Should we be required to identify ourselves to police officers?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Originally posted by: Spencer278
Originally posted by: FallenHero
Originally posted by: Graphicd00d
Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

You people need to read the U.S. Constitution.

You need to comprehend it. Nothing is being siezed, no one is being arrested. Its asking for a name. No one is being frisked...its a name.

You should have to get a warrent to ask for my ID it is paper and it is mine.

You dont know your name? Its written on a piece of paper?

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: cheapbidder01
Yes. If the supreme court decides that asking for a name is unconstitutional, the next argument to be made will also make the cops look bad "Why didnt the police catch that murderer that they pulled over?" Well dumbasses, its because he couldnt ask for a name.

Yeah, right, good argument. I can see it now:

"Well officer, my name is Osama Bin Laden"

What criminal will give their real name? Geez.

Fake names dont go through the system. You can at least find out the real ID once they are in the station, at least with current FBI and fingerprinting tech. If they lie, its obstruction of justice and thats gonna get you hauled down to the station pretty damn fast to find out why you lied.

I can bet you that John Smith is in the system.

Can you provide a valid SS# that matches that name and your discription?

Or hell, not even a SS#. A DOB to narrow it down. All must match up.

I know several young people who don't have their SSNs memorized, guess they'll all have to be arrested.

While we're add it, I guess you'd have to know your mother's maiden name and your family pet's name and the officer's mother's name too right.

You did read the DOB bit, right? Date of birth...do you have that memorized? Thats all they will really need. Do you comprehend, or do you want to try to make a bigger ass out of yourself?

I see your avatar looks like a cop. Are you a cop or a cop wannabe? If you are a cop, how much education have you had? In general, how much education does one need to become a street cop? You called someone 14 because they made a generalization that I find to be true most of the time even if its not always true.

You're not going to stop making yourself look like an idiot anytime soon it seems... so I'll speed along the process.

You managed to completely avoid the question, which I am assuming is because you figured out you are wrong.

If you are a cop, how much education have you had? In general, how much education does one need to become a street cop?

Most departments require a college degree of some sort, be it 2 year or (most often) a 4 year degree.

You called someone 14 because they made a generalization that I find to be true most of the time even if its not always true

You find it to be true? How many cops do you know personally... I mean know their life story? Hmm? Yeah, I didn't think so. It's a gross generalization based on nothing but childish ignorance. The poster of that comment definately made it seem that he was very young and ignorant, as you are beginning to do.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: MacBaine
Yes. If the supreme court decides that asking for a name is unconstitutional, the next argument to be made will also make the cops look bad "Why didnt the police catch that murderer that they pulled over?" Well dumbasses, its because he couldnt ask for a name.

Yeah, right, good argument. I can see it now:

"Well officer, my name is Osama Bin Laden"

What criminal will give their real name? Geez.

Fake names dont go through the system. You can at least find out the real ID once they are in the station, at least with current FBI and fingerprinting tech. If they lie, its obstruction of justice and thats gonna get you hauled down to the station pretty damn fast to find out why you lied.

I can bet you that John Smith is in the system.

Can you provide a valid SS# that matches that name and your discription?

Or hell, not even a SS#. A DOB to narrow it down. All must match up.

I know several young people who don't have their SSNs memorized, guess they'll all have to be arrested.

While we're add it, I guess you'd have to know your mother's maiden name and your family pet's name and the officer's mother's name too right.

You did read the DOB bit, right? Date of birth...do you have that memorized? Thats all they will really need. Do you comprehend, or do you want to try to make a bigger ass out of yourself?

I see your avatar looks like a cop. Are you a cop or a cop wannabe? If you are a cop, how much education have you had? In general, how much education does one need to become a street cop? You called someone 14 because they made a generalization that I find to be true most of the time even if its not always true.

You're not going to stop making yourself look like an idiot anytime soon it seems... so I'll speed along the process.

You managed to completely avoid the question, which I am assuming is because you figured out you are wrong.

If you are a cop, how much education have you had? In general, how much education does one need to become a street cop?

Most departments require a college degree of some sort, be it 2 year or (most often) a 4 year degree.

