Should I drive the 599 or the Gallardo?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JulesMaximus, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Sunny129

Sunny129 Diamond Member

OP, this is a performance driving event. one ride shouldn't be chosen over the other b/c of things like rarety or exclusivity. who cares of the Gallardo is more common? i'd still rather drive a mid engine sports car than a front engine grand touring car...particularly on a circuit.

2. Fenixgoon

Fenixgoon Lifer

ferrari clearly thought it was a better idea to use GM's suspension than to try their own hand at it ;)

3. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

So, it appears that GM didn't design the suspension on the Ferrari as some have claimed. GM R&D had nothing whatsoever to do with it in fact.

Christ... I'm derailing my own thread. :rolleyes: :D

4. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

You do realize that Delphi is more or less a seamless extension of GM, correct? I think it became semi-autonomous due to financial motivations and manipulation.

Same hardware, same tech, not sure what's to argue about there :p

It's okay, sometimes great tech comes from surprising sources. Ferrari doesn't have a fraction of GM's R&D budget (and this obviously extends to surrogates like Delphi). This doesn't take anything away from the fact that Ferrari has produced some absolutely stunning vehicles as of late, something they've really lacked for a very long time. The 70s, 80s, and even to some extent the 90s were filled with models that actually aren't that great all things considered.

5. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

It's a shock absorber... and GM didn't design the suspension on the 599. :p

6. Arkaign

Arkaign Lifer

Sure maybe that's an overstatment. But it's a crazy advanced shock absorber (one that takes the meh Camaro SS into something special with the ZL1). It's telling that they chose to work with Delphi (GM for all practical purposes), from Troy, Michigan, to do this project.

If it weren't worthwhile they wouldn't have done it.
    If it were easy, they'd have done it themselves.

7. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

Never said it wasn't worthwhile or easy. Kind of have to wonder what a replacement shock would cost for that Camaro SS though. :hmm:

8. manimal

manimal Lifer

accidentally put the car in race mode. see if they notice

have fun man. I would probably think the lambo would be a more visceral experience. Both good choices.

9. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

I know, that's why I'm leaning toward it over the Ferrari. I just love mid-engined exotics. If they have an F430 I might drive that one instead.

10. Zap

Zap Elite Member

Yeah, they're just trying to keep up with Ferrari again.

What's next? Sending out a "support team" to make sure that reviewer's Lambos are "tuned properly?" :whiste:

11. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

They say that only 1-2% of Lamborghini Gallardos are ordered with the manual transmission option. I don't think it is even an option for most Ferraris these days unfortunately.

12. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

Damn, really? I knew Ferrari had gotten away from them in favor of 'flappy paddles,' but I know Lambo has continued to offer it on at least the Gallardo (not sure about Murcs) alongside their 'E-shift' or whatever they call it. 1-2% is stunningly low.

I think there may be one good reason to pick the Gallardo- I bet they'll allow faster laps in it, due to the AWD. Basically, I'm thinking maybe you can push it more before your instructor/co-driver guy goes 'WHOA THERE, CHIEF!' and advises you to back off.

I can't imagine they're going to let you drive the 600hp RWD Ferarri in quite the same way. One Jeremy Clarkson PPPPOOOOWEEERRRSSLLLLLIIIDDDEEEEE! and you're probably done for the day.

13. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

Oh I'm sure traction control will be in full effect on all of these cars. I'll let you know though.

14. AMCRambler

AMCRambler Diamond Member

Lamborghini. Definitely. Sooo jealous!