Should I play all of Borderlands 1 GOTY before starting BL2?

finglobes

Dec 13, 2010
I don't think its critical. I liked BL2 best but the games are a lot alike. BL2 is just more polished. I would play BL1 first since it would feel clunky after BL2. I just finished BL2 and the DLC and going back to BL1 feels a bit more dated now. But its still fun. If you like one game you will like the other

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Getting through the campaign in BL1 wouldn't be a bad thing, but I don't think you'd miss much if you don't either - just some amusing voice acting and a very barebones story. BL2 is pretty much superior in every way. "Clunky" is a good way of describing how BL feels after BL2.

crazzy.heartz

Sep 13, 2010
It'd be the best if you play Borderlands 1 first, and then Borderlands 2.

1'st one would introduce you to the borderlands universe and the Claptrap is very amusing in this one. You'd appreciate the 2'nd one a lot more after playing the first.

Both are fun games either way. Plenty of replayability with different characters as well.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
OP, no, but I'd suggest it. I sort of forced myself to play all of BL1 and DLC before I did BL2. I dont regret a minute of it.

First, BL1 is still an awesome game. Great graphics great gameplay. It doesn't feel dated at all. Second it was a great experience all the way through to the end.

Finally, when you finally get into BL2 you will have a greater appreciation of all the novelties.

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
and.....if you can finish by October....you'll be ready to play the Pre-sequal.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I would. Great game (I invested probably a couple hundred hours at least), but like someone else said, you'll be less inclined to want to play it if you do BL2 first. Play BL1, it's still a great game, with great humor and dialogue, fun quests, cool guns, cool abilities, etc., etc.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Just to chime in. I loved Borderlands 1. Played it a ton. Didnt play the DLC.
I bought Borderlands 2 when it came out. Played it a lot as wel. Have an Assassin at 50 then stopped.
Now I finally have most of the DLC for Borderlands 2 and leveling a commando. So much replayability.
Honestly its such a well crafted game you are going to have fun regardless.
Claptrap is great in both games.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
storywise and stuff it doesn't matter and 2 is the better game so up to you but you can definitely skip the first game

Oct 16, 1999
I'd play through the main campaign at least once. There are several key things in BL2 that would completely lose their impact if you never played the first.

Aug 11, 2008
Either game stands alone, but if you plan to eventually play BL1 I would play that one first. The storyline in the second game will be somewhat of a spoiler in regards to the first game if you play BL2 first. But the games are basically "hack and slash" with guns, so it is not a big deal.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Yeah im doing 1 playthough of main story + DLC for BL1. Then will move to BL2.

BL1 holds up suprisingly well. Im having tons of fun, right at the part where kill Sledge.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
In my opinion, due to the use of the previous protagonist characters and some use of side characters in Borderlands 1 for the second game, it is best to blitz through the main story of Borderlands 1 just to see how it sets up for Borderlands 2 (even though it was slightly mentioned and tied into the story in Borderlands 2).

Game interface wise and gameplay wise, Borderlands 2 is definitely better.