Should I sell my Radeon 9700 for an FX when available?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

usas

Dec 10, 2001
Sometimes the ol' SBLive! can cause problems, I would suggest pulling it out, and maybe then it will run better. Some people have been suggesting that for odd problems over at the Rage3d forums. :)

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
It's not really an odd problem.
I had my framerate hosed by audigy 1 in BF1942, i had to turn off music to play the game at 1024x768 max details.
Selling your r9700 and then buy a FX is going to waste a lot of money.
I think you should invest on a new sound card with the money.

Slappy00

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2002

How much did your framerates drop?

I have a SB Audigy 1 too.... this makes me scratch my chin...

Do you have a SiS board too Wai?

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
s there really a chance that I just have a bad configuration?
Yes and I suspect the motherboard.

And it's not the Audigy either - UT2003 slows down with hardware sound on every sound card.

WyteWatt

Banned
Jun 8, 2001
BFG10K well i do know my santa cruz sound card won't play with hardware sound on in unreal 2003 and taking my santa cruz sound card out made some of my games not freeze or my computer not to freeze totally with my mouse totally frozen every 2 to 3 days. And i have a Geforce 4 ti 4400. So its not like its only ati 9700 pro video cards i don't think in my opinion. I think its sound cards not getting along with the video cards. I have a older abit kt7a raid VIA KT133A chipset mobo.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I think that like idNut, your motherboard is likely the cause of your problems.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Slappy00

How much did your framerates drop?

I have a SB Audigy 1 too.... this makes me scratch my chin...

Do you have a SiS board too Wai?

It was below 30fps using 800x600 with medium details.
I was using MSI kt3 Ultra2 kT33 chipset.
Before I always blamed the video card for all the problems,
but right now, I will look for sound card, motherboard, hdd problems before pointing the finger at my r8500.

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
It's too bad you don't have another system to try the card in. Don't you have friends with computers that you can try your card in and see if that changes your mind about the 9700. You stated your system freezes every time, even with your ol Geforce, well I think that says it all. Please don't blame your frustrations at the card, when you don't know the whole story. I know shelling that kind of money is hard for you to take when it doesn't perform as expected, but you need to spend some "time" doing your research and not just your "money".

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
LOL-
You'll sell the 9700 at a loss, pay premium for the FX, and then your SISsie motherboard won't work with that either!
Then you'll post an email to nVidia:

"Dear Sorry Sons of Bit**es:
I hate your f***ing guts. Your FX sux! It runs slow on my cheapie motherboard, couldn't your stupid engineers make it run fast on cheapie motherboards?!?!? You and ATI are Evil!"

Dude, why don't you try an Intel motherboard and see how it works? Works fine for me on my PE board......

WyteWatt

Banned
Jun 8, 2001
BFG10K yeah but i haven't tried flashing my bios to the latest. My bios is not that old because a flashed it only a few months ago. But there is a new bios that may fix my problems on windows 2000. BFG10K by the way the strangest thing is it only on windows 2000 and not windows xp these problems happen but i want to stay on windows 2000.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Definitely not now; looks like FX is gonna have a short shelf-life; hold off for NV35. Yes, you'll have to wrestle with 5 downloads and a cryptic driver installation/uninstallation process in the meantime, but its not worth it at this point IMO.

Chiz