Should Intel cancel IvyBridge altogether?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hyrule4927

Feb 9, 2012
How are you going to cancel a product that's already out?

If Intel catered to the one percenters, they wouldn't exist. IB is a better processor than SB for almsot the entire Earth population.

I'm pretty sure the majority of Earth's population couldn't tell an Ivy from a Sandy from a Pentium, particularly those who don't have electricity :p

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I'm pretty sure the majority of Earth's population couldn't tell an Ivy from a Sandy from a Pentium, particularly those who don't have electricity :p

Being able to tell is irrelevant to the fact that it would be a better chip for them. There are countless things people are oblivious to, that doesn't mean there isn't anything going on.

Last edited:

anikhtos

May 1, 2011
boohooooooooooooo they locked my threadddddddddddddddd
boohooooooooooooooo
another uselled ivy thread is dead
lets keep a moment of silent

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
People want too much.

That being said, I dont think IB will sell as well as SB as there really no incentive for SB owners to upgrade.

anikhtos

May 1, 2011
People want too much.

That being said, I dont think IB will sell as well as SB as there really no incentive for SB owners to upgrade.
well franklly every new generation is not aiming for the people of the previous generation but for people 4+ generations back
okey lots in this forum went to buy ivy
but if intel or amd was aiming at you then they would be out of business decades ago
the cruel reality is
a)people buy new machines cause the old one has failed
b)people buy new machines because they can not run something new

and that does not include running bf3 or what ever game at low resolution at 20fps with all turned down
many people will still run the game and still will be satisfied with that
only when they could not actually run the game they will consider

well as for me if i had the money i would go from one build to another but that is me
but for the record i kept my pII233 for 6 years
simply the games i played it played it well evven the news ones
so did not feel the urge to upgrade

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
Should they just cancel IB and sell SB chips while they refine 22nm and get Haswell right?

I mean, what's the point of it when people can't get it to 5 GHZ without generating a ton of heat?

I mean, what's the point of it when people can't get it to 5 GHZ without generating a ton of heat?

can't get it to 5 GHZ without generating a ton of heat?

GHZ without generating a ton of heat?

generating a ton of heat

ton of heat

heat

x5k7B.jpg

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
This is the best thread ever. It's got everything: the arrogance of an "ethusiast" who can't understand why Intel doesn't cater to his every whim, philosophies on life, technology, and the universe, jokes, ban warnings, et cetera.

10/10 would see again

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
I need to apologize to the OP. I thought this thread was meant as a joke. However, I have realized the Truth now. I installed my 3770k yesterday. My internet speeds are no faster than with a phenom x4.

Ivy Bridge is intel's Prescott.

MPiland

Apr 9, 2012
This is the best thread ever. It's got everything: the arrogance of an "ethusiast" who can't understand why Intel doesn't cater to his every whim, philosophies on life, technology, and the universe, jokes, ban warnings, et cetera.

10/10 would see again

LOL this is probably my favorite comment so far

anikhtos

May 1, 2011
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=33382058&postcount=19

reply here cause the thread i made was closed as trolling
lol as if people got 5873125974839 msg in this forum and never ever
trolled

first of all if the little heat was stuck in the chip dear ferzep then the chip was going to melt
the only reason you have a stable temp is because the amount of heat generated is the same as the amount of heat dissipated
so when ivy reaches 80 it means that both 4892574857 what ever watt is consumes i do not care if it consumes 1 watt it gets dissipatged
if it did not then the temp would rise
if the heatsink can disipate more heat then it will cool the chip

the fact remains
ivy is running hotter
design flaw???
the use of cheaper materials tim instead of solder??
maybe the die space is smaller but that is also the watt consumption of the chip
i imagine the use of tim made the big diferense to the high temp of the ivy versus sandy.

MPiland

Apr 9, 2012
No, it's already been stated even by Intel that the higher temps is due to the new 3D transistors and less of a space to dissipate the heat. As a metaphore, take a flame. Put it in a big glass jar. Measure the temps. Take same flame and put it in a smaller jar. Measure the temps. They will be higher because less area to release the same amount of heat. Now, keep the smaller jar, put a smaller flame but more of them.Again, higher temps, but each flame is producing less heat.

