Should I take the Sammy 226BW I bought tonight back?

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Bought the monitor tonight at Circuit City. BB here doesn't have 22" Sammy's.

They came down to 309+tax. 330.91 total.

Tiger Direct has them for 319-40 MIR. So basically, it's a 30 dollar savings after getting the rebate back, BUT, I'd have to deal with Tiger Direct, and their crappy (in my experience) return policies, plus a MIR.

Any opinions? My wallet says return it and go to Tiger, but something keeps telling me that I might be better off keeping the one from CC, just in case.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
It's just $30...you want the headache of returning the one you have and waiting for a MIR?

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
How much will gas cost you running to the CC and back?

IMO you are better off with the monitor in hand instead of messing around with TD's notorious rebate system for a measely $30 - gas $.

Also, CC has a pretty good price match program IIRC, just keep an eye out and if you see it cheaper within like 30 days they should refund the difference (including any Black Friday specials).

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Tiger...Uppercut.

Unless you are getting a better monitor in the process I wouldn't even bother. Who is to say you will even get the MIR $?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
Keep the one you have. A $30 rebate would not be worth it to me to go through the hassle of returning that monitor, and going through the rebate hassle.

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007
yeah if the one you have seems good keep it because the 226bws have the whole random panel thing going so it would suck to return it and get a worse quality one for a measily 30 bucks.

dingetje

Nov 12, 2005
yeah, if it has the S panel you're good...if it hasn't... consider waiting for a Lenovo L220X ;)

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Not worth the hassle, and not worth risking getting a new monitor that may have slight defects (less than stellar backlighting, dead pixels, etc.)

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: dingetje
if the display you have now has no zombiefied pixels , keep it
I haven't even taken it out of the box, yet.

CC and TD are are about 10 miles, straight up a highway, so no sweat with the drive.

I don't think there'd be any hassle returning it to CC, since it's unopened.

What I AM a bit concerned about is getting it from TD and having a problem with it later. Don't know about all the TD's, but this one's customer service is a bit lacking, IMO.
CC has been pretty good to me since they've been open. (new store)
Plugging this one in and seeing a problem is a concern, and I feel much better about my exchange/return prospects at CC than at TD.

And the REAL reason I'm considering this: My wife is the coupon/rebate QUEEN, and that potential 30 dollar savings is a big deal to her.

I had heard that TD's rebate system was flaky, but there's probably no way she wouldn't eventually get that money back....still, I'd rather keep this one, but need to convince her. ;)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Personally, I'd try it out and keep it if the monitor is good. You did get a fair price. As mentioned above there is that panel lottery thing to deal with. But thats just what I would do.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Up and running on it now. Haven't seen any problems yet. CC has it in today's ad for 299 after MIR. Might take the receipt back and do that, but it's only ten bucks, so..meh.

This monitor is freaking AWESOME. It's set really bright, though...gotta do some tweaking. Too bad this is a completely brand new rig, and I don't have any games installed yet to see what the look like, but gimme some time............

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Most LCD are set to 100% brightness out of the box from what I hear. The ones I have had did as well. Easy to reset but you really do need some games to get a good idea if you have any ghosting problems. Unless of course you run a test software on it instead.