You called someone 14 because they made a generalization that I find to be true most of the time even if its not always true

You find it to be true? How many cops do you know personally... I mean know their life story? Hmm? Yeah, I didn't think so. It's a gross generalization based on nothing but childish ignorance. The poster of that comment definately made it seem that he was very young and ignorant, as you are beginning to do.

Heh, a buddy of mine's a DC PO, newly graduated from the academy. I cannot vouch for other areas, but I know DC has some of the lowest requirements (if you're not in debt and not crazy they'll take you). Then, it's simply a matter of time before you can try and transfer to another PD.

Graphicd00d

Aug 10, 2001
Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

You need to comprehend it. Nothing is being siezed, no one is being arrested. Its asking for a name. No one is being frisked...its a name.

Hmmm, let me help you here since apparently you haven't read the Constitution.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause

That means they as in law enforcement have no right to ask for identification unless the have probable cause you have committed a serious crime.

Oh by the way, the cops also violated his 5th ammendment right as well.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

My reading comprehension is fine. I have studied the U.S. Constitution for years now because it is my duty as an American to understand and live by the constitution and understand the sacrifice my forefathers went through.

Have you read the Constitution? I'm thinking no.

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
You do know that since 1968, most states operate with Terry laws which require one to identify him/herself when asked by a police officer? In 1968, the Supreme Court fashioned a narrow legal compromise for police to use in that space between reasonable suspicion and probable cause. In the case of Terry v. Ohio, the court ruled that police can temporarily detain someone on less than probable cause, and even conduct a quick patdown to look for weapons, under suspicious circumstances.

In legal circles, the situations are called "Terry stops." Police cannot conduct them randomly but can use the leeway they provide when there are clues that do not yet add up to a crime.

Of course, the U.S. Supreme Court heard a case yesterday, Hiibel vs. Nevada, that revolves around Nevada's Terry law. Should be interesting to see what the results of this will be. This is what happened:

On a late May evening almost four years ago in 2000, Dudley and his then-17-year-old daughter Mimi were driving back to the family ranch, a modest 300-acre outfit with no telephone service or running water.

Mimi was driving, and father and daughter were arguing. Mimi had taken up with a local boy, and Dudley was not pleased.

Mimi threw an ineffective punch, Dudley got mad and then "she got sorta sore and pulled off the road and I figured I oughta get out of the car," the 59-year-old rancher recalls.

Dudley was standing by the truck on the shoulder of Grass Valley Road, a narrow two-lane leading out of town, smoking a cigarette and letting things calm down when a Humboldt County deputy sheriff, tipped that something might be wrong, pulled up to see what was going on.

Sheriff's Deputy Lee Dove arrived and immediately asked Hiibel for his name. Hiibel refused to say, asked why the deputy wanted to know and festally protested that he was doing nothing wrong.

Eleven times Dove asked for either a name or written identification, and 11 times Hiibel refused. "I don't want to talk. I've done nothing. I've broken no laws," Hiibel said, according to a transcript of the video from Dove's squad car. "Take me to jail; I don't care."

Dove did just that.

Dove would later report that he believed Hiibel was drunk at the time, although Hiibel says he hadn't been drinking.

Hiibel was initially charged with domestic battery _ based on the phone tip to the sheriff's office _ but that charge was dismissed because the caller wasn't available to testify and there was no other evidence to pursue the charge, said Conrad Hafen, the former Humboldt County assistant district attorney who prosecuted Hiibel.

Only one charge was pressed against Hiibel, a misdemeanor for violating a Nevada law that says that during Terry stop situations, "any person so detained shall identify himself, but may not be compelled to answer any other inquiry."

The law does not specify if "identify" means stating one's name or producing proof such as a driver's license.

Simply put, Hiibel was a criminal because he kept quiet in a situation that yielded no proof that he had committed any other crime.

Like Nevada, most states have some sort of statute that allows a police officer to demand some form of identification during a Terry stop.

At issue in the case, which will be heard by the U. S. Supreme Court on March 22, 2004, is whether individuals stopped during an investigation of a possible crime must identify themselves to the police.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003

Ahh yes, the ad hominum attacks. Why try to argue your point when you can just attack the person?

