Should I wait for the gtx 8**?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Should I wait for the newer GPU?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kippa

Dec 12, 2011
Are there any rough specs what the GTX Titan II are, or possibly could be compared to the Titan 1? What performance increase would there be between the two? This is the first time I have heard of the Titan II.

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
The most anticipated PC games that could be worth upgrading for are coming out starting mid-October, with more demanding ones in November:

Borderlands Prequel - October 14
Evolve - October 21
Evil Within - October 21
AC Unity - October 28
GTA V - November 7
Dragon Age Inquisition - November 18
Far Cry 4 - November 18

I don't see the point of upgrading until October 14. By that time we should have a better idea about release date and specs of 880.

Right now is a pretty bad time to purchase an NV card - 780/780Ti prices are too high and it's not wise to spend $600+ when 880 is rumored to launch in October/November. Also it's summer time, perfect to do outdoor sports, hit a lake, go traveling in August. As far as new PC games coming out, August and September are 'dead months' this year.

Last edited:

Sam60I

Jul 9, 2014
Thanks a lot for your help. Also do you guys know if AMD is going to release a new generation of graphic card to counter NV's gtx 8**

The most anticipated PC games that could be worth upgrading for are coming out starting mid-October, with more demanding ones in November:

Borderlands Prequel - October 14
Evolve - October 21
Evil Within - October 21
AC Unity - October 28
GTA V - November 7
Dragon Age Inquisition - November 18
Far Cry 4 - November 18

I don't see the point of upgrading until October 14. By that time we should have a better idea about release date and specs of 880.

Right now is a pretty bad time to purchase an NV card - 780/780Ti prices are too high and it's not wise to spend $600+ when 880 is rumored to launch in October/November. Also it's summer time, perfect to do outdoor sports, hit a lake, go traveling in August. As far as new PC games coming out, August and September are 'dead months' this year.

I wouldn't see the point in upgrading too now if I had a decent graphic card lol. But my problem here is that the graphic card I could use is around 3 years old. I don't remember what it was but I think it was around 200$ when i bought it and it's an AMD. Any idea of what it could be? And there's lot of game I didn't had the chance to try because my old computer don't work.

Maxwell made an insane amount of difference in battery life on my Clevo w230ss.

I'm talking about a desktop here and if i remember well, the gtx 8**M are just rebranded gtx 7**m nah?

sgrinavi

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2007
I'm hanging out and waiting for the 9xx myself.

Seems like they're always something better around the corner - Unless there's some sort of announcement from a manufacturer I wouldn't wait.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
The other option is buy an evga card then if something faster comes out you can use the step up program.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
The other option is buy an evga card then if something faster comes out you can use the step up program.

The only downside to this is a significant wait time at launch. It's a great perk and you can reserve a spot if you're within 90 days of purchase of your card, but I've never bought EVGA just because of it (step up). I do like EVGA a lot, because their CS is unparalleled. I've never found a company better than them in that respect or even remotely close. So that's usually why I buy, not because of step up. Although lately i've been more impressed by aftermarket cards by asus and others....the ACX is a good cooler but not the best for aftermarket (IMO). Anyway, step up is pretty limited.

Going back I remember the 680 had a tremendous wait time for those who opted for step up using the method you described. You can "reserve" you spot in line if you had purchased the prior card within 90 days from the reservation, but still, it was a pretty long wait.

I guess, if I were dead set on getting 800 series i'd just get that and not use step up. But it depends on how much one doesn't mind or minds waiting. If it's 30% faster than the 780ti and 500$ , there will be huge lines of people waiting for step up via reservation. We'll see I suppose.

Last edited:

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I would wait for amd and nvidia to both release cards and let the price wars commence before buying anything if I was you.

Could be some very nice price/performance options coming up.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Far Cry 4 should be pretty well optimized. Bioware games generally aren't that well optimized though; I remember Dragon Age 2 was very laggy at release even if you SLI/Crossfired GTX 580s or 6970s, particularly with static lighting scenes, fire sources would drag framerate down to single digits. So Dragon Age Inquisition should give a GTX 880 a hell of a run for its money.

I'm betting it'll take at least two 880s just to max 1080p at 60fps.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I never wait, just look to see what's best in the target price range, and pull the trigger. Life's too short to wait for things like PC hardware. It's all obsolete once it hits the channel anyway.

