Should I wait for Prescott?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Should I wait until 2003 for the new Prescott core? or should I upgrade my brand new (built the computer about a month ago) 2.0A with a 100 MHz FSB (Quad-Pumped) to one of the newer processors with a 133 MHz FSB (Quad-Pumped)?

My Specs-
Intel P4 2.0A
Intel D850MVL
Visiontek GeForce4 Ti4600
Western Digital 100 GB HDD
Creative Ovation 16x DVD-Rom
TDK VeloCD 32x/10x/40x CD-RW
Antec SX1030 case with 300W PSU

Fingers

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
Funny question, upgrade insanely early or wait for quite a while in comparison to the former. Unless you are extremely addicted to stats in a distributed computing program I don't see why you wouldn't already be happy with your current setup. Many people in these Forums would love to have your setup. In other words wait until you feel your programs running much slower than you can stand. At the minimum at least wait until the hammer series of chips is released by AMD to see what benefits you may have this early in the game for an x86-64 upgrade.

BTW if your system does feel slow, feel free to send it to me for testing ;)

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
wow......thats one good setup.......if you really feel to upgrade your system, you probably need a supercomputer then.....PCs wont satisfy your need.......i dont see any need to upgrade your current system for atleast another 1-2 years.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I say the only potentially worthwhile upgrade us to sell the intel Mobo buy a mobo with OC'ing features and try to get your setup up to 133 MHz FSB :D That should be a relatively cheap upgrade since your current mobo still retains a good portion of its value.

2660 MHz, that may be difficult to achieve sounds like a fun project in the making ;) :D

Otherwise, stick with what you have it's plenty fast. My other suggestion applies only if you like tinkering with your comp

-Ice

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Thanks for all of your help. I intentionally got the Intel mobo because i wasn;t going to OC. I got intel because i heard that they are the most stable for non-OCer's.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
You should touch dead people and bring them back to life.

That'd be awesome! I could use some extra $ anyway, and if they didn't quite work right when brought back, we could maybe use them for zombie paintball?

Status
Not open for further replies.