Should I buy Wii U for Super Mario Bros. U?

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
I am very interested in playing Super Mario Bros. U, reviews look pretty good. Looking at this set atm

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii-M...keywords=wii+u

Ive been out of the gaming loop for a bit. For a little background, I grew up on the NES and SNES eg. Super Mario, Contra, Street Fighter II etc. More up to date, I enjoyed stuff like NBA 2K13, Ratchet and Clank series and GTA 5 on PS3. Used to be a multiplayer FPS PC gamer but the last one I played daily was TF2. I loved multiplayer on PC (earlier Call of Duty) but none of it on the console with gamepad eg. COD and Battlefield.

Does the Wii U have enough games to make it worth purchasing the console for? I am looking for laid back, easy to get into but still has great gameplay mechanics and a good story. TIA

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
If you really want to play the Nintendo games, you may find it worthwhile. The only negative point you can make is that the games are a bit more "of the same" rather than something new. However, if you've been out of their ecosystem for a while, you might not mind.

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
You haz friends? I never played NSMB alone, but I always had a blast with coach co-op.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
I just got a Wii U and I am quite enjoying Mario 3D Land. Got it namely for Mario Kart which will get me a free copy of Mario U so looking forward to playing it. I also love that I can play the system in bed with the gamepad while the console is in the living room.

I know people say that all Nintendo games are more of the same but they sure as hell are fun.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
My nephew and I team up in it, its hillarious fun.

Also Mario karts 8 when it comes, get it. There is also a addon for Mario bros U, Luigi Bros U.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I'm going to be the dissenter here because I had a WiiU and Mario for it. Between myself and the people who played it the entire system was just boring. Maybe our gaming tastes have changed or something but I just don't find the current crop of games compelling. I wanted one at first which is what made me buy it, but nothing kept me interested.

I'd probably buy one again when they get a new Zelda game out, a Metroid game, or perhaps even a real 3D Mario adventure more like Galaxy was. Most of the titles on the system are shovelware for younger gamers, games that don't test the waters and are more of the same stuff continued from last gen, and games that are only average and for someone like me don't appeal. It doesn't help that they lack any real focus on their online network and have archaic policies regarding communications and such online.

There has been a lack of games in my view. As I mentioned before there are the Nintendo safe standard titles and a couple attempts at something different that didn't seem to hit the mark for someone like me. All the big 3rd party titles are going to be better on another console, a PC, or just don't come to the WiiU at all (which is a big problem). That leaves only exclusives and I am waiting for a couple key titles to come before I make a decision as to whether I purchase a WiiU again or not.

So I guess if you just have to have Nintendo games and don't want or already have a 3DS/2DS then it's your only option. That's about all I'll say. It's not for me, but it might be alright for you. Only you can really decide.

Last edited:

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
If you're going to buy a Wii U, get one of the refurb units Nintendo is selling directly for $200. Then buy the game and the pro controller. Will come to about $300. Works out to be a much better deal.

The refurbs sold by Nintendo themselves are practically good as new and come with the same warranty.

jdelrio22

Feb 14, 2006
Get NintendoLand and some friends to come over.

Sweet Day is so much fun, just wish there were more maps.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
really simple concept - does the wii-u have games you want to play on it? apparently it does, so it would be worth it to you.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Do you have friends or family come over and physically play games with you? That is where the Wii U excels. NSMB U, SM3DW, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, to a lesser degree Pikmin 3. All are great for couch co-op. And later comes Super Smash Bros U.

The Wii U is really best for only first/second party title, such as the above. It is best paired with a system that can play the big multiplatform titles, such as a PC/PS4/Xbone/PS3/360.

I really like my Wii U, but I recognize it isn't the most versatile system. I already have more games for it than my 360 though.

Note, if you buy Mario Kart 8 and register it before July 31st, you get a free game out of four choices. One of those choices is NSMBU. Other options are Pikmin 3, Windwaker HD, or Wii Party U.

I'd highly recommend Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and New Super Luigi U along with NSMBU.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Keep an eye on this sellers listings, they're an authorized reseller that routinely sell the Mario bundle for $250 and the Skylanders Wii U for $200. Brand new, free shipping. No tax.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Wii-U-3...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Wii-U-8...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Heck, even if you don't care for Skylanders it 's still a $200 U. Same price as a Refurb, but new.

The Cheapassgamer thread may also have updates.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/...rce-8gb-nintendo-wii-u-bundle-200-buycomebay/

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I'm debating getting a Wii U myself, even though I would probably keep it at my sister's house (where it would get more love, since I have a One and a PC as it is). What I would do is get the console with my Target trade-in money (from trading in about $85 in games, I have about $200 in gift cards), and I would get the black one that's out now. You get the two games with it, Mario and Luigi U. Mario Kart 8 is going to come with an offer to get a free game download when you register it online, so I'd buy that game separately, and get Wind Waker or Party U for free, meaning I spent $360 and got 4 games. The alternative is to spend $330 for the Mario Kart bundle and Mario U, but then I'd have to spend $30 on Luigi U, making it $360 as well, but I'd only have 3 games, rather than 4.

