should I switch majors?

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
right now im in IT - New Media (IT with some art classes in typography, graphic design, flash, etc etc)

im thinking of switching into Photography either advertising or photojournalism.

only thing holding me back is trying to find a job as a photographer, would it be hard? if I do go through with photography I'll be coming out of one of the best photography schools (RIT)

what are your thoughts on being a photographer and making a living as one?

also as an IT - New Media major text

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005
are internships available at your school? what does the dept say about working in that field?

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Landroval
are internships available at your school? what does the dept say about working in that field?

RIT is known as a co-op school but im not sure if photo majors are required to go on co-ops/internships.

I diddnt ask the dept about getting jobs and such. I shall do that soon.

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005
They probably have the best advice for you and know what the job prospects are in your area :)

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: PHiuR
right now im in IT - New Media (IT with some art classes in typography, graphic design, flash, etc etc)

im thinking of switching into Photography either advertising or photojournalism.

only thing holding me back is trying to find a job as a photographer, would it be hard? if I do go through with photography I'll be coming out of one of the best photography schools (RIT)

what are your thoughts on being a photographer and making a living as one?

also as an IT - New Media major text

Keep your IT gig. Work weddings on weekends.... profit.

I know more than one person doing this. Jsut be sure to get a redundant RAID setup if you are doing digital photography. One of those people learned the ahrd way.