Should I sell my gaming rig for a 2013 IMAC 27?

pimpin-tl

Jan 24, 2010
Should I sell this system for an IMAC 27 loaded model or would this be a big mistake? I really like the new IMAC's. I can probably get around $2k or so for it and I would need to add some more to get it. I play games mostly with this machine, like BF3, Black Ops II, MOH Warfighter. And I had trouble playing them on my 2012 MBP i7, 16gb, 256gb ssd, 650M 512MB card as on low it couldn't do well at all. LAG badly even with 40 fps.

I also need to cut down on space, and heat in this room of the house, so the gaming rig has to go either way. Either I get some other small case and cut down on the heat some how, or go IMAC which I am strongly considering. I do have a Alienware M17xR4 now that I plan to use in the interim till I sell all the parts off the big rig.

Let me know your opinions on this. Here is the specs below of my current setup.

Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
Coolermaster HAF-X Case -
Corsair AX1200 PSU -
EVGA GTX 680 2GB -
Intel i7 2600k -
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Motherboard
Lite-On Blu-Ray Burner with 3D Playback SATA w/Lightscribe -
Lite-On 24x DVD Writer Black SATA -
Corsair XMS3 8GB 2x4GB PC3 16000 Memory (16gb total) -
Kingston HyperX KHX-FAN-B Fans for memory -
Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm Case Fans -
Xigatek FCB Crystal 140mm RED Fan -
Thermaltake AF0027 80mm RED LED fan -
Xigamatek GFCB 120mm Red LED Fan -
CoolerMaster Megafflow 200mm RED LED fans - (Qty 3)
Scythe Kaze Master Pro 5.25 Fan controller -
Samsung 830 256GB SATA III SSD -
640gb WD HD’s - – Qty 3
500gb Seagate HD -
External 500gb WD HD’s x 2
External 2 TB Seagate USB 3.0s x 2

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
The question you're actually asking is whether you should give up your purpose built PC game rig for a pretty, overpriced all-in-one. iMacs are nice, but if you're a gamer it's a big step backward. You have a solid system. Personally I would build a smaller machine using many of the parts you already have or some other derivative.

I guess money isn't a big deal because you're ready to lose money on this. I think 2 grand is optimistic unless the person you're selling it to doesn't know what they are buying. Had you thought about simply relocating the machine? Maybe transfer everything to a rack mount and run extensions for the USB/mouse/keyboard.

If all you're talking about is space and heat, I'd look at other options before committing to the iMac but I can see where you are coming from.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
If you're not gaming, why not? Seems like a waste of money personally, but if you like it, you like it.

Even the top-end $1999 iMac will be meh at best for gaming (i5 3.2Ghz, Mobile Geforce 675 .. this is about identical to 560ti performance). For regular desktop use it should be okay, but perhaps the most expensive way to get that performance.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
I would build an mITX rig with a single, lower powered card (7850 or 660 seem like good choice) and just an SSD--no HDD. I'd also stop overclocking, and step down to a much smaller PSU (they lose a great deal of efficiency at below 20% load). That should be small and cool enough.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Does your home have airflow problems? That's where I'd start. Your system with a single gpu card shouldn't be overheating a whole room during gaming.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC...re-i5#overview

lets see: 1600$ gets you:

27" monitor
i5 Quad @ 3.1ghz
4gb DDR3 1333
1 TB HDD
AMD Radeon 6970M (mobile gpu)

and it comes with OS X! Who cares about DirectX right....

EVGA GTX 680 2GB
Intel i7 2600k
^ gonna be a big downgrade, going from that system to the imac 27.

I also need to cut down on space, and heat in this room of the house, so the gaming rig has to go either way.
Bummer.

I suggest you get:

i3-3320 Ivy Bridge (129$) + AMD 7790 (124$), and a cute little cabinet to put them into.
Much more bang for buck, than buying a mac system.

The performance/watt, from a sytem with a i3-3320 + 7790, is gonna be unbeatable, in most games (id imagine).

Last edited:

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I wouldn't. That's a beast of a rig. An iMac will be a big downgrade. Open a window? Buy an AC unit?

Sounds like you need just a basic rig for surfing and that. For Mac, I'd hit up the refurb section and keep an eye out for deals. MacBook Air or Mac Mini will fit the bill so you don't have to use the big rig all the time. Even an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard for really basic general computing is plenty. Or if you're handy, you can try your hand at building a Hackintosh Mini.

For PC, there's lots of great, inexpensive options in the miniITX market right now. Or a laptop. Dell usually has sales on. Good opportunity to experiment with Linux too if you want to save even more cash.

pimpin-tl

Jan 24, 2010
If you're not gaming, why not? Seems like a waste of money personally, but if you like it, you like it.