I am majoring in law enforcement, minoring in fire administration. 20 years old, sophmore in college, with a 3.7 gpa. I'm currently in the honors college and I also work two jobs. One in emergency medicine, the other through the police department. As for what level...it used to be high school diploma. However, many departments are going to at least 60 hours of college coursework, some are requiring a 4 year degree.

Now that I have answered your questions, will you continue the arguement we were having, or will you just attack me personally again to avoid the issue?

Thankyou for the answer. Now we can continue arguing. So it only takes 60 hours of college coursework to be a cop. Wouldn't that mean that most cops are not very educated so d*cks and dumb*sses can easily become cops and bully people around with their badges?

If I could change it, I'd increase police pay significantly to interest more people but require cops to at least hold a masters degree. That would eliminate alot of d*cks wouldn't you think?

Originally posted by: AvesPKS
Heh, a buddy of mine's a DC PO, newly graduated from the academy. I cannot vouch for other areas, but I know DC has some of the lowest requirements (if you're not in debt and not crazy they'll take you). Then, it's simply a matter of time before you can try and transfer to another PD.

There are some areas which are dying for officers. Others have too many applications. It all depends on area. But for the most part, they require at least 60 hours for beginners. Prior expierence helps when transferring, and can (and most of the time does) take place of the college requirement. So I can see your DC thing being true. There was a city in the south that did the same thing for awhile as well...basically lowered requirements so they could have enough officers. Its sad, but it does happen.

Ahh yes, the ad hominum attacks. Why try to argue your point when you can just attack the person?

I am majoring in law enforcement, minoring in fire administration. 20 years old, sophmore in college, with a 3.7 gpa. I'm currently in the honors college and I also work two jobs. One in emergency medicine, the other through the police department. As for what level...it used to be high school diploma. However, many departments are going to at least 60 hours of college coursework, some are requiring a 4 year degree.

Now that I have answered your questions, will you continue the arguement we were having, or will you just attack me personally again to avoid the issue?

Thankyou for the answer. Now we can continue arguing. So it only takes 60 hours of college coursework to be a cop. Wouldn't that mean that most cops are not very educated so d*cks and dumb*sses can easily become cops and bully people around with their badges?

If I could change it, I'd increase police pay significantly to interest more people but require cops to at least hold a masters degree. That would eliminate alot of d*cks wouldn't you think?

thats not continuing the argument at all. Thats shifting from personal attacks to attacks upon the police. Will you just admit that you were wrong already?

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause

That means they as in law enforcement have no right to ask for identification unless the have probable cause you have committed a serious crime.

You like manipulating things to fit your argument, don't you? Where does it say "Probably cause that you have committed a serious crime"? I thought it just said "Probably Cause"... I may have bad reading comprehension though... I didn't study the constitution for years like you apparently have.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

BRAVO... another completely inapplicable amendment. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything stated in this thread. Try again buddy.

My reading comprehension is fine. I have studied the U.S. Constitution for years now because it is my duty as an American to understand and live by the constitution and understand the sacrifice my forefathers went through.

Do you understand the Constitution? I'm thinking no.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't think identity should be required without probable cause. It isn't because I think the police should be frustrated or that someone did something wrong, but because it is all about the control the government has over you. If an officer has probable cause he can ask you for ID. Randomly asking you for ID is BS in my opinion. However, it is fairly easy for an officer to get probable cause. I think this case sucks either way. Due to the phone tip and the scene the officer had probable cause to ask for the ID. However, he should have asked the girl if she was in trouble and ask the guy if everything was ok. If they said yeah then he should have left. There is a difference in being cautious and investigating, and getting mad when someone won't show you ID. I think ID falls completely Amendment IV. Your ID is your person and shouldn't be subject to a search without a warrant, probable cause, or a public emergency. If this decision comes down favoring the Nevada man, then the USSC better make damn sure they explain their findings to the public and public safety. Otherwise you will have people refusing to identity themselves for anything, and the police arresting people for refusing to ID themselves.

Amendment IV

Amendment V

The fifth amendment has no room in the argument. How in the blue hell was that violated? He wasnt a witness against himself, no private property was taken for public use...how?

