Should I buy it?

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I was looking at a jeep cj7 today, it is a 1976 model, with 150,000 original miles on it. It is the levi strauss edition, and is brown in color. When the owner turned it on it made a clicking sound and it did it every 10 seconds approximately. He said he is not sure what is wrong with it, either the clutch or the transmission, and I wasn't too sure either. The body is pretty solid with no rust, and he has put 31" mud terrain tires on it with some pretty nice aluminum mags. He is asking $2000, is it worth it to get it? and anyone have any idea what that clicking could be?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Atlantean, personally I think 2K is too much for a '76 Jeep. As for the clicking noce, was it present while driving and sitting in park?

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Clicking sounds like a valve problem, could just be a sticky lifter that would never cause a problem, or it could fail, and take most of the upper half of the motor with it.

Ticking could also be an small exhaust leak, but if it does it off and on, I would suspect valvetrain issues.

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
WHat should I offer him though? And the sound was present when in neutral when the vehicle was stopped, and when driving, only second gear could be used.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Atlantean
WHat should I offer him though? And the sound was present when in neutral when the vehicle was stopped, and when driving, only second gear could be used.

Absolutely nothing, but if you must, 1k tops. If you don't know what it is, you might need to do some serious work on it. Its atleast 50/50 that he does know what's wrong with it but won't offer the info because its probably serious. Get a car thats mechanically sound unless you want to make a hobby car out of this one and its your 2nd car.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Atlantean

Dude, this is, how shall I say? "A hint and a half fo'yo @ss!" Tranny is toast. Transfer case is prolly toast. UJoints held together with twine. Ticking noise could just be a sticking lifter, but based on the condition of the rest of the vehicle, it's prolly one of the the valve stems banging around in the head b/c the guides are shot.

Yes, this is a collectible edtion Jeep...for someone with the expertise, time, money and knowledge to restore it, or use it for parts. I don't know your situation, but being that you are asking these questions (smart) I would say that you are not qualified to buy this vehicle with the intentions of fixing it up. Paying someone to fix it will cost you big bucks in parts and labor. Pass on this one.

JJd

Apr 20, 2000
Atlantean:
Do NOT purchase that Jeep.
But, I'll bet $5 that you do because:
It's in your price-range (for now)
Jeeps are cool
You like the mudders
good luck...

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Well the deal sounds less and less sweet all the time, you can only use 2nd gear......... I bet that gets pretty old on about day 2.

Keep looking, you will find a better deal, on a nicer truck.