Should the U.S. government "bail out" individuals and/or corporations? (Poll)

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
There's been a lot of talk lately of of private gains and socialized losses. Instead of saying that corporations should not be bailed out and individuals should be, I like to think that this is a reason for having higher taxes on the rich (capital gains + progressive income tax).

Is anyone aware of how much revenue capital gains tax generate in one year? I would be curious to see how it compares with the bail out of AIG. I argue frequently that the rich should pay more because they have more to lose if government isn't around. These recent bail-outs are a perfect example. The bum has nothing to gain from an AIG bail-out but most other Americans do and they should pay for more of it.

On the other hand, I think the poor should get some basic level of "bailing out" but they already get this by way of food stamps and basic shelter in most cities.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
will my government be there for me if i lose my job and cant make my house payment, car payment credit card payment? will they bail me out and save me?

no i didnt think so.

so my money that my government took from me was used to BUY a private company... that is communism pure and simple.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Yes, I want it to coddle all of us. Hold me. I need a bailout, too.

You know, for a party that supports small gov, this one sure isn't acting like it.

And that's a joke anyway; we all know that republicans grow gov faster than anybody else, although dems are behind all this, too.

What a mess.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Citrix
will my government be there for me if i lose my job and cant make my house payment, car payment credit card payment? will they bail me out and save me?

no i didnt think so.

so my money that my government took from me was used to BUY a private company... that is communism pure and simple.

Not sure about the communism part but the rest is spot on.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Well, 1 type of bailout is a loan. The other is a giveaway.

Doesn't the Fed stand to gain a lot of money off the AIG deal?

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: winnar111
Well, 1 type of bailout is a loan. The other is a giveaway.

Doesn't the Fed stand to gain a lot of money off the AIG deal?

Yeah, I read that 'we' own about 80% of AIG now. But you know if 'we' get any 'profits' congress will spend them on more crap instead of paying off some of our debt..