Should I install Norton SystemWorks ? Need Advice.

kyutip

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2000
Just got my SystemWorks Pro 2001.
I'm thinking of installing it on my Win2k and Win98SE machine.
I heard that in certain cases SystemWorks will slow down the computer.
Is there any reason why I should not install Systemworks ? should I just install certain parts ?

S0me1X

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2000
I don't really like system utilities on my Windows 2000 computer. You should at least install ghost and antivirus (I am talking about under Windows2000).

The Norton Utilities part of SystemWorks isn't too useful: Norton DiskDoctor and Speed Disk isn't really that much better than the default utilities that comes with Windows 2000. System Doctor doesn't tell you anything you need to know that Windows 2000 doesn't already, etc.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I still have bad feelings about anything Norton because of experiences from the Windows 3.1 days. I am kind of a minimalist when it comes to utility type software and generally get annoyed with anything that wants to take up residence in my system tray.

bigbootydaddy

Banned
Sep 14, 2000
and like not that much goes wrong now a days, even with BSOD...all i ever get norton utils to fix is like miccing shortcuts and icon problems....but maybe im not overkilling my comp enough yet, norton do something useful already!!

skywhr

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
I installed Norton Anti-virus and ghost only and havent had any problems

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
Norton system works will defrag the hard drive faster than windows 2k does it. I have Norton System Works with norton personal firewall and have no problems, startup is a bit slower, but only by a few seconds.

Khameleon

Apr 12, 2001
I'm also pretty minimalist when it comes to utilities, particularly with Windows 2K. I have seen the full installation of Norton Systemworks do more harm than good to a system in the past, but I don't know about the new version. Win2K has plenty of utilities built in that will enable you to monitor and work with your system. Like others have said, I would stick with antivirus and ghost and not take chances with the other utilities.

xraymongral

Banned
Nov 25, 2000
I have tried Norton System Utieities twice, and both times encountered more problems with running it then I had before I installed it.

I use Inoculate IT, a free anti-virus program I downloaded here.. It works as good or better than Norton, and doesen't slow your system down.

Mikal

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2001
If you want to choke your PC with unneeded memory-resident programs, sure, install it!

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
no, don't install it. You can, however, explore the cd and only install nav 2001, norton utilities 2001, and ghost. Make sure that nu doesn't load anything at startup (system doctor garbage) and you'll be ok.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I installed it....didn't make any of Norton's apps startup automatically....I just run it whenever i feel like it....no problems whatsoever.

MrCool

May 4, 2001
I installed it without auto startup. But you can also run some of the utils right from the disk. S0me1X is right about the defrag though, but I think SpeedDisk arranges files according to the frequency of use.