Should I Update To IOS 6 ?

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by Durvelle27, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Durvelle27

Durvelle27 Diamond Member

I have a Verizon iPhone 4 32GB & 16GB and i'm wondering if i should update them to IOS 6 both are on IOS 5.1.1 ?

2. Syrome

Syrome Member

Stay with 5.1.1 honestly. You get a much better mapping solution compared to the Apple Maps garbage plus less issues.

3. Durvelle27

ok thx

4. Printer Bandit

i don't get the hate for maps in iOS 6.

when using turn by turn directions in 3D, it's simply gorgeous. i'm so mesmerized by it, i have a hard time paying attention to the road.

5. Syrome

Syrome Member

Clearly you haven't used it enough because when you start getting directions in the wrong direction or end up at the wrong place, you'll understand. Not to mention all of the Satellite images are distorted and mapped wrong. There is a reason why Apple just parted ways with Scott Forstall, and I bet it has ALOT to do with iOS 6.

6. power_hour

power_hour Senior member

Wait for their next update. Too much wrong to list. No benefit that I can see at the moment.

7. vi edit

vi edit Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

I don't think the 4 (only the 4s and 5) get the turn by turn options. 4 does not get panorama mode either. All it gets is a more bogged down experience and a clunkier mapping product.

Pass.

8. aaksheytalwar

aaksheytalwar Diamond Member

Might be a bit slow on a regular iPhone 4

9. Subyman

Subyman Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
    Super Moderator

I have iOS6 on the standard iPhone 4 and it isn't as snappy as 5. I wouldn't say it is slow though. I'd say stay with what you have unless there are features that you need or apps that require iOS6 that you want to use.

10. Syrome

Syrome Member

People seem to be following my advice for not upgrading. Trust me and wait until either the next update or iOS 7. With the putting of Scott Forstall, the software will be much better,

11. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

Yeah, I wouldn't upgrade. At least not until Google pushing a proper maps app out there. There's not anything really exciting in iOS6 to justify the headaches. If you want turn by turn, there are plenty of alternative apps out there. IIRC, iOS6 also doesn't have a proper jailbreak for it yet.

I've noticed that a lot of popular apps are beginning to require iOS 6 though. Including Cut the Rope and Filmic Pro. Which bothers me to no end. Any app that requires it for no obvious reason, given the unpopularity of iOS6, gets an immediate 1 star.

12. BlueWeasel

BlueWeasel Lifer

I'm perfectly happy with 5.1.1 on my 4s.

However, the update to iOS6 somehow downloaded to my phone and is now taking ~2GB of space. It shows up as "Other" space when connected to iTunes.

Is there anyway to remove the update and regain the space? I can't figure out how.

13. pub1279

pub1279 Junior Member

i have a iphone 4 - my advice is to stick with 5, my battery is struggling again (much like it did with the first release of ios5)

#13 pub1279, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  14. Durvelle27

there are a few apps i wanted that require IOS 6 but no gonna upgrade so i'm still on IOS 5.1.1 JB

15. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

For me, iOS 6 is far more accurate than Google. It has less data, but the data it does have is more accurate in my personal experience. The only valid complaint I see is that it doesn't have public transportation instructions. Not a problem for me because I'm not in a metropolitan area. Every other complaint I've seen applies triple to Google maps.

16. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

If you don't care about jailbreak, I think you should install it. Navigation is MUCH better than anything else I've tried.

17. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

With jailbreak (currently tethered in iOS 6), you can have native panorama and navigation on iPhone 4.

18. Zxian

Zxian Senior member

I haven't had any mission critical needs for maps data where the iOS6 maps has sent me to the wrong location (and I'm in Canada).

Facebook integration, Do Not Disturb (omg, best thing), and other small improvements convinced me to upgrade. IMO, the only reason not to is if you believe that Maps will send you in the wrong direction (which I feel will only improve over time) or if you need public transit information in Maps.

My phone is the iPhone4, FWIW.

19. KeithP

KeithP Diamond Member

I just upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 6 and I am surprised it seems very snappy. I haven't used it a lot yet but so far, so good.

-KeithP

20. lotust

lotust Diamond Member

im waiting for 6.1 and a JB. no rush over here. I have learned over the years latest is not always the best. :)

21. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

I don't even think that's a valid reason since you have full access to Google Maps through the mobile site. It works like an app and even has an app icon when you save it to your home screen.

22. ControlD

ControlD Diamond Member

Same here. I'm sure there are some nice improvements in iOS6, but no matter what was added it will still pale in comparison to any version that is jailbroken.

23. TuxDave

TuxDave Lifer

The distortion is caused when you apply the satellite textures on top of the 3D terrain. Otherwise it's fine. My case is a little different since the 4 does not have Siri but upgrading to iOS6 was a must for me. Having built in navigation linked to Siri is really great.

24. Syrome

Syrome Member

Well since you were so behind in updates, it was well worth it in your case. Otherwise, people on 5.1.1 should stay away. However, since 6.0.1 came out, were all set. They fixed most of the issues.