Should unions be able to take money for political purposes from nonmembers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Yep
That's the way you do it.

Also, if money is being taken from non-members as a matter of employment why should it matter where the money goes?

We didn't agree to have it taken and the union can raise the amount at any time. The opt out window is in June, and in July they can raise it to $60 a month and you still cannot opt out.

Again how would you like it if one day your employer started taking $30 a month from your paycheck without warning and without permission to give to Santorem.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Yawn. Either it's worth your time & effort to file the paperwork, or it's not. They already have your name, address & SS# for pension purposes. Dunno about your state, but in Colorado employers are not prohibited from informing employees wrt becoming a fee objector- mine has done so every time there's threat of a strike.

Like I said, you're free to choose other employment if it means that much to you, but it probably won't pay as well for the same work, nor have the same benefits.

We all would like to have it both ways, but that's usually not the way it is. Wherever you work, other than for yourself, there will be rules & conditions you may not find optimal. Deal with it.

Yet I am quite positive that you agree with all the "pro-union" laws that can force a company to unionize. Where is the "your free to choose other employment if it means that much to you" then?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Your're bitching about 20-30/month? LMFAO

Do you have any idea what an additional $360 dollars a year in a 401K would be by the time you retire?

Besides, its still $350 a year. How much is the payroll tax cut for most Americans? Its gotta be relatively close....

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yet I am quite positive that you agree with all the "pro-union" laws that can force a company to unionize. Where is the "your free to choose other employment if it means that much to you" then?

I'm terribly sorry to inform you that what you offer simply has no relationship to reality. Union membership has fallen substantially over the last 30 years. If the law & its enforcement were as you claim, it likely would have held steady or increased.

http://www.dickmeister.com/id89.html

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
How would you like if your employer decided he was going to deduct $30 a month from your paycheck to give to the GOP.
I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear his answer. I'm thinkin' it's going to be a long wait.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
If you're in a union you should have to play by their rules, that's the price for membership. It's too bad ppl too stupid to see they are using those funds to work for you at some level.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
We didn't agree to have it taken and the union can raise the amount at any time. The opt out window is in June, and in July they can raise it to $60 a month and you still cannot opt out.

Again how would you like it if one day your employer started taking $30 a month from your paycheck without warning and without permission to give to Santorem.

You agreed to the terms of employment when you took the job, and part of those rules are in the Union contract.

Your $30/mo figure is pure propaganda, as near as I can tell. And it doesn't matter how much they raise it if you've already opted out, now does it?

Unless you edited, boomerang is misquoting you, a clear violation of the posting guidelines. Your employer is already taking money out of your paycheck for political contributions if they so choose, there's just no accounting required as with Unions, and you can't opt out of that, either. They've probably been doing it since before you were hired, held down wages for that purpose & others, in all likelihood. With the recent Citizens United ruling, they'll be able to divert even more money away from your pay check & towards politicians who'll favor the ownership class far above your own.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
$20 a month lol too. When i was in a union (banquet server at LA convention center) I made 5x more than a restaurant waiter at 18. Take it. Please. I didnt need loans for college. Paid Cash. I also had an apartment ON the beach. Like sand and girls right below my deck.

Here is is pic of me working it at 18 lol Best job ever. $500-$1600 a night. Yeah I'd paid $200 a month.

zeb_001.jpg

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If you're in a union you should have to play by their rules, that's the price for membership. It's too bad ppl too stupid to see they are using those funds to work for you at some level.

Entirely too true.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011

Sorry taking my money and giving it to a candidate that I don't support doesn't help me. I am not a member of the union either, I am a fair share employee.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
You agreed to the terms of employment when you took the job, and part of those rules are in the Union contract.

Your $30/mo figure is pure propaganda, as near as I can tell. And it doesn't matter how much they raise it if you've already opted out, now does it?

Unless you edited, boomerang is misquoting you, a clear violation of the posting guidelines. Your employer is already taking money out of your paycheck for political contributions if they so choose, there's just no accounting required as with Unions, and you can't opt out of that, either. They've probably been doing it since before you were hired, held down wages for that purpose & others, in all likelihood. With the recent Citizens United ruling, they'll be able to divert even more money away from your pay check & towards politicians who'll favor the ownership class far above your own.

Wrong, I signed no union contract. And the $30 isn't propaganda that is how much it is where I work. We pay 1.5% of our wages to the union and 35-45% of that is non germane, so if you opt out you get to keep that.

I assure you my employer uses no money for political purposes. It does mater how much they raise it because I must opt out EVERY YEAR. Again you ignore the fact that I must take time off work to opt out.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is just another subset of the phenomenon I described in my recent " Why do we resent having to pay for the mistakes others make?" thread.

Why should I be forced to pay union dues or have to jump though hoops to avoid them. The answer is as Zebo said in post #33 above.

