Should I order a spare power supply?

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
Just how often do these die? It seems like I've had this issue once or twice in the last 10-15 years. I found a cheap one on Ebay for $25. When the PS dies, the choice is to find it locally for like $50-$75, or to order off Ebay, which means at least a week's wait time. I am tempted to just buy a PS for $25 and store it. Is this overkill ?

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Spend $25 more on forums if you want a good back up unit. $25 ebay PSU is a bad idea.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I always have a spare. If nothing else, it will be a valuable troubleshootimg tool to elimimate or confirm PSU problems should you encounter issues.

Feb 25, 2011
I always have a spare. If nothing else, it will be a valuable troubleshootimg tool to elimimate or confirm PSU problems should you encounter issues.

For troubleshooting, I'd rather spend a couple bucks on a PSU tester. Easier to store and such.

Then if I know I need a replacement PSU, I can actually evaluate my needs and order something good, rather than being stuck with whatever I thought was a good idea once upon a time.

I can live for a few days with just my laptop.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
For troubleshooting, I'd rather spend a couple bucks on a PSU tester. Easier to store and such.

Then if I know I need a replacement PSU, I can actually evaluate my needs and order something good, rather than being stuck with whatever I thought was a good idea once upon a time.

I can live for a few days with just my laptop.

I wouldnt, Those are crap, and only good if the PSU has completely lost a rail. If your PSU is faltering under certain load conditions (which is far more likely than a complete failure) that won't cut it.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
The irony of having a spare is that you might never need it or the spare might just die sooner than the one you have. The low build quality and leaving it idle might just kill it faster.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
It's not milk bro, it's not gonna spoil by having it sit.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
It's not milk bro, it's not gonna spoil by having it sit.
I am inclined to believe it will degrade a little bit. A PSU could sit on the shelf unopened for 6 years and it won't have the same qualities of a unit that came fresh from the factory.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Based on what exactly? Besides, there's a huge difference between degrade a little bit (what you just said) and completely fail before a well used unit that's just as old. (what you said earlier)

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Based on what exactly? Besides, there's a huge difference between degrade a little bit (what you just said) and completely fail before a well used unit that's just as old. (what you said earlier)
In my earlier post, it was between OP's current PSU which is of better quality versus a spare which is cheaper and presumably poorly made. In the second post, it was a comparison between 2 equally similar PSUs but one that is new versus another that is 'old' but unused.

I think it is a fair assumption that there would be a little bit degradation if they are similar but increases if we're comparing a poorly made unit versus a well made one. The point is that the good unit although it is used, it might outlive a poorly made one that was never used.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I've never seen a PSU fail for not being used. I doubt you have either. Even if its a lower quality one. The key would be to make sure it's not DOA when you buy it. After that you can store it as long as you like and it's not going to spontaneously fail on you. The main problem with low quality is if it's going to be good enough to support your current/future systems should you ever need it.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
I doubt you have either.
I certainly have although it doesn't strictly applies to PSUs alone, it could be anything with a shelf life. Without preserving it in the right conditions, some degradation will creep in eventually. Wine goes bad too if the cellar that it is kept in is not at it's optimal humidity and temperature.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Obviously if you keep it in areas of moisture and get contacts rusted or something of that nature, yeah, it could fail, but because of the conditions not because it isn't being used. A PSU that's in service would be subject to the same thing.

I can throw a 6 year old PSU in a fire, that doesn't mean it failed because it was 6 years old.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I always try to keep my PSUs around 50% load and I've never had a failure doing this. I did have one failure I can recall and it was actually over 100% load. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Ironicly another one was on order when it fried so I only ended up waiting like a week as it had already been shipped.

If you have a critical server then it's good to have a spare. Though it's even more important to have spare hard drives.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I always keep an extra around but I'm running 9 systems 24/7 on BOINC and Folding@Home. I get em when they are on "Shell Shocker" sales for a good price.

Not sure it would be worth it if you are only running one system.

Then again it might be more important to have a spare if you only have one system and need to rely on it?

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
First, my username is "GoodEnough". I am not a uberGamer. I just need a basic PC for home use.

Can someone explain what a "bad" or "cheap" PSU is? Why is an ebay special bad? I figured either it works or it doesn't. And just how awesome are the components in a DELL? They just assemble parts themselves.

Here are the two "Bestec" options
300W for $25 (refurb)
350E for $30 (new)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200802145145?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200794282584?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
A bad PSU is one made from subpar components. They generally have a shorter lifespan and when they do go, they go violently and take the rest of your computer with it. A good PSU is made from quality components and if they do go, they tend to go alone and leave the rest of your machine unscathed.

There is no point in buying those no-name options when a Corsair CX430V2 is often on sale for $20 after rebate.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
A bad PSU is one made from subpar components. They generally have a shorter lifespan and when they do go, they go violently and take the rest of your computer with it. A good PSU is made from quality components and if they do go, they tend to go alone and leave the rest of your machine unscathed.

There is no point in buying those no-name options when a Corsair CX430V2 is often on sale for $20 after rebate.

Interesting. Is there any proof or studies that show a bad PS will take down your entire system? What features do Corsair implement to prevent this?

Looks like Corsair is $25 with rebate, but I don't do rebates.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139026

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
Interesting. Is there any proof or studies that show a bad PS will take down your entire system? What features do Corsair implement to prevent this?

Looks like Corsair is $25 with rebate, but I don't do rebates.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139026

It's happened to me and my college roommates years ago. I know that's anecdotal so if you don't believe, buy what you want.

If you want to know the difference in quality, read some reviews on www.jonnyguru.com. He takes units apart (good and bad) and you can clearly see the difference in components used.

Also, cheap power supplies FEEL cheap (as in they are extremely light when you lift them up.) Quality units are MUCH heavier due to the heavier duty components inside. This difference isn't even close.

Vinwiesel

Jan 26, 2011
Every generic supply I've had died within a year. One was 2 weeks, one was 2 hours. You can tell they're garbage just by the weight of them. Only name-brand that has ever failed me is an antec, and that was after 2 years, and they replaced it free of charge. Still have it as a spare, too bad everything is 24 pin now.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I am revisiting this. Is $30 Ebay REALLY that bad? IF so... Can someone tell me a spare PS I can order for my Dell ?