Should i wait?

Meforce

Dec 1, 2012
Hello im in need of another gpu and was wondering if anyone thinks i should wait for a e.g 8970 or gtx780?I mean i don't have a clue when they will be released and i can wait a few months before i get desperate.But the real question is do you think there will be a big difference in performance between current and next generation gpus?

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
What is your current system config? If you have a 6970 or 570 or lower then buy a 7950 oc and upgrade to a 8900 when it releases.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I never will understand threads like this. only YOU can decide when you need to upgrade.

Ilias

Apr 1, 2007
Hello there. Personally, im in the same dillema i should say. I have an AMD Radeon 6950 2GB and especially with Far Cry 3, its obvious that im stretching the card to its limits with everything maxed out (im around the 40fps mark or so). If im not mistaken, we usually see new cards during the first quarter of the new year or so. So i dont want to buy an AMD 7950 for example, only to see a new card series announced in the next 4 months.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Do you want to upgrade now? If so, then do it. There is always something better coming down the pipe, so unless new releases are imminent (and they aren't) then if you feel the need to upgrade, then upgrade.

Enku

Nov 28, 2012
wait a couple months as prices on existing cards will drop and new gen will probably be released and tested/reviewed, you can make a better decision then.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Some people have tossed around the idea of a 15% increase in performance.

Is that worth it to you, to wait and pay more for another 15%?

Maybe make a list of your games, and see which games would suddenly be much more pleasurable if the GPU performance increased by 15%. Would that make one of your games go from unplayable to playable? Then wait.

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012
I work in IT and when people ask me if they need an upgrade I always tell them the same thing. "Why are you asking me?".

The best advice I can give is to assess your needs and expectations. Only you can determine the criteria by which you measure this "acceptability". If you are compromising too much on graphical settings and you can't live with those compromises then it's time to upgrade.

What is your current GPU?

Constantly waiting for the next gen cards to release can leave you with a worthless GPU that is not worth selling. There comes a point where current gen cards reach such a good price/perf ratio that it would be a false economy to wait any longer. For example, as the price of a current gen card drops so does the resale value of your current card.

Last edited:

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012
wait a couple months as prices on existing cards will drop and new gen will probably be released and tested/reviewed, you can make a better decision then.

There are far to many unknown variables in your assumption. Next gen is not expected before may or June next year. By then his GPU (whatever it is) may be almost worthless and any potential savings he waited for will be negated.

Last edited:

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
As others said. If you have decent GPU and you can play new games with lowered AA settings, than I would wait for next gen.
But if you are sitting on old brick that cant run anything on acceptable settings with playable FPS, and you have spare $$ then go ahead! There will be whole long winter for you to let new GPU pay for itself!

I finally registered here. It is my 1st post. Hello everyone!

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
When is the AMD HD 8970 due out? Are there any rough dates or times when it is due out next year?

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
7950 and 7970 will still be relevant when the 89xx series comes out. 89xx series should be out March or April I believe. I may just skip the next gen.

Meforce

Dec 1, 2012
Im not actually upgrading i built my system about a month ago and waited until i had more money so i have already sold my old gpu

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
Tempting to either get a 6gb 7970 or wait for a 6gb 8970. I am planning on using opencl apps and using the card for a number of years.