Should I get another 1TB 860EVO SSD or a 4TB WD Black for storage

Candymancan21

Jun 8, 2009
Un redoing my filing systems.. I just bought a 1TB 860 Evo as my 240gb SSD was getting 40mb/s reads for some reason and im tired of it always running out of space and me moving games to the 1TB WDblack i have.. My 640GB drive is 10 years old.. slow and has a bad sector.. and im also running out of HDD space.. "well i was" I installed windows on the 860 moved all my files from the 240gb ssd to it and reformated the 240gb ssd. Its speeds are back to 500/300 read and write, and the 860 evo is at 550/550. So obviously the 860 is my main Drive, the 240gb will be backup SSD and my 1TB WD black is for storage but its nearly full

So currently it looks like this.

1. 860 evo 1TBSSD , 600gb free main drive OS install and will be used for games only.
2. 240GB Silicon power SSD empty, i will use to store games i semi play to not play anymore.
3. 1TB WD black i transferred all my Pics downloads, videos and files like this
4. 640GB WD blue 10 years old, has a bad sector needs to be retired

And I was planning for it to be like this

1. 860 evo 1TBSSD , 600gb free main drive OS install and will be used for games only.
2. 240GB Silicon power SSD empty, i will use to store games i semi play.
3. 4TB WD black it is faster then the 1TB one i have so ill use this HDD for older video games and stuff
4. 1TB WD black i transferred all my Pics downloads, videos and files like this

I was going to purchase a 4TB WD black and use it as a secondary drive for video games it was $190 on amazon, and i did purchase it but i canceled the order before they charged me as i was thinking, I dont like how slow the data transfers are between the WD Black i have now and the SSD, the WD black is the weakest link and large file transfers slow down to 180mb/s or so because of the HDD.

Since i cleaned my HDD's and reoganized all my files i have 1 TB of free space between the 3 drives (not counting the 640 because im removing it) Should I just buy another 1TB 860 Evo its only $60 more then the 4TB drive, and it will bring my storage to 2 TB free which should be enough for a long time for me. This way my HDDs will be like this.

2. 860 Evo TB SSD, secondary drive for video games
2. 240GB Silicon power SSD empty, not sure what ill use it for
4. 1TB WD black i transferred all my Pics downloads, videos and files like this

What do you guys think ? Buy the 4TB WD black or get another 1TB 860 EVO, with the 4TB HDD i will probly never run out of HDD space for yeaaarss, but with the 1TB 860 i wont have to worry about which video game to move and which not to move.. I hated that on my 240GB SSD it was a guessing game every time i ran out of space which one to keep on the faster drive and which stays.. With 2 Evo's ill have 2 TB of space and itll take years for em to even use that up not to mention i still have the 240gb ssd thats empty too. And deleting uneeded files on the WD Black i have like 300gb of free space so that should be enough for just pics and stuff

Last edited:

Candymancan21

Jun 8, 2009
Can someone answer me please, i hate making a thread and non one answers..

Its a simple question..

I have a 1TB 860 SSD, a 1TB WD black, and a 240gb SSD, I have 450GB free space on the SSD, 400GB free space on the WD black, and 240gb free on the other SSD, I need to get rid of my 640GB 10 year old WD blue drive.. Should I just buy a 4TB WD Black drive and never worry about storage again, or should I get another 1TB 860 SSD because data transfers between SSDS and mechanical drives are slow so thats why i was thinking just get another 1TB SSD.. I'll have 2TB of free space between my SSD's and that should last for a few years.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
I'd go SSD if you know it's going to meet your storage needs. If you suspect you're going to run out of space I would buy the WD spinner and keep least used files on there. Only you can really say what your use case is and whether or not less but faster storage is the way to go. However, it sounds to me like the SSD would do the trick for you and I'd go in that direction.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Always SSD's unless you really need a lot of storage. Chances are you don't need to keep games from say 2001 or episodes of tv shows you've watched a 100 times already.

Don't be a data hoarder.

High performance/NVME SSD for OC/Games and the cheapest largest SSD you can find for storage.

pawie

Jun 25, 2018
SSD Is the king. IDK is it possible to make raid with a combination of SSD and HDD but for sure files, you will be stored at hdd makes your computer 10 times slower when it will be games or whatever it will be.

I know that because whole my life I use HDD because SSD was too expensive. When I found thousands of bad sectors on it I simply replace it with SDD.

For sure games like wow, league of legends or eve online are working just nice and smooth. There are no lags and I can just enjoy my favorite games as I like.

Last edited:

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
RAID it or setup external continuous/managed backup, either would be fine. If the data doesn't need to enter and exit as quickly or in very large chunks, do the HDD's only if you want to save money, otherwise the SSD will always be a better choice.