Should I put my old 8800gts on Physx duty?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
If you play Mafia II or Just Cause 2 then put that as your phsyx, other then that..

The card is just going to produce bunch of heat that will hit your primary video card.

If you put it in your gonna get a hotter system and it will barely be used unless you play those 2 games I mentioned,, maybe Dirt 3 .

The fan noise and heat and fact that no hot game supports it , ie.. BF3 MW3 etc... thx gg

It sounds good, but its kinda pointless. See if you can do SLI instead ?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Sheesh, thats massive. If you have mafia2 and alice. Could you try those. The physx in those games should perform better.
I do not have Alice but I ran Mafia 2 and Metro 2033.

Mafia 2, all settings on highest and/or on but physx on medium

gtx580 doing everything
avg 51.8 fps

2500k doing physx
avg 26.2 fps

Metro 2033, DX11 high settings, AAA, no DOF, advanced physx on

gtx580 doing everything
avg 79.5 fps

2500k doing physx
avg 51.7 fps

now Metro 2033 may not look bad at all on the cpu but it was all over the place with physx on. one second it would be at 70-80 fps and then plummet to 12-15 fps during effects. the average only looks good because during the parts where no effects were happening the framerate was high. I also left out the min and max for Metro 2033 because they are useless and inconsistent in this flyby benchmark.

Last edited:

mosox

Oct 22, 2010
Maybe it has something to do with this:

The truth is that there is no technical reason for PhysX to be using x87 code. PhysX uses x87 because Ageia and now Nvidia want it that way. Nvidia already has PhysX running on consoles using the AltiVec extensions for PPC, which are very similar to SSE. It would probably take about a day or two to get PhysX to emit modern packed SSE2 code, and several weeks for compatibility testing. In fact for backwards compatibility, PhysX could select at install time whether to use an SSE2 version or an x87 version – just in case the elusive gamer with a Pentium Overdrive decides to try it.
But both Ageia and Nvidia use PhysX to highlight the advantages of their hardware over the CPU for physics calculations. In Nvidia’s case, they are also using PhysX to differentiate with AMD’s GPUs. The sole purpose of PhysX is a competitive differentiator to make Nvidia’s hardware look good and sell more GPUs. Part of that is making sure that Nvidia GPUs looks a lot better than the CPU, since that is what they claim in their marketing. Using x87 definitely makes the GPU look better, since the CPU will perform worse than if the code were properly generated to use packed SSE instructions.

http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT070510142143

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
Email Nvidia asking them why they screwed you over breaking your card's ability to use their Physx tech when in a system with an AMD card.
Physx sucks anyway, which is the only reason Nvidia should be let off the hook for this one.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Email Nvidia asking them why they screwed you over breaking your card's ability to use their Physx tech when in a system with an AMD card.
Physx sucks anyway, which is the only reason Nvidia should be let off the hook for this one.

LOL. They didn't break the cards ability. They broke the ability to use it with an AMD card. When you use it the way they intended it to be used, as in alongside an Nvidia card, it works.
Once again for you Ob. Use it the right way, it works.

mosox

Oct 22, 2010
How about this? Intel strucks a deal with AMD, the latter stops producing CPUs. On the other hand only the AMD cards will work on the Intel platforms. Or Nvidia cards will work too but with appalling performance.

Considering what the Nvidia apologists said, that should be A-OK and normal business practice.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
LOL. They didn't break the cards ability. They broke the ability to use it with an AMD card. When you use it the way they intended it to be used, as in alongside an Nvidia card, it works.
Once again for you Ob. Use it the right way, it works.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't told that when he gave nvidia his money for the card. Now his card is useless because he had the nerve to buy an AMD card.

OP, you can watch some videos and see if physx is worth the trouble of getting hacked drivers. I don't think it is. I've tried it with a 9600gt.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I'm pretty sure he wasn't told that when he gave nvidia his money for the card. Now his card is useless because he had the nerve to buy an AMD card.

OP, you can watch some videos and see if physx is worth the trouble of getting hacked drivers. I don't think it is. I've tried it with a 9600gt.

Don't be so dramatic. He bought a graphics card. It functioned as a graphics card. It still will function as a graphics card. LOL you know all of this but choose the heavy BS drama route.

Now, the people I DO feel for are the ones who went out specifically and bought a lower end Nvidia GPU just for the sole purpose of running PhysX but who owned a primary AMD card. And I'm sure you'll drama this up as well and say that the number of user who did this is a number higher than Earth's human population.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
How about this? Intel strucks a deal with AMD, the latter stops producing CPUs. On the other hand only the AMD cards will work on the Intel platforms. Or Nvidia cards will work too but with appalling performance.

Considering what the Nvidia apologists said, that should be A-OK and normal business practice.

Warped outlook.
Intel needs AMD to produce CPU's and I think the GOV/SEC requires it.

And by the way, your "example" here is nothing like real life. Your entire outlook is based on 99 and 44/100ths percent conspiracy. It's really heavy.
Keep it real. I mean really real. But you can't because your entire argument is based on fiction. So it will collapse. Or collapse further.