I think there are enough decent games coming on the Wii U to make it worth it, but you HAVE to like the games. 3 of the games I listed, I'd definitely play, and I'd at least give Party U or Wind Waker a chance. On top of that, we'll get a new Super Smash Bros. (a franchise I haven't played since GameCube), and Donkey Kong is already out as well. So, that's, to me, a guarantee of 5 good games in by the end of this year, and if you like Wind Waker or Party U, that's 6 games that should all have co-op. I mean, considering I was willing to get a One when it only had 2 games I wanted (Titanfall and Forza) for $500, getting a Wii U with 5-6 games I want for $300 is a steal.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
No.

...but buy it for New Super Mario 3D World...that game is on another level.

or buy it for all of the 1st party titles.

Some people say: Same great Nintendo :(

I say: Same great Nintendo :)

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
Keep an eye on this sellers listings, they're an authorized reseller that routinely sell the Mario bundle for $250 and the Skylanders Wii U for $200. Brand new, free shipping. No tax.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Wii-U-3...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Wii-U-8...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Heck, even if you don't care for Skylanders it 's still a $200 U. Same price as a Refurb, but new.

The Cheapassgamer thread may also have updates.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/...rce-8gb-nintendo-wii-u-bundle-200-buycomebay/

The refurb unit in question is a 32gb system. The skylanders one you linked is an 8gb system.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Can someone who's played the Wii U extensively explain the difference between Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario 3D World to me? They don't look that much different from each other in the pictures, IMO.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Can someone who's played the Wii U extensively explain the difference between Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario 3D World to me? They don't look that much different from each other in the pictures, IMO.

No.

Look it up yourself.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I been playing it. Sawright.
I dont think its worth getting a U just for that. Get a U for ALL the games you wanna play.

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
NSMB=2D side scroller can only move left/right
3D World=3D side scroller can move up/down/left/right; think Mario64 with linear levels.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007

NSMB is a 2D side scroller like the classic NES and SNES games. SM3DW is very similar to 3D Land on the 3DS. Just go to youtube and check out some gameplay videos.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Not worth it for a single player game which you will eventually finish. Potentially worth it for a multiplayer game you will play endlessly with friends (like Mario Kart 8).

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Thanks for the replies! Super Mario, Mario kart and donkey Kong? Sold on retro gaming with modern graphics! Just getting sick of the usual stuff out there, PC and console. I guess I will buy it since I am looking for the first party titles.

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
How's the new Wii u controller? Doubt I will play much on the small screen but it does look convenient.. How does it compare say for super Mario's (2d or 3d) vs. The Wii controller?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
How's the new Wii u controller? Doubt I will play much on the small screen but it does look convenient.. How does it compare say for super Mario's (2d or 3d) vs. The Wii controller?

Just buy a pro controller or a third party one. I own the pro controller and the Nyko one. I'm not 100% sold on the pro controller's awkward layout, which is probably because I'm so used to the 360 (cross-stick) or PlayStation (bottom-stick) layout. The only problem is that Nyko didn't design their charging USB port the same as the Nintendo controller, and because of that, it won't work in most chargers (it's inverted and not positioned at the same distance from the edge of the controller).

Although, as for Mario Kart, I'm still not sold on that vs. Sonic Racing. I guess it doesn't help that Sonic Racing released at $40 ($20 less than the upcoming Mario Kart), and you can get it for much cheaper now. :$ What's really odd is that Mario Kart 8 actually does battles the same way as Sonic Racing, which is apparently not pleasing many fans (it's probably the second con along with poor online capability).

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I got the bundle with Super Mario and Super Luigi, then the Mario and Luigi MotionPlus controllers, using the Target credit I got from their terribly-managed trade-in program. My only complaint is that they don't let you use the tablet to play Mario co-op, instead FORCING you to be the tablet god for those you play with. However, I love that you can play with the TV off/on another input, that's really cool.

I'm looking into the Toys R Us offer now, where you can get Mario Kart 8, then get 40% off any other Wii U game you buy. Getting MK8 for $60, Donkey Kong for $36, then the free bonus game DL from Nintendo (probably Wind Waker or Party U), all for about $100? That sounds like a DEAL.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm looking into the Toys R Us offer now, where you can get Mario Kart 8, then get 40% off any other Wii U game you buy. Getting MK8 for $60, Donkey Kong for $36, then the free bonus game DL from Nintendo (probably Wind Waker or Party U), all for about $100? That sounds like a DEAL.

I was looking into doing that as well, but the problem is... I already own all the good games. :( The only game that strikes my fancy would be Sonic Lost World, but I heard that it isn't very good anyway. The game has already hit $30 before at Amazon, which makes a $50->$30 discount not that great. I would probably be happier if I bought Wind Waker and then sold the code. I've never been a fan of digital games anyway.