Question Should I Overclock Ryzen 2700(X) ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

arnuld

Dec 1, 2018
I am planning to build this PCPartPicker list. After reading so many threads here, there are 2 options I have come up with:
  1. Buy 2700X and let it decide how and when to overclock itself using its XFR2 and Precision-Boost.
  2. Buy 2700 instead and OC it to 4.3 GHz.

is it unsafe to OC ? Do I need to mix-match OC 2700 by OCing RAM and options in Motherboard BIOS ? What things I should take care specifically for 2700 ?

NOTE: I don't do gaming, want to OC just to get more single threaded performance for my programming work, Jupyter Lab software and Blu-Ray movies and YouTube streaming )

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I haven't looked at MSI's x470 boards, but their x370 boards were awful. Outside of their (as of late) terrible UEFI support for x370, my #1 choice for X470 would probably be ASRock. Pretty sure their UEFI support for X470 is good (which is why their support for X370 and B350 has been so bad). Only downside to getting X470 from ASRock today, is that ASRock will neglect you once X570 is on the streets.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
The MSI x370 Titanium was probably the worst combination of expensive and under developed. It was $300 and outside I think a premium audio chip and looking purty, it was thrashed by boards half it's priced.

I could see them stepping up their game for x470 but across the board at Ryzen 1k launch they were such a bad option I haven't looked at them since.

Reactions: scannall

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Not worth buying a low end aftermarket cooler to replace the 2700x stock cooler. You'll gain maybe a couple degrees C which will make literally no impact. Either get something thats a serious upgrade or don't bother

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Not going to spoil the buying party but i would wait a handful of days to see how the ryzen 3000 series pans out. It might be a huge huge change in how much performance we can get in the 200-400 USD range. I am sure the fpu grunt will be pretty brutal for a starter. Like Athlon 1999 tractor style :)

How long till the ryzen 3000 is for sale and i can actually buy the chip? :) i feel like its more than a handful of days but im committed to waiting for it before i buy a 9900k. If its better then amd gets my money if not then the intel will hopefully be 400 by then (not that i care that much but i enjoy paying less for things even tho just got done snowboarding (150 a day lift ticket ) and eating 200$ a night dinners) so a 488$ cpu really sounds good but IF i can get better for teh same $#$ from AMD I will be very excited.

arnuld

Dec 1, 2018
Not worth buying a low end aftermarket cooler to replace the 2700x stock cooler. You'll gain maybe a couple degrees C which will make literally no impact. Either get something thats a serious upgrade or don't bother

Well, there is NH-D15 and DeepCool Assassin V2 and of course Dark Rock 4. Price difference between them and Hyper 212 or Gammaxx 400 GT, in being shipped here to India, is not much. Then I have to give up on RGB RAM. That's one thing but I thought: Wouldn't they will be an overkill because I never game and not gonna do static overclock ?

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Well, there is NH-D15 and DeepCool Assassin V2 and of course Dark Rock 4. Price difference between them and Hyper 212 or Gammaxx 400 GT, in being shipped here to India, is not much. Then I have to give up on RGB RAM. That's one thing but I thought: Wouldn't they will be an overkill because I never game and not gonna do static overclock ?

Be careful if you are looking at the NH-D15. I love mine, but depending on your fan configuration and other factors, you may have to make some compromises on DIMM height. I selected Corsair Vengeance LPX for use with my NH-D15 since I know that the "small" heatspreaders are compatible with any fan configuration I choose with the NH-D15. Stuff like Trident-Z requires compromises.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
AiO gives you zero RAM clearance issues. If you want a good, cheap AiO I would look at some of the 280mm rad AiOs. Some of them have gotten pretty cheap, and there are excellent performers among the lot. For example:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#W=10280&sort=price&page=1

That EVGA CLC 280 is a proven performer at a decent price. Not sure about your market, but the EVGA is cheaper than the one you linked in the US by about $10.

It should be noted that HSFs like the Dark Rock series and Le Grand Macho series may not cause issues with RAM clearance.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The Mugen 5 isn't a top performer. It loses to the Le Grand Macho RT and the NH-D15 in every test where I've seen them compared. It is kinda cheap though. Honestly if RAM clearance is an issue, I'd just go with the Le Grand Macho RT, assuming there's room for it in the case.

arnuld

Dec 1, 2018
The Mugen 5 isn't a top performer. It loses to the Le Grand Macho RT and the NH-D15 in every test where I've seen them compared. It is kinda cheap though. Honestly if RAM clearance is an issue, I'd just go with the Le Grand Macho RT, assuming there's room for it in the case.

You are correct on performance part of all. Unfortunately I can't get Le Grand Macho RT in India

daperl

Feb 15, 2016
Yeah, the Le Grand Macho RT is the right choice, it even seems to be lighter than the Mugen 5. And that passive cooling up to 95 watt TDP. Unbelievable.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Don't right off cheaper 120mm units. I have run 2 H80's in Push pull with tons of success. Really it takes an H100 or better running 4 to consistently beat it. Specially if you aren't overclocking but want a lot of cooling overhead for PB2.