Should RAM be exactly the same?

Axel Scotte

Nov 18, 2016
I'm looking to increase RAM capacity. I have 2 8gb sticks and can get 2 more sticks. Would it be better to buy the same exact RAM or should I get something better? For example, my 2 sticks are DDR4 3000Mhz. Should I get DDR4 3200Mhz or 3400Mhz, etc?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ideally it should be the same.

Sometimes mixing different RAM modules can cause issues (rare, but I've seen it quite a few times on here over the years). Plus, even if it works, all of your RAM will only run at the speeds of the slowest module installed.

So in your case, you should stick to the same kit of DDR4 3000, or sell your old kit and buy new matching RAM. Finally, unless you have specific program / task uses for 32 GB of RAM, most people don't need (or use) anywhere near that amount.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I always try to stick to same type/size, but if you can't it's worth a shot, if it runs it runs. If speeds don't match I think everything just runs at the lowest speed.

When building a system I always try to keep upgradebility in mind so say I only need 8GB of ram, I just buy a single 8GB stick rather than 2 4GB. Though even that can be hit and miss as later down the line you might not be able to get the same 8GB stick model anyway.