should there be a Game of Thrones amusement park?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

Oh, the place was a blast. If you had no concept of your own mortality and great insurance there was nothing like Action Park. I only went there twice and saw at least a dozen ambulance evacuations.

They had go-carts that were pretty quick, but they had speed governors on them. The ride operators were stoned 20 year olds who didn't give a damn and they're teach some of the riders how to defeat the governors. Without the governors those things flew, they were too fast for the track contours and had to be driven really carefully or they'd fly off the curves. The fun part was that the carts were rear-engined and the way to defeat the governor was to reach behind you and open the throttle by hand. So you could only have one hand on the wheel if you were bypassing the governor and the carts were too fast to drive with one hand if you were bypassing the governor. The crashes were legendary, it was like what NASCAR would be if all the drivers were drunk and blindfolded.

And the carts were not the most dangerous. The alpine slide was deadly and a couple of the water rides were even worse. The loop was short-lived, I never went on that one. They had another that dropped you down a steep tube into a blind 90* turn and dumped you off about 15 feet above the water. So it was like doing a cannonball off a high diving board where you couldn't see the pool. The ride operators were supposed to wait until one person hit, surfaced and swam out of the landing zone before allowing the next person to go. But like the go cart ops, they didn't give a damn and just sent people every few seconds. That might have been the ride responsible for the most injuries, people would drop out of the tube and barely have time to surface when another person would land right on top of them. One of the worse designed rides I've ever seen, just brutally dangerous.