Even the top-end $1999 iMac will be meh at best for gaming (i5 3.2Ghz, Mobile Geforce 675 .. this is about identical to 560ti performance). For regular desktop use it should be okay, but perhaps the most expensive way to get that performance.

Top end Imac in 27" comes with the 680mx.

pimpin-tl

Jan 24, 2010
For now to try out I hooked up my new m17xr4 alienware with its 675mx and its running games well and keeping the room way cooler on my external 27" monitor. If I got the imac it would be the 27", i7, 680mx, 3gb fusion, and I would upgrade the ram. Hmmm....is there a small case that can fit what I have in it and run well and with good quality?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Sounds like you have already made up your mind tbh and you just want us to justify it. I say just do whatever makes you happy.

I'm a bit confused though. If you already have a gaming laptop and want to save space, then why not just get a docking station? Do Alienware make them?

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
For now to try out I hooked up my new m17xr4 alienware with its 675mx and its running games well and keeping the room way cooler on my external 27" monitor. If I got the imac it would be the 27", i7, 680mx, 3gb fusion, and I would upgrade the ram. Hmmm....is there a small case that can fit what I have in it and run well and with good quality?

You can definitely get quality and small, but you won't be able to keep everything. You'd need an mITX motherboard at the very least, and you'd probably need to cut down on drives (possibly to a single 1TB M500 SSD). The extra case fans, fan controller, and DVD drive will also have to go if you want a truly small case. You might also need to get a smaller graphics card (depending on how small you want, you may need to go single slot. Many can fit dual slot). You should get a smaller PSU anyway; more than of that power is going towards nothing.

On the other hand, all of that will cost less than an iMac and be stronger.

pimpin-tl

Jan 24, 2010
You can definitely get quality and small, but you won't be able to keep everything. You'd need an mITX motherboard at the very least, and you'd probably need to cut down on drives (possibly to a single 1TB M500 SSD). The extra case fans, fan controller, and DVD drive will also have to go if you want a truly small case. You might also need to get a smaller graphics card (depending on how small you want, you may need to go single slot. Many can fit dual slot). You should get a smaller PSU anyway; more than of that power is going towards nothing.

On the other hand, all of that will cost less than an iMac and be stronger.

Thanks for the info. I haven't made up my mind or I wouldn't be asking here! :). AW doesn't make a dock and I rather not use the laptop for full time use. Especially when I need a pc at home When I need my laptop with me.

I use to have dual 6970s so that's the reason for the 1200 power supply. Was expecting to get dual 680s eventually but not really needed. Way more then powerful enough.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
How small are you looking for? I can piece together a build better with that information.

Some things to think about: Are you trying to fit within a certain space, or would you just like smaller? Should it fit, for example, on a desk? Does the height or the width/depth matter more? Does an HTPC form factor appeal to you?

Other concerns: What's your budget, anticipated build time, and location (as in, what online stores do you have access to)?

Preliminary example build:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I DELUXE/WD Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 960GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($599.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q08B Mini ITX Tower Case ($80.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $959.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-22 00:22 EDT-0400)

This one lets you keep everything but the motherboard, case (and accessories), PSU and the hard drives. You can choose between the fan controller and the DVD drive. It's got 2 expansion slots, and the case is basically 3 stacked shoeboxes. The case looks pretty good too, it's a sleek black with an optionally lit front fan:
11-112-265-TS

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Not really no, OP you should be beaten with sticks for considering an iMac :p

Go with what Sleepingforest said.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

No, no, NO. iMAC is a decent machine but both of those options are an extreme downgrade for gaming. It's a mistake - if you care about gaming in particular you should keep what you have.

If you want a slim form factor, get a Titan in a super small case and call it a day. the iMac uses a mobile GPU which is a joke compared to a desktop GPU.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Top end Imac in 27" comes with the 680mx.

Ah, I was just looking at the specs on Apple.com for the most expensive model I could find, at $1,999. Do they have another one slotted above that I guess with the 680?

I wish Nvidia AND AMD would be honest about the mobile model numbers. 680 mobile is nowhere in the same universe as a 680 desktop. It's not even competitive with a 660ti desktop card.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I also think that the imac is not the best option here, i'd stick with what you have and get a fan or AC.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
For what it's worth my cousin mad the cliff dive from a custom built PC to an iMac and he's a pretty big gamer. These days more titles are coming out for Macs anyway; he's waiting for the Sim City 5 version even though he could run it in his Windows Dual boot.

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
In short: No. Do not think a mac can do serious amounts of gaming. You can get close to that, but enjoy paying a price premium for it.