Should I upgrade?

pellesque

Dec 23, 2013
Hello!

I have not quiet as good machine anymore i5 650, gtx 460 1Gb, 4GB ram,...so I started thinking of upgrading. I wanted to do it in august this year, but I didnt get enough money to build computer with selected components, so I said Ill do it next year. But now I bought Bf4 and it freezes a lot and I can barley run it on medium settings(BF3 was easily on high or even ultra). So I thought of upgrading it on gtx 770, but I'm not sure about it. Since there is a lot of talk about 4k screens becoming standard and more gpu hungry games, I don't know if this is future proof enough (only 2GB ram, 256bit bus, old core). I probably wouldent wont to change GPU for next 1 year at least(probably gonna game on 1440 or 1080p, or be modeling 3d models or rendering whatever comes by,...). So will this gpu be poweful enough to run most demanding games on 1080p maxed out for next 1,5 year? Or should I let it go and buy gpu(maxwell) together with CPU(broadwell) and rest of my build in august 2014?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Find a used socket 1156 quad-core for cheap before you touch the card. Also double the RAM.

4k is not going to be in a price range for the "masses" soon enough for you to worry about it.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Find a used socket 1156 quad-core for cheap before you touch the card. Also double the RAM.

4k is not going to be in a price range for the "masses" soon enough for you to worry about it.

Yep.

If ya stay with current socket 1156 platform I'd recommend,
$100-$150 for CPU: i5 760
$180 for GPU: 270 non x
$40-$50 for 4GB more RAM

This will be a massive upgrade for current games for < $400. To get a good improvement in gaming you will need CPU and GPU upgrade not one or the other. Ram too, but that's a gimmie at ~$40. You can sub the 770 in for the 270 if budget is good. The 770 will let ya crank more details.

If you plan on upgrading soon i'd store the money till you do. Don't buy 770 now, buy it (or newer) whenever you put together a new rig.

Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Its also worth noting that BF4 is buggy as hell right now, and will (hopefully) get a little more steam lined. It seems to perform better in Windows 8.1 due to the CPU core parking working better there, if you can stomach the half broken turd of an OS. :/

Just curious . . . how do you define the price range for the masses?

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
Its also worth noting that BF4 is buggy as hell right now, and will (hopefully) get a little more steam lined. It seems to perform better in Windows 8.1 due to the CPU core parking working better there, if you can stomach the half broken turd of an OS. :/

For me, some servers are buggier than others. I use both win 7 pro and win 8.1 pro. I have found that some servers are specifically less buggy than others (no random crashes, disconnects, etc) while others are unbearable (client disconnects, server crashes, etc)... Not sure if it's just me though since all the servers I have tried do have decent traffic.

I'd say double up on RAM before you touch anything else. Next would be getting rid of the dual core CPU and upgrading to a quad core. And lastly, upgrading the GPU. It would be pointless to upgrade the GPU without CPU and RAM first, since that CPU is definitely the biggest bottleneck in BF4 and 4GB of RAM is simply insufficient nowadays unless you like running without any background apps, services, and just about everything else you can think of.

Last edited: