Should the HPV vaccine be mandatory?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
And that's harmful ideology. So the government has no business 'mandating' that you can't bring fruits harboring dangerous insects into the country - personal choice.

There's a big difference between losing some fruit you bought on vacation and having your child forcibly vaccinated.

Don't get me wrong - if I have children, they'll be vaccinated against anything they can be. And I'm fine with children who aren't vaccinated being segregated from babies who are too young to be vaccinated. I am very much for leaving other people the hell alone, so I believe it should be their choice on personal health issues.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
I'm in favour of an opt-in strategy, only because there are some people that are advised against being vaccinated. My son had severe allergies, and our doctor advised that we should skip vaccinating him, as some of the vaccines have egg based ingredients. But for my daughter, we made sure she has been fully vaccinated, including the the HPV vaccine.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
There's a big difference between losing some fruit you bought on vacation and having your child forcibly vaccinated.

The point is, the government SHOULD have mandatory policies when it's warranted.

Don't get me wrong - if I have children, they'll be vaccinated against anything they can be. And I'm fine with children who aren't vaccinated being segregated from babies who are too young to be vaccinated. I am very much for leaving other people the hell alone, so I believe it should be their choice on personal health issues.

And an opt-out policy address that just fine.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm in favour of an opt-in strategy, only because there are some people that are advised against being vaccinated. My son had severe allergies, and our doctor advised that we should skip vaccinating him, as some of the vaccines have egg based ingredients. But for my daughter, we made sure she has been fully vaccinated, including the the HPV vaccine.

How about a 'mandatory parental response' - parents need to respond 'yes or no'.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If the statistics support that the vaccine is less deadly than the disease, than I 100% support every parent having their child get it, or getting it themselves. Why should what I believe be forced on others?

"Opt out" is not forced on others. 'Force on others' is for when they threaten others.

Dec 30, 2004
Mercury, lithium, fluoride, aluminum, cyanide, aspartame, and prosac should ALL be mandatory daily injections, along with 200 mSV of Fukushima radiation. Only then would Total Stupidity be achieved. It never ceases to amaze me how incredibly lost this society is. The debates some people are having are straight out of Idiocracy. If you think this sort of debate is at all rational then you need to do some research. Then you will realize how utterly breathtaking our decline has become.

lol

Dec 30, 2004
anything and everything that will encourage the young ones to have sex at an earlier age I am for, including forced HPV vaccines.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This is good parenting. You weigh the risks and benefits of each alternative rather than mumbling "vaccines are good!" or "vaccines are bad!" And the risks and benefits are not at all necessarily the same for each child.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Maybe if you don't want to vaccinate your kids you put up a million dollar bond or be subject to the death penalty if your kid or somebody he or she infects dies.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
anything and everything that will encourage the young ones to have sex at an earlier age I am for, including forced HPV vaccines.

Who are you, a lunatic Christian who thinks sex is bad? You fucking conservatives and your fucking fear of sexual women. You're sick.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
I'm not sure that it's ever a good idea for a government to mandate anything that's health related. People want to live their lives the way they want and not have someone interfere with their personal matters. Your health and your child's health is about as personal as you get.

The problem is when your kid gets another kid sick.

Sexual diseases are probably the easiest for people to identify with for this example:

There's a vaccine for HIV. You don't get it since your kid will never engage in risky behavior. Unfortunately for your kid she has sex with someone who does engage in risky behavior. Boom HIV.

I suppose you're thinking your kid will never give a blowjob or have unprotected anal sex. That would be delusional of course.

So basically by allowing parents to make the decision you would end up with the dumb parents making a bad choice for their children.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Maybe if you don't want to vaccinate your kids you put up a million dollar bond or be subject to the death penalty if your kid or somebody he or she infects dies.
The converse of that would be that you can mandate vaccination, but suffer lifetime imprisonment if one of the kids is brain damaged or dies as a result of the vaccine.

The problem is when your kid gets another kid sick.

Sexual diseases are probably the easiest for people to identify with for this example:

There's a vaccine for HIV. You don't get it since your kid will never engage in risky behavior. Unfortunately for your kid she has sex with someone who does engage in risky behavior. Boom HIV.

I suppose you're thinking your kid will never give a blowjob or have unprotected anal sex. That would be delusional of course.

So basically by allowing parents to make the decision you would end up with the dumb parents making a bad choice for their children.
If a disease is only transmitted through intentional contact, especially sexual contact where one knowingly risks a variety of serious, incurable, and potentially fatal diseases, then both parties are knowingly engaging in risky behavior. Last clear chance to avoid is your child's vagina accepting my child's penis. (Not mention that if YOUR child is vaccinated, a non-vaccinated child poses no risk at all.)

