Should I RMA?

mojothehut

Feb 26, 2012
Hey all. I know the forum is full of "fan issue" threads, so here's one more!

My EVGA 980 Ti Classified is making annoying fan noises at low RPMs, games like WoW don't stress it too much so the fans are stopping and starting frequently. I've had to set custom profiles in the 30-40% range to stop the rattling and plasticly clicky sounds.

Other than that, the card performs amazingly. It's only 3 weeks old. I hesitate to start the RMA process only to have their people laugh and send the same card back =(

What do you think?

dailow

Oct 27, 2001
Just playing devil's advocate here...
Let's say you RMA it and get a video card back 2 weeks later.
The video card you get back has the exact same fan issue and you don't know if it's a brand new unit or a refurbished unit.

What would you do in this case?

On the other hand, if you're not too worried about modding your video card, you could look at putting a custom cooler on it, getting rid of the noisy fan and improving your overclocks at the same time. Closed-loop water cooling does wonders for video cards and dramatically lowers load temperatures at the same time.

Hail The Brain Slug

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
If it's been less than 30 days from the date of purchase, you always have the option to request replacement through your retailer. I would recommend contacting eVGA support first (I did when I had an issue with my new 980ti Classified), and they will also tell you you have the option to go through your retailer.

Bonus to replacement from the retailer is you will get a brand new replacement, which is why it's an option within 30 days. I requested replacement through Newegg and cited that eVGA told me to seek replacement through them and I had zero issues.

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
How are the fans supported? I had a card with similar prob the issue was the plastic fan supports were directly on top of the fins of the heatsink with no vibration dampening material between them. I stuck some rubber tape between them fixed the prob without having to RMA and I could still remove it l8r if I had to for some reason.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Fans shouldn't rattle, if they are, then, they aren't mounted correctly, or they are failing.