Should I get an iPad 2 or 3?

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
So, refurb iPad 2's are now selling for $349 http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC979LL/A

I'm not sure I care about the retina display or the more advanced graphics processor. What else differentiates the new iPad from the old one? I sold my Nook Color for $130 and am confident that I can sell my Transformer for ~$230-$240, which would put me around the after tax price of the iPad 2.

I'm switching to the iPad because of the much bigger app catalog and because my academic library patrons mainly use iPads. There really isn't that much support by our vendors for Android tablets, whereas there's a lot out there for the iPad.

I don't really care about more advanced graphics for games, and my transformer's resolution is good enough for me. I think I'd rather buy a hard drive than spend that extra money for the new iPad.

Am I missing any cool specs?

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
If you're not sure you care about Retina, check out an iPhone4 screen and imagine that sharpness on a 10" screen. Other than that, if you don't care about graphics power, the iPad3 has LTE. If you're gonna be using wifi only LTE won't matter to you.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Its not an iPad 3! Its iPad! :) I wanna see one before I commit. Although from the vids and specs it seems like a very decent media device.

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006
I'd suggest comparing them side-by-side. The added resolution is going to make text so much easier on the eyes.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I'd suggest comparing them side-by-side. The added resolution is going to make text so much easier on the eyes.

That means waiting until March 19th. I'm not sure the refurbed 2's are going to last that long :\

I like to read on my transformer (and liked it on the NC), and have never experienced eye discomfort.

Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Choosing between the 2 and the 3, I'd go with the 3 simply because of the upgpraded specs.

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com
Am I the only one who looked at the iPad 3 and just saw a product that seems to have lost the whole Apple product feel? Thicker and heavier, really? Steve would never have released it like that.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Am I the only one who looked at the iPad 3 and just saw a product that seems to have lost the whole Apple product feel? Thicker and heavier, really? Steve would never have released it like that.

Slightly heavier and .5mm thicker? And gaining 2x the battery, 4x the pixels, and LTE? An acceptable compromise.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

Not really. The increase in pixels is a major step. LTE is a huge battery hog. Treading water with the batter life and only adding .5mm is a decent engineering achievement.

I'm just not sure that the screen is worth $150 to me (I'm just going to rely on android WAP on my phone for internet). I wish I could go into a store tonight and compare a 2 and 3 :\

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

4S is heavier than 3GS. Any outrage over that?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
As for the OP, there is no doubt to me, I'd go for the new one without thinking about it. The resale alone should you decide to flip it would make up the difference in purchase price.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Not really. The increase in pixels is a major step. LTE is a huge battery hog. Treading water with the batter life and only adding .5mm is a decent engineering achievement.

I'm just not sure that the screen is worth $150 to me (I'm just going to rely on android WAP on my phone for internet). I wish I could go into a store tonight and compare a 2 and 3 :\

LTE isn't the battery hog they were compensating for since it only decreases the battery life by one hour vs Wifi. Either the new SoC, screen or a combination of both is the real power hog.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I like to read on my transformer (and liked it on the NC), and have never experienced eye discomfort.

If you like to read on your tablet, the Retina screen is going to make that a much better experience.

Nov 3, 2004
I've never owned an iPad before, but I'm buying the new iPad over the previous gen, without hesitation. It's a huge upgrade, I mean that screen resolution is ridiculous!!

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
If you like to read on your tablet, the Retina screen is going to make that a much better experience.

Having read with a NC and a transformer, I don't think sharper characters are worth all that much. I've never once thought "my eyes are tired, I wish this screen had higher pixel density."

Damn it, this is the wrong place to ask this. All you nerds need to have the latest and greatest. You guys are tech addicts :p. Me? I'm ok with being a little behind the curve if it save me money :D

Last edited:

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
The refurb iPad 2's are going to last fine. If Apple was discontinuing the iPad 2, I might say do it now, but they aren't.

I'd wait, then hit up a store and look at the screen quality between a 2 and 3 for yourself. I would say that if you plan on doing a lot of reading, you should definitely go for the 3. If the A5X turns out to have 1GB of RAM, that would be a plus as well.

What I would have LOVED to see is a iPad 2 released in the iPad 3 shell with the larger battery. Imagine a 18 hour battery life iPad 2!

Aug 23, 2000
Having read with a NC and a transformer, I don't think sharper characters are worth all that much. I've never once thought "my eyes are tired, I wish this screen had higher pixel density."

Damn it, this is the wrong place to ask this. All you nerds need to have the latest and greatest. You guys are tech addicts :p. Me? I'm ok with being a little behind the curve if it save me money :D

I'm with you on it. I would save the money and get the iPad2. I read for hours on mine and have no issue with it or my eyes being tired.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
After a little digging, the camera and dictation software are what are pulling me towards 3rd gen. I had no idea that the back camera on the 2 is under a megapixel.

Thanks beaxor, you may be right about the refurb stock. Also, the ram issue concerns me. My biggest fear about going with the 2 is that I apps or iOs updates will run slow or not at all. Having half as much ram might do that.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Thanks beaxor, you may be right about the refurb stock. Also, the ram issue concerns me. My biggest fear about going with the 2 is that I apps or iOs updates will run slow or not at all. Having half as much ram might do that.

The only thing I'd imagine Apple would run out of in the refurb stock is 32 and 64 models eventually. Since they still make and sell the 16's, they'll be around in the refurb store for quite some time. They might not always be there, but they'll come back at some point.

If you intend to keep the device for a number of years, then definitely go with the newest so it's the most future-proof. But if you plan on selling it every year and upgrading, that might be a plus for the iPad 2, though I'd imagine you'd just be selling an iPad 2 to upgrade to a iPad 3 and you'll still shell out another 100-150 on that upgrade so it's all kind of a wash in the end, yes?

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
The 3 just to have the latest. You may save $100+ depending on your model, but you'll have to live with the reminder that you bought 1 year old tech, and everyone else has newer hardware, a better camera, and a better display.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Personally I am most intrigued by the new camera. The 4g is seriously hampered by the very limited bandwidth. 5 Gigs is a session of netflix. Why get blazing speeds if you can't use it? The display will be something I would have to experience.