Should I buy this 21in CRT off Ebay?

sje2081

Jan 26, 2003
Thinking about getting the monitor below off Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2303120396&category=3696

Stats seem okay on it? It's trinitron and the refresh rates seem
good, though I cannot find much info on the model number. Figure for
$250 w/shipping, I could get 2 of these for what it would cost me to
get a decent 21 inch new through Newegg. Any thoughts, warnings, etc?
I mostly will be using it for basic internet use and gaming. Use XP and a GF4 4200.

Currently using a dying 19 inch CTX pos so I figure most anything will
be an upgrade.

I appreciate any input or advice.

--
SJE

May 15, 2002
Well, it's "refurbished" -- whatever that means with respect to a monitor.
The seller's feedback looks a little "iffy" to me...
Make sure you know what it's gonna cost to get it to your door -- and what if it's damaged in shipment, or just plain bad?

I'd say you can do better, if you're patient.
I'd also recommend that you consider a Hitachi 21" -- I use one at work, and it's the best CRT I've ever seen.

Good luck!

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
Your basically getting a used monitor that must've been broken. It'll probably have some type of defect. I would rather get a good 19" for around $300. No shops in your area that sells monitors. That's where I would look for one.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
on't i bought one off ebay shipped broken then had a heck of a fight to get my money back

oh wait its your money but my lesson made me rethink ebay;)

TourGuide

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2000
Thinking about getting the monitor below
Don't do it. Reasons:
1. It's a refurb.
2. If you have trouble with it you're SOL.
3. It's not THAT great a deal.
4. It's a refurb.

get a decent 21 inch new through Newegg.
Do NOT order monitors though Newegg. If you have a problem they are a PITA to deal with on monitors. Order through Dell you'll be much happier and get free shipping too. Plus if you have a problem they will send you a return shipping label which will save you $80 on a big daddy monitor.

If price is your bottom line, then look for the best combination of price/customer service options. If you want a decent monitor it is going to cost you some money. I know that is not what you wanted to hear, but it is true.

sje2081

Jan 26, 2003
I appreciate the advice, I will hold out for a new one :)
Wish I didn't have to buy it online at all, but seems like local stores cost so much more compared to the online retailers...even more so than usual with other computer equip.

tenoc

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2002
Why take a chance on Ebay when you can get a guaranteed one for the same price from Dell?

These are off-lease ones reconditioned by DFS, ones that have been working fine for some one for a couple of years.

Metalloid

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I just bought an HP P1110 21" Refurbished from a place near me (save on shipping) and I absolutely love it. This place does sell stuff on ebay but I bought directly from them. Just be careful who you deal with. If you want to check them out its www.secondwindpcs.com.

sje2081

Jan 26, 2003
Thanks for the tips.

I wish I had one of those second hand places near me, but I cannot find one in Houston. Shipping aside, I'd love to go to a location and check it out before I buy.

Looking into those Dell refurbished...I need to find out their return policy if I get a poor quality one. Are the Dell 21 in. 1600HT good monitors? If I have ship it back on my own $ if its DOA or damaged I may as well buy off Ebay. Other minus with Dell is I'd probably have to pay sales tax.