Last edited:

anikhtos

May 1, 2011
No, it's already been stated even by Intel that the higher temps is due to the new 3D transistors and less of a space to dissipate the heat. It's like take a flame. Put it in a big glass jar. Measure the temps. Take same flame and put it in a smaller jar. Measure the temps. They will be hotter because less area to release the heat. Now, keep the smaller jar, put a smaller flame but more of them again. Higher temps, but each flame is producing less heat.
95 watt
77 watt
where is exacly the same flame??

sandy die size 216mm2 95 watt 0,44watt/mm2
ivy die size 160mm2 77 watt 0,48watt/mm2

we have an increase of 9% at power density

temps have go up how much ???
from 60 to 80+??? that 33%
power density is not to be blamed for the hight temps alone

Last edited:

anikhtos

May 1, 2011
When I tell you to stop thread crapping, I mean it. This is a technical forum, so we expect you to seriously participate and leave the antics at home.
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I need to apologize to the OP. I thought this thread was meant as a joke. However, I have realized the Truth now. I installed my 3770k yesterday. My internet speeds are no faster than with a phenom x4.

Ivy Bridge is intel's Prescott.

Prescott was intels Prescott

GlacierFreeze

Golden Member
May 23, 2005
well franklly every new generation is not aiming for the people of the previous generation but for people 4+ generations back

Exactly. I find it hilarious how much people spend (ie: waste) on upgrading to the very next processor (or other part) for only a 5-10% gain in which they won't even notice without running some useless benchmark utility. IVB not aimed, nor intended for, at SB owners. SB owners simply do. not. need. it.

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Exactly. I find it hilarious how much people spend (ie: waste) on upgrading to the very next processor (or other part) for only a 5-10% gain in which they won't even notice without running some useless benchmark utility. IVB not aimed, nor intended for, at SB owners. SB owners simply do. not. need. it.

Nor does it really offer a compelling upgrade for nehalem (though I bought one anyway).

MPiland

Apr 9, 2012
95 watt
77 watt
where is exacly the same flame??

sandy die size 216mm2 95 watt 0,44watt/mm2
ivy die size 160mm2 77 watt 0,48watt/mm2

we have an increase of 9% at power density

temps have go up how much ???
from 60 to 80+??? that 33%
power density is not to be blamed for the hight temps alone

I know. No one said it is. We have 3D transistors...does that not add into the equation? There is now more current moving in a smaller area. How does that not make sense to people? So now, even though it's producing less heat overall, the heat has less space to move and therefore adds up on itself increasing the temps. Is this not basic high school physics?

anikhtos

May 1, 2011
I know. No one said it is. We have 3D transistors...does that not add into the equation? There is now more current moving in a smaller area. How does that not make sense to people? So now, even though it's producing less heat overall, the heat has less space to move and therefore adds up on itself increasing the temps. Is this not basic high school physics?
yes that is 9% diferense the temp are way off

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Nor does it really offer a compelling upgrade for nehalem (though I bought one anyway).

I did the same, and am selling my old parts off at a price good enough to easily cover most of my IB costs. Also, Quicksync 2, Lucid stuff to play with, CPU runs cooler/less power....proper SATA 6G (yes!)

So to the original poster questioning why people upgrade...there are some great reasons.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I did the same, and am selling my old parts off at a price good enough to easily cover most of my IB costs. Also, Quicksync 2, Lucid stuff to play with, CPU runs cooler/less power....proper SATA 6G (yes!)

So to the original poster questioning why people upgrade...there are some great reasons.

My purchase was motivated more by my extreme dislike of my x58 motherboard once I went SLI (no gap between the cards). If it weren't for that, I'd not have done it.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
My purchase was motivated more by my extreme dislike of my x58 motherboard once I went SLI (no gap between the cards). If it weren't for that, I'd not have done it.

Shoulda done water cooling :sneaky:

One of my main reasons was proper sata 6G.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I'm giving SRT a try. If it doesn't work out, I guess I'll just install the OS to the SSD instead, though the one I bought will be very cramped for that.