Should I uninstall drivers when upgrading from GTX 670 to GTX 970?

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
Hey all, noob question maybe, but i'm upgrading my GTX 670 to GTX 970, do i need to uninstall the nvidia drivers or just take out the card and put in the new nvidia card? They're both gonna be using the same drivers, but what's best? Running win 8.1. Thanks in advance!

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I would reinstall the drivers and select the clean installation option. This is a different GPU with different architecture and some different features even so to me that just seems to make sense.

Last edited:

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
I would:

• uninstall old drivers from Control Panel
  • run DDU in safe mode (does it automatically when prompted) and then select the "Clean and Shutdown (For installing a new graphic card)"
  • After the shutdown, remove the GTX 670 and install the awsome GTX 970
  • Boot computer
  • Install new drivers

DDU Link

xcoftw.jpg

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
I didn't say my method is needed. But this is what I would do for clean install. The cleanest method is the one I enumerated.

Why do part of the job when you can take 3 extra minutes and do it perfectly with no leftovers. That way you'll be free of mind for sure.

netxzero64

May 16, 2009
had issues with just simple doing the clean install. I went from GTX 780ti to my current setup. had to uninstall everything and do a driversweeper then installed drivers again then vola! its Magic XD

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
I didn't say my method is needed. But this is what I would do for clean install. The cleanest method is the one I enumerated.

Why do part of the job when you can take 3 extra minutes and do it perfectly with no leftovers. That way you'll be free of mind for sure.

true. Ill be safe & do a clean install. Thanks for info. Is DDU 3rd party software?

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
true. Ill be safe & do a clean install. Thanks for info. Is DDU 3rd party software?

Yes it is, but it is the best one available, they constantly update the application.

AMD Catalyst (Omega) 14.12 WHQL released on the 9th and DDU released the updated version the same day.