Should the government extend unemployment benefits?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I think it's time to start transitioning back to 26 weeks, but I think it should be a controlled transition rather than a sudden stop.

Here in Michigan, one of the states with the highest unemployment, they cut regular unemployment to 20 weeks, since they went broke when it was 99+ weeks.

It was 26 weeks, plus 13 extended before the feds got involved. It's good to know that those of us who have never drawn in over 30 to 40 years of employment, will now get half of what we used to be eligible if our jobs dry up.

I think the extensions should have been much shorter, and ended long ago.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
The info about NC you cite seems to support the 'people are just slacking' idea. I would think dropping out of the workforce IS slacking.

Also, sounds like a lot of pessimism among the current unemployed.

Fern
I expect it varies by person. As I understand it, in order to qualify for unemployment one must report job applications to the state every week. A lot of people probably won't bother jumping through that hoop every week if they get nothing in return. They have thus "dropped out" of the workforce as far as the government is concerned, even though they may still be looking for and applying for jobs

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
1 year might be okay. After that it is time to move or find a job at walmart or something like that.

It is just economics and common sense. Is it unemployment or welfare?

I worked at a factory and we would get layed off every year in the Fall, so I though of unemployment as vacation.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The government should employ unemployed conservatives to collect somewhere and shit into plastic bags. Then it should employ unemployed liberals to force feed them government subsidized food. It should employ unemployed independents to go to stores and buy government subsidized food and plastic bags. It should employ unemployed scientists to invent biodegradable plastic bags, and unemployed farmers to haul away the used bags to spread on their fields. This should insure an infinite supply of government subsidized brain defective fool that won't struggle when you force feed it. Everybody will be as happy as the most ignorant conservative is today.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
1 year might be okay. After that it is time to move or find a job at walmart or something like that.

It is just economics and common sense. Is it unemployment or welfare?

I worked at a factory and we would get layed off every year in the Fall, so I though of unemployment as vacation.

I am sure Walmart is going to be in a hurry to hire people just when a chunk of their customers is going to lose income.

cuafpr

Nov 5, 2009
If extended it should be tied to some sort of cumminity service, they could pick up trash along roads, clean up parks etc... while collecting UE.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The government should employ unemployed conservatives to collect somewhere and shit into plastic bags. Then it should employ unemployed liberals to force feed them government subsidized food. It should employ unemployed independents to go to stores and buy government subsidized food and plastic bags. It should employ unemployed scientists to invent biodegradable plastic bags, and unemployed farmers to haul away the used bags to spread on their fields. This should insure an infinite supply of government subsidized brain defective fool that won't struggle when you force feed it. Everybody will be as happy as the most ignorant conservative is today.

This forum doesn't want you any more than your mother did, dumpster baby.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Chalk up one for the taxpayers for a change, extended unemployment is no more. After 99 weeks unemployment benefits for many, you can either go get a job or go on welfare after 26 weeks, which is the level we should have never deviated from.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Chalk up one for the taxpayers for a change, extended unemployment is no more. After 99 weeks unemployment benefits for many, you can either go get a job or go on welfare after 26 weeks, which is the level we should have never deviated from.

Sadly, another hit against economics. Unfortunately, this is pretty much in line with what we've been experiencing for awhile now. You really start to wonder sometimes how we as a country got stuck with these people.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Sadly, another hit against economics. Unfortunately, this is pretty much in line with what we've been experiencing for awhile now. You really start to wonder sometimes how we as a country got stuck with these people.

Since all you care about the magical "multiplier effect," you shouldn't care whether benefits are paid from unemployment or welfare. So long as the recipients can keep buying their processed junk food, beer, and lotto tickets to keep "stimulating" the economy who cares, amirite?

Apr 27, 2012
Good for Rand Paul. Unemployment benefits shouldn't be extended at all and it's just another way of keeping them unemployed.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Since all you care about the magical "multiplier effect," you shouldn't care whether benefits are paid from unemployment or welfare. So long as the recipients can keep buying their processed junk food, beer, and lotto tickets to keep "stimulating" the economy who cares, amirite?

If this is an argument over the name we give something, you can call it whatever you want and I don't care. As for your ideas as to how unemployment dollars are most frequently spent, they seem about as accurate as your take on the economics of the situation.

Unemployment insurance keeps people at least marginally attached to the labor force, which is a good thing, and provides good stimulus, which we need much more of. You may not like what the economics research tells you, but if you look at it objectively the answer is not to end extended unemployment benefits in our current economic situation.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I don't care if people have children. That is their problem. It takes two to have a child. Where are the deadbeat dads?