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
If a disease is only transmitted through intentional contact, especially sexual contact where one knowingly risks a variety of serious, incurable, and potentially fatal diseases, then both parties are knowingly engaging in risky behavior. Last clear chance to avoid is your child's vagina accepting my child's penis. (Not mention that if YOUR child is vaccinated, a non-vaccinated child poses no risk at all.)

Wait. Wait a second. Are you anti-sex or something? WTF are you even saying?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
werepossum: The converse of that would be that you can mandate vaccination, but suffer lifetime imprisonment if one of the kids is brain damaged or dies as a result of the vaccine.

M: Not at all. It is a matter of numbers. Count the number of folk who actually die from a vaccine and count the number who will die if their is no vaccination against the disease. If the number saved by vaccination is significant compared to the risk there's no crime if mandating it. It is the lesser of two evils.

w: If a disease is only transmitted through intentional contact, especially sexual contact where one knowingly risks a variety of serious, incurable, and potentially fatal diseases, then both parties are knowingly engaging in risky behavior. Last clear chance to avoid is your child's vagina accepting my child's penis. (Not mention that if YOUR child is vaccinated, a non-vaccinated child poses no risk at all.)

M: Exactly why universal vaccination is effective. You believe folk have choice in their behavior. I know too much to believe that. People are robots and sound asleep. Things happen to them, they do not will anything. Contrary thinking is just the ego speaking. We don't want to know that we are autonomic machines. We don't want to know that all the things we flatter ourselves about achieving are all accidental.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I'll toss in my 2 cents on this...

My cousin died of AIDS in the early 2000's.
He had developed many cancers when his immune system took a dive.
His doctor told him that he was also positive for the HPV virus AND
that fact had allowed most of his cancers to take hold.
Adding that because he had the HPV virus, treating his Hiv (AIDS) was
going to be much more difficult. That treating the cancers was going to be his major
health issue he faced with his AIDS. Especially anal cancer, and KS skin cancer.
In the end, he was overwhelmed by his KS skin cancer, it spread and it did eventually take his life. The cause of death.

Now... as much as I hate Perry, and I do... I really do, Perry was right about treating as many as possible with the HPV vaccine. HPV is a nasty virus and it opens a path for so many cancers to take hold in all people, not just HIV positive people. Men "AND" women.

Perry was right to insist on treating young women. And young men should also be included. HPV is not just a women’s virus.

When something so simple can be done to protect against getting the HPV virus, it is outrageous not to treat as many as possible. HPV is a nasty deadly silent virus that you never know you have until that person comes down with cancer.
HPV does not cause cancer, it opens the door and paves the way for cancer to happen.
Why in the hell risk that?????

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What is your thought on making the HPV vaccine mandatory. Should it be mandatory for both boys and girls, or just for girls.

Some facts: Each year around 12,800 women develope cervical cancer in the U.S from the HPV virus, and around 5,600 men will develope oral cancer from the HPV virus, over 2,000 women a year will develope oral cancer from the HPV in the U.S. There is growing evidence that HPV can be spread through kissing alone, so kissing someone with an oral HPV infection puts you at risk for oral cancer.

YES for both! HPV is as preventable as polio, measles, mumps and whooping cough. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Gardasil is the hpv vaccine being pushed by Merck which competes against rival hpv vaccine Cervarix made by GlaxoSmithKline.

Merck spent millions looking to make their vaccine mandatory and lock up the market before rival GlaxoSmithKline could get their hpv vaccine Cervarix to market, it had nothing to do with protecting your little girls.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Yes. Make it mandatory with opt-out. There are a lot of lazy and irresponsible parents that would never opt in unless they absolutely had to. They put everyone at risk. Its simple math.

Besides, STD or not, we should immunize our population if a FDA approved vaccine is available. We should relish the opportunity to rid the world of any disease, regardless of the vector of transmission.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
wow I must have hit a little too close to home

True, it really bothers me that anybody could be so stupid. I feel deep pity for your mental state. Only a total asshole would say what you said and mean it and only an idiot would claim such a cause and effect. And generally speaking only somebody stuffed full of false Christian sexual repression could be brainwashed enough to believe such horse shit.

llee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2009
I'm wondering sometimes if the US should just split into two countries, one for the left and one for the right, because the differences seem so absurdly large.

It only seems huge because the silent majority (independents) isn't screaming for blood.

Last edited: