon request unless there is probable cause of some crime.

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Originally posted by: Yossarian

Law enforcement should NOT have this right. I am a law-abiding citizen, I should not be obligated to present my papers upon request unless there is probable cause of some crime.

Why the hell is it such a big deal? Christ you people make it sound like youre going to get the chair if you show cops your ID...

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred

No it's not you god damned idiot, stop making up bullshit lies.

It's not bullshit.

You DO NOT have to carry ID unless your doing something that REQUIRES it (drinking, driving, etc.)

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Why the hell is it such a big deal? Christ you people make it sound like youre going to get the chair if you show cops your ID...

Have you ever been hassled, bothered, arrested, or detained when you weren't doing anything wrong?

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003

I can think of one good reason: ABUSE! Check out the very beginning of this thread.

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com

Have you ever been hassled, bothered, arrested, or detained when you weren't doing anything wrong?

Never been arrested. As for hassled/bothered.... yes I can think of a few occasions. One example was where I had just gotten my license a week before, so I wanted to rent a video and a cop was in the parking lot. He asked to take a look at my ID. I gave it to him since I had nothing to hide. After he saw that I was indeed of legal driving age, we had a conversation about what movie i was going to rent and just shot the sh!t. It didnt bother me at all. I didnt think "fvck those cops" afterwards. Cops arent always the bad guys. All my experiences with policemen (been pulled over twice, received only verbal warnings) have been positive, and if that hasnt been the case with you, dont let one bad apple spoil the bunch. Not all cops are powertripping assholes.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

In my opnion if you wouldn't want any normal citizen asking for your ID then cops shouldn't be able to ask for ID when ever they want.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001

I can think of one good reason: ABUSE! Check out the very beginning of this thread.

Any power can be abused. That's like saying we should take away their right to make traffic stops because that right can be abused.