Should I keep this Fiero?

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I knew that the v6 was crammed in there... but MAN! I had to pull the wheel and inner fender liners just to loosen the alternator so I could get the belts off to pull the water pump! Grrr...

Today I decided to fix the @^%@$#^% console glovebox thing. The nuts that hold the hinge in were missing. Dismantle half the interior to get it out. Find the nuts hiding under the insulation. Crank 'em back on, put the thing back together. 1 hour!!!

Things left: Driver's side door lock fell out of the door (the outside part the key goes into... door works fine otherwise). Not looking forward to this. I helped another friend fix this same prob on his Fiero. Need to be friggin PlasticMan to get your fingers in the right places. Then the steering column is sloppy. Probably a loose/broke bracket. And new turn signal/wiper switch. Tired of the wipers going on as I drive down the street. Then to find the itty bitty oil leak that is leaking just enough to stink, not to find. Then a new handle for the sunroof (or make new bracket for it). Then I can try to figure out the shifted front fascia/bumper.

Anybody wanna buy a Fiero? (Only partly kidding... :()

This is my friend's car. When my Volvo died (new engine sitting at my in-law's waiting for me to get gaskets and mounts to put it in), he loaned it to me. I had to fix it and see about selling it. I love driving it, super fast (not as fast as my old Z tho...heh), and handles like a dream. Plus only has 80k on the odo. But all the piddly stuff is gonna drive me nutz! I've been debating whether to buy it off him myself or not.

1986 Fiero SE V6
Enkei wheels
Ugly, trashed paint (was gold, some prev owner got an Earl Scheib burgundy job done on it and it suks butt.)
The piddly sh!t listed above.
80k on the odo (wonder if it's accurate? Runs strong enough to be...)
$2k (though I can pay him whenever I feel like it...)

Whatchall think?

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Didn't Fieros have some problem like catching on fire or something?
Either way I don't think a 17 year old car is worth $2000. :(

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Freejack2
Yeah, Pontiac did a coupla recalls to fix the prob... This car's had both. (Stickers under the hood...)

$2000 for a very strong running and fun 17 year old car. ;) The price isn't the issue (like I said, I don't have to pay right away) but I'm wondering about the other crap that this 17 year old car is showing its age with. :(

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Just turn your Fiero into a Fierrari :D ...ok i'm kidding. I guess some people who want to build a kit car would be interested in a Fiero.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: boyRacer
Just turn your Fiero into a Fierrari :D ...ok i'm kidding. I guess some people who want to build a kit car would be interested in a Fiero.

Ha, yes, but the interior is still the normal GM stuff... dead give away!

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Bignate603

Trust me the average person would never know... :) just add a little prancing horse emblem on the steering wheel and they could care less. I was at a gas station one time and a 3rd gen mazda RX7 pulls up... some guy comes up to the driver and says... "Hey nice Viper!" :confused:

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Bignate603

Trust me the average person would never know... :) just add a little prancing horse emblem on the steering wheel and they could care less. I was at a gas station one time and a 3rd gen mazda RX7 pulls up... some guy comes up to the driver and says... "Hey nice Viper!" :confused:

LOL, I can understand not knowing an RX7, there aren't a ton of them around and they don't have the hype of alot of sports cars, but you should know that something that small isn't a viper...

I still think people will know something isn't right when there's that normal sort of fabric seats with that plush junk GM always uses.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
I've seen a LOT of those for sale cheap because they needed a clutch. Not a easy fix. Sounds like NOTHING on them is a easy fix.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Freejack2

That was on the four cylinders mostly I think.

I bought a new Fiero when they first came out and had little problems with it. It was a great car for about five years when I sold it.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Seems like I remember a rumor a long time ago that in the V-6 models you had to loosen the motor mounts and raise the motor slightly to change the oil.

Probably an urban legend, but I do remember the V-6 was a damn tight squeeze in there.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Sluggo
Seems like I remember a rumor a long time ago that in the V-6 models you had to loosen the motor mounts and raise the motor slightly to change the oil.

Probably an urban legend, but I do remember the V-6 was a damn tight squeeze in there.

Hmm... I've heard that one too... It's really not so bad.

Remember the one about having to completely drop the engines on the 1st gen Toyota minivans to change the spark plugs? ;)

Seriously, though, once you've driven a v6 Fiero, you will never forget it. :D

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: DurocShark
Originally posted by: Sluggo

Hmm... I've heard that one too... It's really not so bad.

Remember the one about having to completely drop the engines on the 1st gen Toyota minivans to change the spark plugs? ;)

Seriously, though, once you've driven a v6 Fiero, you will never forget it. :D

Way back in the day (about 1987 or so) my sister found a really really sweet used Fiero SE 4cyl. She had it 3 days and totaled it.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Ya'll are right. As soon as the Volvo gets fixed, the Fiero goes on the street. Thanks for bringing a bit of sanity to me... ;)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
If you think you might miss it, son't sell it, because you will. I can introduce you to a former '93 Mustang Cobra owner or two who will attest to that.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
The put 350's in 'em by taking out the trunk. There's a large cargo area in the engine compartment. :Q

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Roger
Swap the V6 for a Grand National V6 ;)
I assume you have one to give me? With the turbo gear, of course. ;)

Yeah, I wish... It's practically a bolt-in. But GN engines are expensive. Might as well go 350. Or better yet, have a 302 put in my Volvo. :D Talk about a sleeper. heh

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
If you really want a Fiero, which are fun cars to drive, get a different one. The bodies on these cars weren't designed to be painted, so this cheap paint job ruined the original finish and you won't be able to get a decent paint job on it now.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I wouldn't keep it unless I had nothing... even then, maybe not... :p

a popular thing with those Fieros is a Northstar V8 swap.. that'd haul for sure then.... but otherwise... nothing special. I beat a 2M6 model up a hill with 4 ppl in the Max. it was funny.

SpongeBob

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2001
My friend had an '88 Fiero Formula. That car was super-fun to drive and looked sweet. I say keep it!

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
Where's yellowfiero ?

hehe right here!

I think all Fieros are worth rehabilitating. Being that his is an '86, with a V6 (and I know how hard it is to work on 'em)... I'd say $2K is about right for something with about 80,000 miles on it. Lets face it, there are fewer and fewer of them around.

I remember touring the Fiero plant back in '84 - they couldn't keep up with demand. Then the MR2 and Miata came out and wiped out all demand for the 2 seat market. The 80s---- what a decade.. :)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
If I ever had a Fiero, I'd drop a 2.5 intercooled turbo in there ;) that'd be much fun....