Should water be drank cold or lukewarm?

rayray2

Sep 12, 2002
Don't you burn more calories drinking cold water because your body has to work to heat the water to your body temperature or something.....? :confused:

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
I think it's supposed to be better drinking lukewarm. I believe you're right about the burning calories thing.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
I ain't even much going to concern myself with how many calories I burn drinking water, y'alls.

Cold feels and tastes better, so cold it is.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Who drinks warm water?
This indian guy at work has juice bottles he keeps in the CUBOARD instead of the fridge. Damn guy likes to drink room temperature drinks.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
This indian guy at work has juice bottles he keeps in the CUBOARD instead of the fridge. Damn guy likes to drink room temperature drinks.

You sure he's not trying to hide them from you heathens? ;)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: LordJezo
It is such a small difference that you will never ever see the effect of doing so.

At least do the math.

Assuming cold = 0°C
Room temperature = 20°
Body temperature = 37°C

It would take 20 calories per oz more to raise cold drinks to body temperature than room temperature drinks.

If you're drinking 64 oz of water per day that's roughly 1200 calories, or 1.2Kcals (what we measure food in).

Viper GTS

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Originally posted by: LordJezo
It is such a small difference that you will never ever see the effect of doing so.

At least do the math.

Assuming cold = 0°C
Room temperature = 20°
Body temperature = 37°C

It would take 20 calories per oz more to raise cold drinks to body temperature than room temperature drinks.

If you're drinking 64 oz of water per day that's roughly 1200 calories, or 1.2Kcals (what we measure food in).

Viper GTS

interesting...

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Drinking cold water isn't going to make you lose weight. I like water that's slightly below room temperature. The closer to room temperature water is, the more of it you will drink, which is desireable because water is good for you. So drink lukewarm water.

Jackhammerz

Jan 25, 2004
At least do the math.

Assuming cold = 0°C
Room temperature = 20°
Body temperature = 37°C

Viper GTS

That is very true, but the water have to be above 0°C because it would be frozen if it was at that temp. Most of the time cold water should be 5-7°C.

Dec 28, 2001
It's actually better to drink lukewarm water after you work out, if this makes any difference.

*edit* So instead of being a lazy b1tch and counting what calories yo burn while driknig water, you can ACTUALLY WORK OUT and not worry about that crap at all!

<--- Vindictive for no reason whatsoever. :evil:

Amorphus

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Who drinks warm water?

This is a cultural thing - most first-generation Chinese, I've found, also aren't that particular to cold drinks.

Bigot. :p

ArmenK

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Jackhammerz
At least do the math.

Assuming cold = 0°C
Room temperature = 20°
Body temperature = 37°C

Viper GTS

That is very true, but the water have to be above 0°C because it would be frozen if it was at that temp. Most of the time cold water should be 5-7°C.

The point is at MOST you are burning 1.2 Calories drinking 64 oz of cold water per day.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Many European countries don't serve drinks cold because it was once widely held that cold beverages are bad for the health. I'm pretty sure that they no longer actually think that but instead serve lukewarm drinks out of tradition.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I drink lukewarm water myself. granted in the summer i do put some in the fridge.

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001
I like guzzling water, and I cant do that if its cold, plus my teeth a a bit sensitive. Of course if I'm working out, I can chug cold water, but sitting in my office drinking ice cold water...naah..

lukewarm for me please.