Should Sega give the Dreamcast the DVD Option?

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
Thinking about the Dreamcast and stuff, I was wondering if Sega will give people the option of installing an extra microchip or something so their Dreamcasts can play DVDs lke PS2?

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
sega is getting out of the consumer hardware business and concentrating on
software/game development...so i guess the answer is no

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
well, there were rumors of a dvd unit for the dreamcast.

it is not a chip or anything, it's another drive that attaches to the dreamcast.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
I thought this was definitly planned? I was at EB talking to one of the salespeople, and he was trying to convince me to get a DC, and he mentioned that it was a planned add-on. But you can never trust these people /w info...

Unsickle

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
DVD addons are pointless. You can just buy a real DVD player. It's sort of like the mp3 player addons for cell phones. give me a BREAK.

Genocide I'm talking about the subject at hand, which is a dreamcast add-on DVD player. I'm all for native support such as the PSX2. In fact, I'm looking to buy a PSX2 once they're available since I don't have a dedicated DVD player yet. What I'm saying is that the add-on is stupid.

pamchenko

Golden Member
Nov 28, 1999
word unsickle...makes no sense..unless flash memory storage were to plummet to CDR prices...I'll pass

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< You can just buy a real DVD player >>

Can we compare prices here? An addon will cost a fraction of a full set-top DVD player. So why is this so rediculous? If a system has the ability to do something (for instance, the PS could play audio CDs because it ran off of CD media), then why not toss it in? Also, I'm a person who has no room for a DVD player, and the fact that PS2 has the capability built in will help immensly.

Soulflare

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
I believe that Sega has learned that additions are never a good
idea for consoles from their own experience (remember the Sega
CD and 32X?). The luke warm reception for Nintendo's 64DD in
Japan and the assured poor sales of the PS2's future harddrive
only reinforces that point.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Soulflare, I think that Harddrives will sell, as long as the system has internet access. Granted, I doubt the sales will be great, but I think that having net access coupled with a HD makes for a good combo. But time will tell...

Spicollidriver1

May 30, 2000
I read awhile back somewhere that Sega said they don't want to go to dvd now because addons never do good. dvd storage is not that much bigger then the one they have now, and it would be admitting that the chose the wrong media, and we all know big companies don't admit they are wrong.

Demosthenes

Jul 23, 2000
Sega just recently told DailyRadar I believe it was.. to &quot;forget you ever saw/we ever talked about a DVD addon&quot;. Of course I don't still have the page so don't hold me to that.

Soulflare

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
I think for the PS2 the modem and network adapter will do
okay, because games like all the 2002 EA Sports games, Gran
Turismo 4 and so on will support it. However, I can't see
the harddrive doing well since it will simply cost too much,
probably no less than $100, and how are developers going to
make any use of it when few people have it, and even fewer
have both it and some kind of internet connection?

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally a DVD module was planned but my cousin who works at EB told me that this idea has been dropped. I guess since Sega plans to get out of the console business proves that.

Cheers,
Aquaman

Doomsday

Sep 11, 2000
I think the Dreamcast uses DVD type disks for its games. I think to play movies Sega just needs to add a decoder, and all that would be needed would be something like that put on to a memory card type thing. I could be wrong though, so don't quote me.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
i believe the dreamcast uses gigadisc
not exactly dvds but bigger than a standard cd
hence the problem in ripping nfl2k1

Spicollidriver1

May 30, 2000
It is a standard cd it's just a company found a way to burn a larger image on it. I don't remember who but I wanna say yamaha.

Oct 19, 2000
Yeah, for the Dreamcast, they use the term Gigadisc or something. It holds a Gigabyte of data, if you haven't already figured that out, and was thought to be very secure against pirating. Now, as you all may know, if a game doesn't take up an entire Gigabyte (which a lot don't), then you can succesfully burn them to a CD, and use that Utopia stuff to play them. It was an ingenious design at the beginning, but they didn't, and couldn't, forsee the ease of getting around it.

I look for future games to contain some kind of protection in the form of files listed to be way larger than normal, or something to that effect that will effectivly make the game data larger than 700MB so it won't all fit on a regular CD.

SilentBoB

Golden Member
Nov 13, 1999
A DVD addon is only a good idea if they can make it the quality of a stand-alone player at a fraction of the cost. Then, all of the Dreamcast owners will want it because it is a cheap way for them to get DVD(If they don't already have a DVD player).