It would be fine for folk to opt out of union dues, in my opinion, if they could also be prevented from partaking of the benefits negotiated by the union and had to negotiate their own package separately. Every employer has a powerful motivation to pay as little as he can for labor and if he deals with each of his employees one on one he also has all the leverage. This is why union jobs have better benefits than non union jobs, there is power in collective bargaining. Collective bargaining is just that, collective. The union has to collect something from the membership in order to fund the structure that develops and sustains the leverage to counter management. Our society is structured to reward greedy selfish assholes who think only of themselves and this can only be offset by folk who have the intelligence to hang together, but being a greedy selfish asshole has gotten so much praise and social support nowadays that even union members want want to emulate their bosses. We see what the results are today, the death of the middle class worker. The bosses have bought the government and destroyed the unions so they can return to having all the leverage with the average person getting nothing. One can find fewer better examples of self hate. The brain dead have been convinced that their unions are evil and they become so because folk don't participate.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Wrong, I signed no union contract.

Don't be a weasel, OK? Your employer signed the contract, and you agree to work under the terms of it every time you deposit your paycheck.

1.5%?!/!!! OMFG! That's outrageous! I'd suggest you quit your job & go work somewhere else for less, just so you'll have something real to whine about, other than losing a couple hours of pay to greedily keep an extra $350. Mew!

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
This is just another subset of the phenomenon I described in my recent " Why do we resent having to pay for the mistakes others make?" thread.

Why should I be forced to pay union dues or have to jump though hoops to avoid them. The answer is as Zebo said in post #33 above.

It would be fine for folk to opt out of union dues, in my opinion, if they could also be prevented from partaking of the benefits negotiated by the union and had to negotiate their own package separately. Every employer has a powerful motivation to pay as little as he can for labor and if he deals with each of his employees one on one he also has all the leverage. This is why union jobs have better benefits than non union jobs, there is power in collective bargaining. Collective bargaining is just that, collective. The union has to collect something from the membership in order to fund the structure that develops and sustains the leverage to counter management. Our society is structured to reward greedy selfish assholes who think only of themselves and this can only be offset by folk who have the intelligence to hang together, but being a greedy selfish asshole has gotten so much praise and social support nowadays that even union members want want to emulate their bosses. We see what the results are today, the death of the middle class worker. The bosses have bought the government and destroyed the unions so they can return to having all the leverage with the average person getting nothing. One can find fewer better examples of self hate. The brain dead have been convinced that their unions are evil and they become so because folk don't participate.

You don't understand I am not opting out of paying the union to negotiate for me. I am opting out them giving money to a candidate that I don't support.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Don't be a weasel, OK? Your employer signed the contract, and you agree to work under the terms of it every time you deposit your paycheck.

1.5%?!/!!! OMFG! That's outrageous! I'd suggest you quit your job & go work somewhere else for less, just so you'll have something real to whine about, other than losing a couple hours of pay to greedily keep an extra $350. Mew!

:rolleyes:

I cannot wait for the day that I am promoted to beyond the Unions reach.

These people get Life Insurance, Greater Disability Insurance, More Vacation, all kinds of extra benefits. Better dental and healthcare coverage, all kinds of pluses for being promoted to beyond the unions reach.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

These people get Life Insurance, Greater Disability Insurance, More Vacation, all kinds of extra benefits. Better dental and healthcare coverage, all kinds of pluses for being promoted to beyond the unions reach.

There are many factors in being promoted to management, slurpage generally being more important than competence or hard work.

Just a bit of career guidance.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

The union guys made more where I worked. We got 17% of the total banquet cost and they are pricey per head. But after all we did all the work. Hauling 75lbs trays a mile. Wiping down the sweat before entering the haul. 22 hr days was not uncommon. All manager did was sit in a chair on "push to talk" barking.

Union were stronger back then though.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
The lefties are just pissed at you because they want to keep that union money rolling in to their political causes. It's in their self interest to screw over people and steal their money, it's what they do. Everyone knows this.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Well I don't live in a RTW state (Michigan) but it's extremely complex here. When I pay my quarterly dues, I can choose to add the whopping $4 to the check for the Voluntary-PAC contribution. So difficult.

Outside of that, I pay around $90 per quarter and 1.5% of gross wages.

<-- IBEW LU 58

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
That would be fine I like Rick, he's my kind of guy; and I apparently work somewhere and agreed to let focus-on-the-family take cash from my pay-check... why would I be pissed, much less surprised, when they take cash out of my check and use it to support their cause?

The point is that for whatever reason you're agreement to work includes you giving money to unions. Why? Hell if I know, i would consider myself an out-right idiot for working in such a place; but I have a low alternative-self-efficacy.

But since you do work there, you know the shins unions pull and you know that the unions can take your money at-will as a matter of your employment, it seems rather clear that you need to quit yer bitchn'.

All manager did was sit in a chair on "push to talk" barking.
which is super easy and never leads to premature gray hair and a heart-attack.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Unions should be forbidden from being political at all unless they give up their tax exempt status.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Well I don't live in a RTW state (Michigan) but it's extremely complex here. When I pay my quarterly dues, I can choose to add the whopping $4 to the check for the Voluntary-PAC contribution. So difficult.

Outside of that, I pay around $90 per quarter and 1.5% of gross wages.

<-- IBEW LU 58

I wouldn't mind something like this, but it isn't like that here.