Discussion Should I move closer to home?

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
I’ve lived in Boston full time from 2007 - 2020. Due to covid, I switched to spending most of my time in Chicago due to the S.O. having to move there for a job.

I now have the opportunity to move again and by default, I was going to go back to Boston (technically I never left). However, my family lives in New Jersey just outside of New York, which is where I left back in 2007, and I’ve been thinking more and more than as my parents are getting older (my dad is 75) it might make sense for me to move closer to home for a few years and spend more time with them. I’ve seen people close to me lose a parent and most of the time, there’s regret around not seeing them enough.

Boston is close enough but it’s still five hours away, so it’s not like I can see them twice a month. I guess I could always live in Boston and just make sure I travel once every 3 weeks to see them. But a lot of my friends moved out of Boston during covid so not much ties me to there anymore other than I love New England.

Nov 17, 2019
I’ve lived in Boston

my time in Chicago due

to go back to Boston

my family lives in New Jersey just outside of New York,

Boston is close enough

always live in Boston and

moved out of Boston during

I love New England.

People seem to like Tucson.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
^^^ Like any kiln.

But at least he'd be free of 'family'.

Most of my adult life I lived at least 100 miles from the rest of the family. (other than wife and kids...couldn't seem to shake them)
Some people are just family dependent...I never was.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
I wouldn't ever second guess someone who wants to be nearby to help their parents in their old age.

That said, the "Boston by default" sounds pretty halfhearted to me. Look at this as an opportunity (as leaving Chicago most certainly is). Ask yourself where you would really enjoy living and then figure out how to make that happen.

Reactions: Captante

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
You're a grown kid with your own family. Live where you want to live that best benefits your kids and your life.

Reactions: KidNiki1

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Aside from my daughters (one of whom is currently mad at me) I don't have "family" like I used too.

Parents passed away as have the majority of my older aunts, uncles and cousins and my younger brother while he lives fairly close is busy with his own kids/career so I don't see a whole lot of him/them.

I would say that if you are close to your parents moving near them is a very good idea. Before you know it they'll be gone and the opportunity will no longer exist.... I suggest taking it.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I would give anything to spend time with my dad again. So it would be easy decision and I would move to New Jersey if I was in your shoes. I wouldn't give second thought.

Reactions: Captante