Should I get XP Pro to replace XP Home for my dual system?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Hang on.

Let me answer the questions that I know you were going to ask.

1. Why do you have dual CPUs with Windows XP Home, which can only take advantage of one?

-I bought XP home before I went dual. I also didn't use Windows much then, so I could use the dual ability in Debian.

2. There is a FAQ for the differences. You didn't check it, did you?

-Yes, I did. What I'm asking is will I notice a big enough difference in Windows to warrant it?

I did notice a sizeable difference in Linux, but I want to know if that difference will be comprable in Windows.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
In running windows itself, probably not. But any SMP application won't use the second CPU then.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: MedicBob
In running windows itself, probably not. But any SMP application won't use the second CPU then.

Well, I don't have any SMP-capable programs. The advantage in Linux is that it puts one program on one CPU, and another on the second, so it seems to flow better.

Will Windows not do that well, then?

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
XP will balance the load between the processors but only up to 50% utilization of each. Some people report that windows seems to run smoother with dual processors but I can't tell the difference. There is a definite improvement when doing video encoding, photoshop, and programs like that but for every day stuff, the difference is minimal in my opinion.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: bozo1
XP will balance the load between the processors but only up to 50% utilization of each. Some people report that windows seems to run smoother with dual processors but I can't tell the difference. There is a definite improvement when doing video encoding, photoshop, and programs like that but for every day stuff, the difference is minimal in my opinion.

Hmmm, interesting. The most processor intensive thing that I do is run Bryce 4, but I don't believe that it can take advantage of dual processors.

Anywho, thanks for the replies.

topaz22

Dec 9, 1999
do all of your serious work using debian; play games in winxp (are there any games that take advantage of smp ?)

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
There are some games that recognize SMP, Quake is one of them, but I don't see a need to run Duallies unless there is a reason. Same though, don't need XP Pro if you don't need it. I personally have a dual system but it is a server with 2000 Server on it. I have heard that Windows in general runs smoother with duallies, but I haven't heard/read of XP Home being any better/worse on a SMP system.

Basically try it and let us know how it runs. Benchmarks might be the only way to tell though.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
I wouldn't tell someone to neccesarily go out and purchase a dual system if they didn't have a use in mind that would take advantage of it. But in your case, you already have one, seems a crying shame to let that second CPU just do nothing... ;)

Bill

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: bsobel
I wouldn't tell someone to neccesarily go out and purchase a dual system if they didn't have a use in mind that would take advantage of it. But in your case, you already have one, seems a crying shame to let that second CPU just do nothing... ;)

Bill

It was just one of those "What the hell?" purchases. I was making huge money working huge overtime, so I figured "Why not spend the $400 to go dual?".

I might get XP Pro. I need an internal hardware purchase first though, or I can't get the big discount.