Should the US bring Turkish Troops into Iraq against the wishes of the Iraqis

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
The Iraqi governing council appears to be publically against any deployment of Turkish troops in the country, with the Kurds being the angriest (for obvious resons).

Should we go ahead and do it anyway as it would be a great aid to US forces possibly eliminating the need to call up more reserves and guard troops?

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
This is ridiculous, considering the history of many sects of the Iraqis and the Turkies.

Could they bring any one any more worse than the Turks are considered?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
This is ridiculous, considering the history of many sects of the Iraqis and the Turkies.

Could they bring any one any more worse than the Turks are considered?

Iranians?

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: cumhail
Well, they could... and it seems will... bring in the Serbs:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/04/international/europe/04SERB.html

cumhail
Wrong country, but that's pretty surreal.
the possibility that Serbian troops, who battled Muslims in Bosnia and in Kosovo in the Balkan wars of the 1990's, could be involved in combat operations against Muslims and in antiterrorist operations against members and supporters of Al Qaeda might be seen by both Muslims and non-Muslims as undesirable.
I'll say.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: sward666

cumhail
the possibility that Serbian troops, who battled Muslims in Bosnia and in Kosovo in the Balkan wars of the 1990's, could be involved in combat operations against Muslims and in antiterrorist operations against members and supporters of Al Qaeda might be seen by both Muslims and non-Muslims as undesirable.
I'll say.

Serbia and Monetnegro have to be brought back into the international community at some point. Ostracizing nations for extended periods after the conflict is over has proven to be an unwise policy.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

cumhail
I'll say.

Serbia and Monetnegro have to be brought back into the international community at some point. Ostracizing nations for extended periods after the conflict is over has proven to be an unwise policy.
Of course, but would we have considered asking Germans to pull security duty in Israel in 1950? I don't think so.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

cumhail
I'll say.

Of course, but would we have considered asking Germans to pull security duty in Israel in 1950? I don't think so.

Actually the Germans were pumping weapons and money into Israel at that time.

cumhail

Apr 1, 2003
Well the 'and will,' perhaps, was poorly worded and should have been left out. I just meant that not much seems unlikely anymore.

Sorry if that was unintentionally unclear/misleading,

cumhail

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001

cumhail
I'll say.

Actually the Germans were pumping weapons and money into Israel at that time.
Really? Got a link or something?

Nevertheless, supply/aid is one thing; armed troops is another. Surely you see my point here.

EDIT: Found my own. Reparations is a little different than "economic aid".

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
No way not the Turks. They are in it for the wrong reasons.

good point about Germans in Isreal in the late 50's LoL