Should we be required to identify ourselves to police officers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Originally posted by: GroundZero
it is illegal to not cary identification on your person in Nazi Germany.

Fixed that for you.

You should have to tell a cop your name if you're asked. You shouldn't have to show ID just because a cop feels like asking for it.

We're being conditioned to expect to have to show ID wherever we go. One step at a time.

Originally posted by: lirion
Originally posted by: GroundZero
it is illegal to not cary identification on your person in Nazi Germany.

Fixed that for you.

You should have to tell a cop your name if you're asked. You shouldn't have to show ID just because a cop feels like asking for it.

We're being conditioned to expect to have to show ID wherever we go. One step at a time.

This I can agree with.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: FallenHero
Originally posted by: cheapbidder01
Yes. If the supreme court decides that asking for a name is unconstitutional, the next argument to be made will also make the cops look bad "Why didnt the police catch that murderer that they pulled over?" Well dumbasses, its because he couldnt ask for a name.

Yeah, right, good argument. I can see it now:

"Well officer, my name is Osama Bin Laden"

What criminal will give their real name? Geez.

Fake names dont go through the system. You can at least find out the real ID once they are in the station, at least with current FBI and fingerprinting tech. If they lie, its obstruction of justice and thats gonna get you hauled down to the station pretty damn fast to find out why you lied.

I can bet you that John Smith is in the system.

Can you provide a valid SS# that matches that name and your discription?

Or hell, not even a SS#. A DOB to narrow it down. All must match up.

I know several young people who don't have their SSNs memorized, guess they'll all have to be arrested.

While we're add it, I guess you'd have to know your mother's maiden name and your family pet's name and the officer's mother's name too right.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Let's all just live in anarchy. Nobody give their name to anybody. Nobody be polite or courteous. Down with the fuzz, Fsck the Police, FIGHT THE POWER!!!!

MadPeriot

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2003
Those cops are just being d*cks. Most cops are d*cks anyway. Most people who become police officers is because they were bullied most of their lives and weren't involved in any outside activities because of lack of friends, not fitting in to the crowd they wished they could, or just didn't do much with their lives. So now they got that badge and uniform on, they tend to have a need for power trip to make up for their lousy childhood.

Not saying what your brother did was right, but arresting him with an adult presence is ridiculous. They did not have to go that route, but again cops are d*cks.

Sspidie99

Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: nick1985
yes, you should.

it may come as a shocker to many of you...but the police are there to help and protect you :Q

I agree most cops are there to help and protect. But I do know that like any other professions, there are others that don't follow the rules. I believe in commony courtesy. However, I do know of many incidents in which the officer in questions had his own motives. In general I do as I'm told, but I do not see why a police officer would hall someone to jail for not having any id on them. Abuse of power if you ask me. Situation didn't call for that type of action.

Yes. If the supreme court decides that asking for a name is unconstitutional, the next argument to be made will also make the cops look bad "Why didnt the police catch that murderer that they pulled over?" Well dumbasses, its because he couldnt ask for a name.

Fake names dont go through the system. You can at least find out the real ID once they are in the station, at least with current FBI and fingerprinting tech. If they lie, its obstruction of justice and thats gonna get you hauled down to the station pretty damn fast to find out why you lied.

I know several young people who don't have their SSNs memorized, guess they'll all have to be arrested.

While we're add it, I guess you'd have to know your mother's maiden name and your family pet's name and the officer's mother's name too right.

You did read the DOB bit, right? Date of birth...do you have that memorized? Thats all they will really need. Do you comprehend, or do you want to try to make a bigger ass out of yourself?

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: nick1985
yes, you should.

it may come as a shocker to many of you...but the police are there to help and protect you :Q

I wish someone would tell them that.

Originally posted by: MadPeriot
Those cops are just being d*cks. Most cops are d*cks anyway. Most people who become police officers is because they were bullied most of their lives and weren't involved in any outside activities because of lack of friends, not fitting in to the crowd they wished they could, or just didn't do much with their lives. So now they got that badge and uniform on, they tend to have a need for power trip to make up for their lousy childhood.

Not saying what your brother did was right, but arresting him with an adult presence is ridiculous. They did not have to go that route, but again cops are d*cks.

What are you, 14? Nice generalizations there.

Graphicd00d

Aug 10, 2001
Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

You people need to read the U.S. Constitution.

Originally posted by: Graphicd00d
Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

You need to comprehend it. Nothing is being siezed, no one is being arrested. Its asking for a name. No one is being frisked...its a name.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001

You really are stupid aren't you?

No..nevermind... no sense in arguing with a 12 year old idiot.

Originally posted by: MacBaine

You really are stupid aren't you?

No..nevermind... no sense in arguing with a 12 year old idiot.

I find their points of view mildly humorous at best. It was great to be ignorant.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Amendment IV

And this applies.......how?

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003

You did read the DOB bit, right? Date of birth...do you have that memorized? Thats all they will really need. Do you comprehend, or do you want to try to make a bigger ass out of yourself?

I see your avatar looks like a cop. Are you a cop or a cop wannabe? If you are a cop, how much education have you had? In general, how much education does one need to become a street cop? You called someone 14 because they made a generalization that I find to be true most of the time even if its not always true.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Cooperating with cops = more security, especially in these times.

But remember, if we cooperate with cops, we're only bringing on a police state. FIGHT THE MAN!

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Amendment IV

That doesn't have anything to do with this discussion. I can quote Amendments that don't apply too, but that doesn't make my side of the discussion any stronger, it just means I'm good and quoting Amendments.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Amendment IV

You need to comprehend it. Nothing is being siezed, no one is being arrested. Its asking for a name. No one is being frisked...its a name.

You should have to get a warrent to ask for my ID it is paper and it is mine.

I see your avatar looks like a cop. Are you a cop or a cop wannabe? If you are a cop, how much education have you had? In general, how much education does one need to become a street cop? You called someone 14 because they made a generalization that I find to be true most of the time even if its not always true.

Ahh yes, the ad hominum attacks. Why try to argue your point when you can just attack the person?

I am majoring in law enforcement, minoring in fire administration. 20 years old, sophmore in college, with a 3.7 gpa. I'm currently in the honors college and I also work two jobs. One in emergency medicine, the other through the police department. As for what level...it used to be high school diploma. However, many departments are going to at least 60 hours of college coursework, some are requiring a 4 year degree.

Now that I have answered your questions, will you continue the arguement we were having, or will you just attack me personally again to avoid the issue?