Question Should I use diamond paste or not.

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
Will antec formula 7nano diamond paste scratch a polished copper wb much with a new 9900k.
I have a good buffing wheel I can use for repolishing if needed.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
yes it will.
I stopped using diamond dust paste, because it leaves a gray spot thats near impossible to remove.
The net gain is not significantly worth it in my book to merit that much work required to refinish the surface.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@john3850

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-8.html

Antec Formula 7 apparently doesn't perform that well. If you must use a diamond paste, try IC Diamond 24. Though Kryonaut outperforms it, and GC Extreme is close enough that you can use it as well. There's really no reason to use the diamond pastes at this point unless you just love working with them.

As an aside, Kryonaut comes with its own potential issues (it likes to dry out if exposed to temps higher than 80C). Should be fine for a lot of water cooling applications though. Your temps should not be getting that high unless you're going crazy with the volts. When in doubt just use GC Extreme or even MX-4.

Feb 4, 2009
@john3850

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-8.html

Antec Formula 7 apparently doesn't perform that well. If you must use a diamond paste, try IC Diamond 24. Though Kryonaut outperforms it, and GC Extreme is close enough that you can use it as well. There's really no reason to use the diamond pastes at this point unless you just love working with them.

As an aside, Kryonaut comes with its own potential issues (it likes to dry out if exposed to temps higher than 80C). Should be fine for a lot of water cooling applications though. Your temps should not be getting that high unless you're going crazy with the volts. When in doubt just use GC Extreme or even MX-4.

Haha I remember reading that chart. Toothpaste & denture gel did surprisingly well

Reactions: john3850

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
The Antec Formula 7 is all I had so I used it on a new system which is up at 5 GHz on all cores at with 1.34 volts in IBT or the same volts and temp as my 3770k .
The 9900k gets more then double the score in IBT.
thanks for the advice

Last edited: