Should I reinstall Windows after inserting new GPU after using integrated?

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Am I overthinking this?

I have a new video card arriving tomorrow and have been using the integrated graphics with my skylake machine. I've read that there really is no issue with popping in the new card and the integrated will be disabled. But part of me feels like it would be best to start over with the GPU in the machine and installing windows fresh. What exactly happens with the HD530 gfx on this skylake chip if I'm using a discrete card? There are video drivers for it and they need to be installed even if I'm using the discrete card, right? There's no real way to 'disable' the integrated gfx in the bios. Am I overthinking this? What's the best course of action here? Some advice online says pop in the new card, install the nvidia drivers and forget about it. Other say to install the card and uninstall the intel drivers and disable it in device manager but that seems wrong to me.

Any sage advice would be appreciated.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
you don't even have to uninstall the intel drivers, you will be just wasting time reinstalling the OS.

Feb 19, 2009
On some BIOS, there may be an option to select the graphics adapter, with option for PCIE or iGPU. Check that it's on PCIE as primary.

If so when you plug in a new dGPU, it should just work. Install the drivers and no issues.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Sounds great. Just throw it in there and let er rip. Looks like I was overthinking. Thanks. A long time ago, mixing an IGP and a GPU's drivers on a single system was generally frowned upon and I recall BIOS settings to completely kill it. But this was when integrated graphics were outside of the CPU on the motherboard itself. My confusion stemmed from the fact that it's now inside the chip.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Typical OCD behavior here. I ended up reinstalling Windows fresh. It took maybe 10-15 minutes to have everything back to the way I had it. A fast computer plus a fast SSD plus installing via a very vast USB 3.0 stick = bare install to fully updated with drivers in 10 to 15 minutes with Windows 10. Impressive.

I noticed that there is no trace of the intel HD530 graphics anywhere. Device manager looks like it doesn't exist at all. Every driver automatically downloaded from Windows Update, all are WHQL and quite recent.

My 100mb connection is nice too since it only takes a few seconds to install all my steam games.

It's really incredible that something that would take half a weekend can now be wrapped up in less than 20 minutes.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
I noticed that there is no trace of the intel HD530 graphics anywhere. Device manager looks like it doesn't exist at all. Every driver automatically downloaded from Windows Update, all are WHQL and quite recent.

The BIOS will often disable the integrated graphics automatically if it detects a descrete card. Most have an option to manually enable it if you want/need it (e.g. for Quicksync or multi-monitor stuff).

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
On Windows 10 with Direct X 12 Multi-GPU you should actually be able to use both onboard and discrete GPU's and use the Intel HD 530 to accelerate physics effects for instance.