Should Intel cancel IvyBridge altogether?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
Lets see, Intel has a part that performs better and consumes less power, 95%+ of the chips they sell cannot be overclocked, so they should just scrap it all because a few thousand enthusiasts can't beat their Sandy Bridge overclocks.

OP you should run Intel, AMD would catch up in no time....lol

Hatisherrif

May 10, 2009
Sandy roxor generates less haet and is overal a beter cpu imfo. Ivy fail, more like faivyl. Haha sounds so dubm hahaha

Last edited:

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Should they just cancel IB and sell SB chips while they refine 22nm and get Haswell right?

given the small market overall aimed at overclockers and how the chip performs currently, I would think if intel was going to do that, they would just stop selling "K" chips and leave the rest alone.

Then given the size of the market that wants to overclock, force them onto SB-E or IB-E instead as remaking IvyBridge just to allow overclocking is not going to happen.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Should they just cancel IB and sell SB chips while they refine 22nm and get Haswell right?

I mean, what's the point of it when people can't get it to 5 GHZ without generating a ton of heat?

Yes they should, Ivy Bridge sucks.

Anyone else disappointed in Ivy Bridge?

Is anyone else here disappointed in the thermals that Ivy's putting out? I'm outraged that Intel is making us go Extreme Watercooling to get temperatures equal to Sandy Bridge on 5Ghz overclocks. This extreme heat is totally uncharacteristic of Intel for the last 5 or 6 years. Understandably, Ivy Bridge (3770K & 3570K products) represent the latest & greatest new technology which overclockers are going to snatch up quickly, but there is no REAL performance benefit compared to overclocked Sandy Bridge chips. Remember the last 4 years? Remember how much faster an overclocked i7-920 was compared to a OC Q9450? How about the difference you got with an overclocked i7-2600K compared to a OC i7-920? Now a maxed out 3770K = a maxed out 2600K? You've got to be kidding me! Give me a freaking break. Intel should have shelved this until thermals, tri-gate, TIM, finfet was under control. But congrats, water cooling is now worth it for a change.

Who wants to hear bad news about the latest tech, especially with the always disappointing BD lurching out there? Ivy's strong point from a raw performance perspective is LN2, Chilled water, tec, dice, and the new multiplier. Perhaps Intel's saving the Iridium for SBE, just to keep future thermals in line with the rest of the current 3rd gen Core uArch. Those of you here with 3770K, what victory shall you claim over a 2700K, carry on...

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011

I mean, what's the point of it when people can't get it to 5 GHZ without generating a ton of heat?

Intel didn't design Ivy Bridge for huge overclocks. It designed it for low power operation in notebooks and ultrabooks. Be happy Intel appeases us and offer's K models because if they wanted too they could lock every processor and tell us to go screw ourselves or buy amd

Yes they should, Ivy Bridge sucks.

Do you even own it tempered? Then shut up. No one cares what you think. We already know you love to spout off about how terrible IB is.

IntelEnthusiast

Intel Representative
Feb 10, 2011
Thanks I have enjoyed the laugh. We will have 50% more of the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors out on the market in the first 6 months than we did for the 2nd generation Intel Core processors. Simply put Ivy is about equal to Sandy in overclocking but in everything else it really is an improvement.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
LOL

This thread was hilarious.

OP thank you for the laughs even if you were being serious.

anikhtos

May 1, 2011
ivy bridge is a hot smoking cpu
nuclear cpu are here= ivy brigdge
fusion cpus are also here=buldozer

the only problem is too cool those beasts
or if you have a cooling failure then they will go critical and explode
in japan it was a nuclear plant that went melt it was an enginnering ivy brgidge cpu that went critical
damn we enter the nuclear era in cpu manufucturing
imagine when we go to quantum we will need an ocean to cool them down
nuclear-explosion-300x180.png

http://pfpfp.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/nuclear-explosion-300x180.png

ivy bridge loosing cooling or ivy brgidge reaching 5.0 ghz
95129a.jpg

http://www.history.navy.mil/ac/bikini/95129a.jpg
failed watercooling attemp at ivy bridge

the next revision of ivy brigde will have
Neutron poison

in an attempt to make them usable

Last edited:

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I don't think it should be cancelled but I do think they should have gone for a 6 Core 3770K & 8-10 Core IB-E if only to help alleviate the high temps. At least until they come up with a proper fix for the bad temperatures in IVB.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
...and everyone forgets HD4000. Again.

And PCIe3.

Because Intel should give a crap about the <1% of people who OC. Or not...

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
OP, have you heard of the man named Rory Read? Do you know what keeps him awake at night? I'll tell ya. It's not the fact that Ivy Bridge can clock to 4.7, 4.8GHZ on air, but rather the fact that it beats the most powerful mainstream processor on the planet, the Core i7 2700K, IN EVERYTHING and at a measly 77 watts! Do you have any idea what psychological trauma that could inflict on one's competitors; to shed 20% power while lifting even heavier weight?

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
OP, have you heard of the man named Rory Read? Do you know what keeps him awake at night? I'll tell ya.

... this means you've been with Mr. Read ...

This thread may need relocated to Love & Relationships.