As for the 4th amendment, nothing of his was taken. They are simply asking for a name. No property is being taken or siezed. If you even want to try to argue that, then cars cannot be seached at all because no warrent was issued (BTW, the supreme court has ruled that cars can be searched upon arrest, and persons can be frisked to protect the police)

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003

You're right. I only know two cops personally. One was a bully in high school who became a cop. The other was a girl I knew who got her BS in criminal justice and became a correctional officer.

As for the other cops I know, here's a summary (and you tell me, which one was the nice one):

1. The cop who arrested my brother for not having a DL (story at the beginning).
2. The cop who stopped my brother and I for a traffic violation, then pointed his flashlight to some broken beer bottles and said:
"Why did you throw these here?". We were not even drinking nor had any bottles in our car.
3. The CHP officer who stopped me and cited me for "Driver not wearing seat belt properly". BS.
4. The Fish and Game officer who cited me for fishing in an area that was closed to fishing or the officer whom I previously called at the Fish and Game office, who stated that it was alright for me to fish there because I was not fishing for a particular species as noted in the confusing fishing handbook. ( I could've fought this in court, but that would mean taking a day off work since the court was in a town 70 miles away from my home and the fine was only $150. I had to make the tough decision to just pay the fine since that would be less costly than a day's work.)

Those were just my encounters, how about the cops who beat up "Rodney King" or the cops in San Francisco who beat up a couple of guys who refused to give their dinner up to them, or the cops who covered that up?

Granted, cops do good things, but like I said, so many of them use their badge to bully others.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001

How would somebody holding a masters degree make a better cop than somebody who has 60 hours of coursework? You know... you don't just go to the police department and say "I want to be a cop" and you are in, this isn't McDonalds. People become cops because they want to serve their community, and they want to help people. They don't say "I want to be a cop so I can boss around people". They go through many weeks of training at an academy, are continuously evaluated, put their life on the line every day, deal with the lowest people in society, and then get little to no respect from people like you. Do you expect a cop to treat you with all the respect you deserve when you treat them with none? You be a dick to them, they'll be a dick to you.

You've got a lot of growing up to do kid.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
No. My identity is my person.
Explain how.
How about you tell me how it is not?

Otherwise, my identity is my own possession. It is who I am. Stealing it would a crime, would it not?

No. My identity is my person.
Explain how.
How about you tell me how it is not?

Otherwise, my identity is my own possession. It is who I am. Stealing it would a crime, would it not?

Yes, stealing it is a crime. But I dont think the police ask for your name to steal your Identity. Tell me, why is this an issue NOW and not 2 years ago? 4 months ago? Yesterday?

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: GroundZero
it is illegal to not cary identification on your person in the usa

BS, and you're an idiot.
There are people that are required to carry identification in the US. It's not everyone but I would guess it's a good portion of the population.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
One other thing I was just thinking about...is it possible that failing to indentify oneself could be seen as suspicious by the police and be used as probable cause for detainment. Does this make any sense (or no sense at all) to anyone else?

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com

thats not continuing the argument at all. Thats shifting from personal attacks to attacks upon the police. Will you just admit that you were wrong already?

cheapbidder.... your threads are hilarious. Not because of your attempt to rip on police officers and those who study to become police officers, but because of how dumb they make you sound. How the fvck does 60 hours of COLLEGE coursework = dicks and dumbasses? Believe it or not, not every cop is crooked... They ask for your name so they know what they are dealing with. When you get pulled over and asked for license and registration, what exactly do you think they are doing with it? Could it be checking your background? Noooooooo, dumbasses wouldnt come up with something THAT smart to do. You must think that they are checking to see how tall you are, or what color your eyes are, or just sit their drooling over the fvcking thing. God damn kid, I hope some emergency happens to you that you need a policeman to help you, because then you might learn of the importance of their job instead of being an ignorant fvck.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003

How would somebody holding a masters degree make a better cop than somebody who has 60 hours of coursework? You know... you don't just go to the police department and say "I want to be a cop" and you are in, this isn't McDonalds. People become cops because they want to serve their community, and they want to help people. They don't say "I want to be a cop so I can boss around people". They go through many weeks of training at an academy, are continuously evaluated, put their life on the line every day, deal with the lowest people in society, and then get little to no respect from people like you. Do you expect a cop to treat you with all the respect you deserve when you treat them with none? You be a dick to them, they'll be a dick to you.

