Should I upgrade my E6400

Robt2009

Jan 21, 2009
I am currently in the process of potentially upgrading my current computer case to a new one (Antec 900 etc..). When I do this I will have the opportunity to upgrade and make changes to my mobo and configuration and my processor is one piece that i am having trouble deciding on.

To start off I am primarily a gamer. Currently I have an E6400 in a P5Q mobo running at around 3.2ghz OC'd with an aftermarket cooler and a 8800gts N512 video card. My gaming is random but I primarily have been playing RTS's and WOW lately with the occasional Crysis thrown in. I am also a big console gamer so the only games I do play are really PC focused or RTS ( I hate RTS on a console) with the next big games for me probably being starcraft 2 and diablo 3.

I prefer to not have to crack open the case to redo a CPU in the near future, but could see doing it in a year if I didn't upgrade this time around.

Thoughts?

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
If you're happy with the performance with your current system, stick with what you have. SCII and Diablo 3 will run very well with your current rig. You'll probably see better gains by upgrading your GPU at later date.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Are any of those upcoming games using an engine that will take advantage of quad core power.....

You could sell that E6400 for a decent penny still (sell on ebay...those guys are idiots) and for little coin up it to Q6600 or Q9300......

I think this would be cheaper then the gpu route only because you will get to recoup some cost with the sell of the old cpu....

8800GTS isn't too far out of the mix yet....you could sell that and get a 9xxxx series card, but I dont know if resale valu on the vid cards are as good as the cpus....then it could be neglible on the increase...

AsusGuy

Dec 9, 2004
I think you will be happy with that CPU at 3.2Ghz for the next year or more. No need to worry about upgrades at this point. Yes Quad core CPUs are cheap but not needed at this point. Save your money for an upgrade down the road.