Should I rent my Landlord's jeep for a few months?

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Landlord is leaving from Jan to May, offered to rent his relatively new wrangler to me for $200 a month which is apparently half his lease. I'll have to get my own insurance on top of that, I was thinking it might be good simply to see how convenient it is / pain in the ass to have a car in the city.

Any thoughts? Keep in mind this is in Toronto, it's damn cold and winter-ish here between Feb and April.

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: KLin
Make sure to run up the miles while he's gone. :laugh:

Haha yea, that's the one thing I would love to have it for is getting out of the city and heading out camping, wouldn't be able to do that normally.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
I have done things like this and while I love the freedom of a car, it makes me realize why I don't own on in a city area (NYC). I spent about $350/month in parking, 2 $55 parking tickets, 1 tow $300, and at the time gas was $4.50/gallon. I only needed it 1-2 times a week since the subway is usually faster anyways. Moving the car for alternate side parking or whatever was such a pain.

1 parking ticket was an alternate side street cleaning offense which went into effect at 8am. I parked there from 8:01 to 8:03 and the ticket was written for me at 8:03am.
The other parking ticket and towing was on a street I park every day but 1 day some jerk got a temporary no parking for about 100 feet in front of his house for moving. He posted the signs backwards on some tiny tree so the text WHICH WAS HAND WRITTEN was wrapping around the tree. I never saw this sign (At midnight) and even if I did I couldn't read it. I could have easily fought the ticket and towing costs but taking a day off work to do so was not worth it.

So anyways I have no car. I use Zipcar. They are in toronto too. Check it out.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
From what little I know of Toronto, it has a pretty good public transportation system. Is it suitable for you to use? Do you really need a car? Public transportation not good enough for you?

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
Originally posted by: SagaLore
No.

I agree.

Too much risk versus $1000+ is alot of cab fare/bus fare; truck rental for that big something you might buy.

Now, if your landlord wants to put you on his insurance & hire you to drive the car around the block twice a week, then that is a different story.

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: zzuupp
Originally posted by: SagaLore
No.

I agree.

Too much risk versus $1000+ is alot of cab fare/bus fare; truck rental for that big something you might buy.

Now, if your landlord wants to put you on his insurance & hire you to drive the car around the block twice a week, then that is a different story.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of it that way really. I use the TTC (Toronto Transit) almost daily, I was thinking more getting out of the city, but then I can hold off for a bit or just rent a car for a weekend.