• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Should I upgrade SATA Samsung 860 EVO to NVME drive?

nwrigley

Jun 19, 2005
Currently have a SSD over SATA as my OS/programs drive. From what I've seen looking at benchmarks, it doesn't look like I would see too much of an increase upgrading to a faster NVME drive in real-world scenarios. I'm curious what other people's experiences are making the jump from SATA to NVME.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
I did not see much difference from SATA SSD to nVME SSD. Loading times seem faster but then again this is a different machine.

UsandThem

Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
It makes really no sense for someone building a PC to go with a SATA SSD over a NVMe drive, since the price is so similar anymore.

That said, the "real world" speed difference using a NVME drive over a SATA SSD as a regular system/program drive is pretty much not noticeable.

nwrigley

Jun 19, 2005
It makes really no sense for someone building a PC to go with a SATA SSD over a NVMe drive, since the price is so similar anymore.

That said, the "real world" speed difference using a NVME drive over a SATA SSD as a regular system/program drive is pretty much not noticeable.
Definitely agree. When I built my PC 1.5 years ago, there was still a price premium on NVME drives and I cared more about capacity.

charlietee

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2001
I just bought a 512GB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 drive for $74.99 delivered. If your system will support it, seems like a logical choice to move to the newer technology.

ASK THE COMMUNITY