You've got a lot of growing up to do kid.

FYI, I do not argue with police officers. I'm always very courteous to them. Its always been the case that they try to treat me like dirt. I just try to say as little as I can and take the ticket.

Do you think your regular dumb*ss bully can get a master's degree? Even if he could, would he? That would eliminate alot of people who are in the profession for the money and the bullying rights don't you think?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yes, stealing it is a crime. But I dont think the police ask for your name to steal your Identity. Tell me, why is this an issue NOW and not 2 years ago? 4 months ago? Yesterday?
What do you mean? This has always been an issue to me. If I am driving a car, I can understand why an officer would need to see my drivers license, but not if I am just walking down the street or otherwise going about my lawful business.

Allow me to be the first to invoke Godwin's Law:

<Nazi voice>Your papers please</Nazi voice>

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
What do you mean? This has always been an issue to me. If I am driving a car, I can understand why an officer would need to see my drivers license, but not if I am just walking down the street or otherwise going about my lawful business.

Why is it a big deal to give them your name? If you aren't doing anything illegal, then you have nothing to hide, so why not tell them your name? You tell a whole bunch of people it whether you realize it or not. Its in the phonebook (unless you are unlisted). They aren't stealing your identity by asking it...

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: MartyMcFly3

Why is it a big deal to give them your name? If you aren't doing anything illegal, then you have nothing to hide, so why not tell them your name? You tell a whole bunch of people it whether you realize it or not. Its in the phonebook (unless you are unlisted). They aren't stealing your identity by asking it...

Why are we forced to tell them our names? Maybe they're being a jerk at the time and we just don't feel like talking to them anymore. If a cop was being nice about it, maybe they wouldn't have to twist an arm to get it out of us.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BornStar18
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: GroundZero
it is illegal to not cary identification on your person in the usa

BS, and you're an idiot.
There are people that are required to carry identification in the US. It's not everyone but I would guess it's a good portion of the population.

Wrong. Post a link if you are cocksure, but you are 100% wrong.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001

You're right. I only know two cops personally. One was a bully in high school who became a cop. The other was a girl I knew who got her BS in criminal justice and became a correctional officer.

As for the other cops I know, here's a summary (and you tell me, which one was the nice one):

1. The cop who arrested my brother for not having a DL (story at the beginning).
2. The cop who stopped my brother and I for a traffic violation, then pointed his flashlight to some broken beer bottles and said:
"Why did you throw these here?". We were not even drinking nor had any bottles in our car.
3. The CHP officer who stopped me and cited me for "Driver not wearing seat belt properly". BS.
4. The Fish and Game officer who cited me for fishing in an area that was closed to fishing or the officer whom I previously called at the Fish and Game office, who stated that it was alright for me to fish there because I was not fishing for a particular species as noted in the confusing fishing handbook. ( I could've fought this in court, but that would mean taking a day off work since the court was in a town 70 miles away from my home and the fine was only $150. I had to make the tough decision to just pay the fine since that would be less costly than a day's work.)

Those were just my encounters, how about the cops who beat up "Rodney King" or the cops in San Francisco who beat up a couple of guys who refused to give their dinner up to them, or the cops who covered that up?

Granted, cops do good things, but like I said, so many of them use their badge to bully others.
You knew a guy in high school who was a bully, but now he's a cop. I thought you said that cops were the ones that were bullied in school, and became cops to bully back?

In all those cases, the cops are doing their job. Of course, you got in trouble, so they are uneducated a$$holes only out to bully people.

Yes, there are a few bad cops out there. But even with the amounts of stress put on them on a daily basis, them constantly being under the microscope, with the public eye watching their every mistake, the amount of bad incidents like you've descibed above makes it seem more like there is a disproportionately low number of corrupt, uneducated bully a$$holes as cops.