Question Should I get an 65watt i9 chip or 85watt i9 chip? (9th gen)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
I've decided not to upgrade my cpu atm. The i5 that the above user said is compatible is only a 35 dollar difference from the i3 i have. I'm weary on whether I would even get a major boost. May just wait until I can get a better build. It isn't an urgancy. May just upgrade my display monitor now that I think about it.

Reactions: Shmee

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I've decided not to upgrade my cpu atm. The i5 that the above user said is compatible is only a 35 dollar difference from the i3 i have. I'm weary on whether I would even get a major boost. May just wait. It isn't an urgancy. May just upgrade my display monitor now that I think about it.

The i5-9400 is a much better performer overall than the i3-9100, especially if you are limited by thread count. Which you will be in the modern software paradigm. Just because there is only a $35 difference doesn't mean that the performance difference is minuscule.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
The i5-9400 is a much better performer overall than the i3-9100, especially if you are limited by thread count. Which you will be in the modern software paradigm. Just because there is only a $35 difference doesn't mean that the performance difference is minuscule.

Yeah, it could also be considered a bargain. $35 for 50%+ performance under max threaded loads is an no-brainer of an upgrade to make. It is easy to sell an 9th gen i3 too right now.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Waiting for a new build probably makes sense at this point. Upgrading from an i3 to an i5 doesn't seem to make sense to me, I would go for an i7 at least.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Based on the amount of money spent on the initial PC, I don't think he's seriously considering a Threadripper regardless. That's a huge investment compared to the little ~$500 OEM PC he has now.
True, however he likes to make music. He should just save up and get something that will fit his needs. He can probably get away with a high end Ryzen. He did say he wasn't in a hurry.

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
The only difference between the ones with the "F" at end is the "F" one doesn't have graphics. But I have dedicated gpu, so I should choose that one?(NM, the non"F" one is better supposedly, cause with cpu graphics, it's less workload on my gpu)

Edit: For the future, may go Ryzen cause it's better than Intel supposedly. But I can work with Intel right now, it's no problem

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
The only difference between the ones with the "F" at end is the "F" one doesn't have graphics. But I have dedicated gpu, so I should choose that one?(NM, the non"F" one is better supposedly, cause with cpu graphics, it's less workload on my gpu)

Edit: For the future, may go Ryzen cause it's better than Intel supposedly. But I can work with Intel right now, it's no problem

If the price difference is none/nominal ($10-$15) I would definitely get the onboard graphics version one. You could even sell the PC without the GPU with the non-F version if the mood were to strike.

Reactions: VirtualLarry