Should the justice department sue over New York city stop and frisk?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
NY's stop and frisk law is questionable for sure; however, Im not sure what it has to do with Arizona law.

If a local sheriff can not ask people about their citizenship status, why should new york city be allowed to search people with no probable cause?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
But which crimes does it deter? There are all types of crimes: violent, non-violent, drug-related, etc.

Don't know and really do not care. If you do, go ahead and research it.

And don't they NYPD target particular groups with this law? They may be random people within those groups but if it's not applied to all groups it isn't being equally applied.

I have not read the law, so I do not know what groups it is aimed at. Have you read it?

Also, you should probably re-read the the article if the only thing you took from it was the "crime has dropped 80% since the mid 90's" part.

If that is all you got out of my post, you should re-read my post first. ;)

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
If a local sheriff can not ask people about their citizenship status, why should new york city be allowed to search people with no probable cause?

Probable cause is needed for arrest. Reasonable suspicion is needed for a search.

So it is a nonsensical question because you are confused as to standard of proof.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
My point is that what you are asking doesn't make sense. It's a non-sequitur.

Not sure what comics have to do with it...

NonSequitur_Sheep.jpg

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Don't know and really do not care. If you do, go ahead and research it.

I have not read the law, so I do not know what groups it is aimed at. Have you read it?

If that is all you got out of my post, you should re-read my post first. ;)

But that's the one line from the article you quoted. I think you should research it, since it's the only line from a multi-line article you quoted.

Yes I have. The "Stop and Frisk" law disproportionately targets minorities. The NYPD don't seem to target very many white people for stop and frisk. I think they should target all races equally or come up with another way to collect fines and fees and clog up the court system and drive up their arrest/convict numbers. So that clueless people such as yourself can feel warm and fuzzy inside.

But that's all that was in your post. One line out of a multi-line article. Can't you do any better than that? Maybe you should re-type your post. The whole class will wait while Mr. cybrsage re-types his post; after he has read the original article in full. Anyone who thought they were going to get out of school on time today has Mr. cybrsage to thank.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
But that's the one line from the article you quoted. I think you should research it, since it's the only line from a multi-line article you quoted.

Nah, I will let you research your own questions.

Yes I have. The "Stop and Frisk" law disproportionately targets minorities. The NYPD don't seem to target very many white people for stop and frisk.

Can you support your claim, or will this simply be another thing you claim is true without any support?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
My point is that what you are asking doesn't make sense. It's a non-sequitur.

My question makes perfect "sense".

What is the difference in Sheriff Joe asking for ID at random, and New York city asking for ID at random?

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

What is the difference in Sheriff Joe asking for ID at random, and New York city asking for ID at random?

One is a solidly blue city and state, the other is not in one. The DoJ acts accordingly ;)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Come on man.

Our good friend Sheriff Joe is being sued for racial profiling and abuse of prisoners, not for 'asking for ID at random'.

For what it's worth, I believe there is substantial evidence for racial profiling in NYC's stop and frisk program. That program has not been going on nearly as long as our good friend Joe's programs however, nor has NYC repeatedly attempted to ignore federal action on the issue. People seem to be waking up to NYC's policy now, and I bet you will see some sort of action taken if it persists.

What's strange to me is that conservatives on here who are constantly worried about the abuse of power are somehow terribly shocked, confused, and offended when Joe Arpaio is sued for.... abuse of government power. I guess that just shows how invested people are in their political sports teams instead of their principles.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Nah, I will let you research your own questions.

Can you support your claim, or will this simply be another thing you claim is true without any support?

Too lazy or incompetent to read the article? Clearly you are incompetent.

Yes, the statistics quoted in the article show that "Stop and Frisk" disproportionately targets minorities.

Perhaps taking and passing a remedial reading comprehension course would be to your benefit.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
IIRC, they've stopped and frisked more blacks than there are black residents according to the census figures for N.Y.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
IIRC, they've stopped and frisked more blacks than there are black residents according to the census figures for N.Y.

I know. It's all about getting arrest numbers up, guilty pleas up, and more fines and fees for the NYPD.

Give people the illusion that crime is being dealt with and they won't bother to research what's really going on.