Should I get an IDE card for 2 HD's, 2 optical drives, or just do the master/slave thing?

Scurvy

Mar 22, 2002
My new computer is still a work in progress. So far, Epox 8KHA+, XP1700+, 512mb DDR, GeForce 4 Ti4400, Maxtor 60GB Quiet Drive, and Toshiba DVD drive. At this point still using onboard sound - works ok for me.

In the coming months I will be adding another hard drive and of course a CDRW. I could do the usual thing of jumpering the new hard drive as slave and run on the same cable with the existing HD. I could also assign master and slave to the CDRW and DVD drive, respectively, and run them on the same cable.

OR>>> I could get a Promise ATA100 IDE controller card for about $20 and I could run all these devices as master, each on their own cable.

Will I see access time benefits and other performance benefits if I do this? I do like to be able to do direct cd-to-cd copy when appropriate and it seems having the controller card could help with this. I also plan to buy an economical video capture device of some sort and dump the raw capture to the second hard drive, and again it seems it could help to have it designated as a master to prevent priority conflicts from disturbing the capture stream if the system decides to do some function while the the vidcapping is active.

Whatcha think? Is it worth the extra?

ripthesystem

Mar 11, 2002

<< Will I see access time benefits and other performance benefits if I do this? I do like to be able to do direct cd-to-cd copy when appropriate and it seems having the controller card could help with this. I also plan to buy an economical video capture device of some sort and dump the raw capture to the second hard drive, and again it seems it could help to have it designated as a master to prevent priority conflicts from disturbing the capture stream if the system decides to do some function while the the vidcapping is active.

Whatcha think? Is it worth the extra?
>>

I say save the Xtra $$. I would think the performance gain would be totally unnoticeable if any.
If you put your Main CD-Rom drive on the same cable as your main harddrive and then put your CDRW on the IDE with the stoarge HD you can then copy CD 2 CD without worries and also dump you vid captures onto the storage drive uninterrupted(unless the possiblity of you burning a CD at the same time;))

then take the $20 and put it towards a firewire card for your capturing.. unless you want analog - then put it towards a good TV card

hth
ripthesystem

NelsonMuntz

Golden Member
Jun 14, 2001

<< I say save the Xtra $$. I would think the performance gain would be totally unnoticeable if any.
If you put your Main CD-Rom drive on the same cable as your main harddrive and then put your CDRW on the IDE with the stoarge HD you can then copy CD 2 CD without worries and also dump you vid captures onto the storage drive uninterrupted(unless the possiblity of you burning a CD at the same time;))

then take the $20 and put it towards a firewire card for your capturing.. unless you want analog - then put it towards a good TV card

hth
ripthesystem
>>

Agreed!