Sam60I

Jul 9, 2014
Guys, I just looked inside my old computer, and my graphic card a way more old than what I was thinking. It's an hd 6850 lol. Can it run newer games at 1080p?

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
It should be able to run medium with most games. Its not a bad card, its still like three times faster than the fastest integrated graphics lol. But its a lot slower than a xbox one or ps4 gpu.

A gtx 860 would be a good inexpensive upgrade for you in October, if you can spare $299 price it will probably command at msrp.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
We are very late into this gen its absolutely poor value to spend a lot on top cards that will be obsolete very soon.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
We are very late into this gen its absolutely poor value to spend a lot on top cards that will be obsolete very soon.

People have been saying this for a long time now. Hopefully it's time has come. Being stuck on 28nm though you can't be too certain.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Guys, I just looked inside my old computer, and my graphic card a way more old than what I was thinking. It's an hd 6850 lol. Can it run newer games at 1080p?

If you have to ask, you are not gaming. If you are not gaming, what's the point of wasting money on a new GPU? You should upgrade when you load some game you were looking forward to and you find that the performance vs. IQ settings is no longer satisfactory to your needs. For example, some people have to run everything on Very High with AA at native monitor resolution at 60 fps. Others can play at lower resolution, medium settings and 30 fps. Only you can decide what you require and what games you actually intend to play.

wasabiman123

May 28, 2013
I have a 670, and while the 880 would give me a very big boost (especially at 120hz), I'm trying very hard to wait until 16nm Finfet to spend a dime on graphics cards...
There's no way it won't be a huge jump from 28nm, right? xD

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
As others have said, it makes no sense to upgrade for games coming out in the fall when the maxwell cards are coming out the same time! Just wait another 2 months.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I would wait if you plan on dropping $1000+ on the GTX Titan II which looks like a real beast.

Is the Titan II going to sport features not available on 880? Like DirectX 11.5? If not i'd simply get the 880 or 780 and go SLI if throughput is an issue. Problary cheaper too.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Is the Titan II going to sport features not available on 880? Like DirectX 11.5? If not i'd simply get the 880 or 780 and go SLI if throughput is an issue. Problary cheaper too.

If there's a Titan 2, if that happens there's no reason to think it will be a pure gaming part just like prior Titans. The annoying thing is that NV always has mixed messages about their products since they're so accustomed to being the "gamers" company, which led to Titan Z being marketed partially toward gaming. Which obviously isn't the prime reason to get a Titan Z given the steep price tag.

I'd have to imagine that a theoretical Titan 2 would not be dissimilar to prior Titans: The difference if Titan 2 happens will be that it's too expensive for gaming (probably) and will have fully unlocked DP making it a desirable budget card for professional CUDA developers. Or looking at it another way, a budget Tesla card. Put in perspective, the Titan Z performs CUDA/DP 53x faster than 780ti SLI. So that's the differentiation. But like I said, NV has been stupid with their mixed messaging on the Titan, hopefully they won't do that again (if a Titan 2 does happen).

Basically if you're a gamer, you'll want to stick with the 800 series and not a Titan. Unless you just don't get a flip about prices. Or you're a part time CUDA developer and need to render stuff from work at home or something along those lines.

Biggu

Jan 3, 2014
I have the GTX680 now and I plan to upgrade to the 880 or Titan II, I will also be getting a Asus ROG swift PG278Q so I plan to need a GPU that can drive 2550x1440P at 144hz

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I have the GTX680 now and I plan to upgrade to the 880 or Titan II, I will also be getting a Asus ROG swift PG278Q so I plan to need a GPU that can drive 2550x1440P at 144hz

If were talking triple A titles here at high settings, your should be budgeting for two cards to achieve that framerate @ 1440p.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I wonder if the GTX 880 will have anything like the staying power of the 8800 GTX?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I wonder if the GTX 880 will have anything like the staying power of the 8800 GTX?

As interesting as that would be, the 880 would have be like twice as fast as anything out there right now to be considered something like the 8800. Kinda doubt it. More than likely it'll be a great jump over the 780ti (just my theory) but it won't parallel the 8800. We'll probably need 16nm FINFET for an amazing jump akin to 8800.

Wild Thing

Apr 9, 2014
From this point on I suspect it will be the elegance of the architecture rather than process technology that will deliver the gains we saw with 8800GTX.